FAT CHANCE!

2007 White ASR Pro Build

Here are the pictures:

Notice that this bike does not have the full carbon rear like the bike in this picture. I think that maybe an upgrade option???

mtbr member
    I love it! The color's just like the new ASX color.

In case no one realized the obvious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    sweet looking bike - thanks for posting the pictures Roy.

Apart from the red? Does anyone know if the paint scheme of the 575 is changing for 2007? i.e. is it getting the two-tone scheme of the ASR?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Very nice indeed. The new desing looks very nice and to top it off the new XTR looks awesome.

Thanks for the pics!

FAT CHANCE!
    I am currently testing a 2006 ASR race disc build. I have gone on a couple rides (caught the flu this last week so not much riding time) But on the 3 rides I have done, I love how this bike climbs, and the descent is so much faster. I am pretty good with my lines since I have rode a Hard tail for the last 14 years, but riding this bike I notice that taking the best line is actually slowing this bike down and that you can take a more direct approach down the hill.

Same for going up. The ASR lets you go over objects (rocks, loose stuff, water bars, and tree roots) and the suspension keeps the tire glued to the trail to maintain the traction on the climb. You can actually clime faster and straighter with this bike. I should not that I think the Maxxis Ignitor tire (not the UST one) is a great tire. I was just as impressed with the handling and climbing of this tire as I was with the Yeti ASR. My only grip with this bike was actually the build. Being the Race Disc build, the rotational weight on this bike is heavy (for me). I am use to a 24+ pound HT, and this bike is 27+ pounds. The brakes, wheels are my first culprits. Building an ASR up to a weight equal to my hard tail I think would make me a lethal weapon and I could become more dangerous on race day! And yet be able to build a bike that is solid to ride around for training and trail riding.

So the day I took these pictures I also did a little parking lot ride. We all no how much you get out of those, but I was only trying to look a specific characteristics from a heavier build to a lighter build of the same bike. And I was trying to see how well the new XTR stuff worked.

The 2007 Pro Build: The bike is a lot lighter off the line. I noticed that I could get more acceleration and get the rubber on this bike moving quicker than I could on the race disc build. I think a lot of that had to do with the new XTR wheels (Iíll get to in a moment) and the frame being a bit stiffer with the carbon Chainstays. So I was stopping and starting from a stop a lot to see the pick up and go and it brought a smile to my face. I liked how responsive this set up was. Now with al the stopping and starting I got to try the new XTR disc breaks out. They didnít have any more power that the Juicy 5ís on the Race disc, but they did seem to engage a bit quicker, which caught me off guard a bit some times. I did like the shimano levers over the Avids!

The new Fox fork works perfect, but now the dials are laser etched on the top so itís easier to know which way you are adjusting the fork on the fly. I meant to mess around with the RP23 but forgot; I meant to snap a pict of it too but forgot that as well. So I guess it really didnít stand out to me in the parking lot ride (good or bad).

Now for the drive chain on this thing. The XTR cranks are beautiful! A work of art that is solid!! And the shifting on the crank (especially in the low chain ring and the middle is amazing!!! (Most impressive part to me of the new XTR stuff) It was lightening fast moving up and down the front chain rings. Even doing some cross chaining it would get in there so quick! I would highly recommend these cranks off of a parking lot test to be on your lists of items to get!! The front derailleur may have had something to do with it but the chain just glided so fast back and forth with each click. Now for the clicking. I like the XTR shifters (these new ones) you can up shift with you thumb one or two gears (by pressing further in) and the trigger (finger) shifts down one gear at a time. If you press your trigger shifter from the other side with your thumb (like on SRAM triggers) you shift up 2 gears with one quick push. And they pods are adjustable for your fingers so you can dial them into your hands.

Rear derailleur was good but I actually think the SRAM X.O shifts much quicker than the new XTR. Itís a push here for me. I would go either way on this one if I didnít already have a X.O to put on a bike.

XTR Wheels. The Wheels felt very solid and quick. The rear hub seems to engage very quickly and get your power put into the wheel right away. The wheels feel a lot lighter than the DT Swiss hubs and rims on the 06 race disk build. These would be great for racing as they are very serviceable (ball bearings) if you have a muddy ride or race, you can get them cleaned up and back into their prime again. I know some people donít want to rebuild their hubs so this is maybe a hit or miss with some people.

Thompson stem and seat post are well made and beautiful to look at, I just think the stem could be lighten up and maybe a little lower profile. I think the WTB saddle is a comfortable over some others out there, maybe not one of the lightest but this area of comfort is one of the most important areas if youíre planning on ridding well or suffering on a lot of rides. The Raceface handlebar is fine. I sometimes feel it is very wide and then other times I donít notice it. I like the Easton bars and riser bars and only have had these couple rides of experience with the Raceface ones.

Overall I think the New ASR build with the XTR stuff is a hit! I think the new white paint job looks very sharp and matches the new FOX forks (coincidence? I think not with all the new white components coming out) . Wait till they come out with white carbon fiber???

Thatís about all I can remember, but if I think of anything I will throw it in.

FAT CHANCE!
    Saw 2 ASR Builds yesterday with the 2007 pro build on them during my ride (Testing out the 2006 ASR with the race build). In fact I saw 4 other ASR's on my ride. One 575. Then there were only 6 other riders I saw during the day. Pretty high % of Yetis in the area (oh they are only built 4 miles away from this trail) But I was surprised to see the 2007 builds out there already!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Love the paintjob, i would have never thought white and silver would go together so well, liking the quality pedals as well!!

coffee

2007?

I'm confused and excited to see this bike. I'm planning on buying a 2007 ASR-sl pro when it becomes available. I called Yeti last week and they said they could tell me nothing about it and that I'd have to wait until January 2007. So what's the deal? Who's got them already and why is Yeti being secretive about a bike that's already out?

Ami Schwein
    nice pedals.....sick bike.
    Wait until Spring Bandini

FAT CHANCE!
    this look like the change they are doing with the yeti name down the down tube.

I took this picture form the www.yetifan.com website!!!! Another great source of yeti information for those of you that don't know already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

AS-R colors

What colors are offered for the 07 AS-R? Are the AS-Rs on the Yeti website 06 models? Where do I find pix of the 07 colors for AS-R and 575?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    The website hasn't been updated yet... The pics on this thread are the most current I have seen thus far....