mtbr member
    Apr 2012

1X10 Drivetrain on SB-95

I used to think talk about weight was way overdone... it just didn't make any sense to me.
    Then, I went to Moab and rented a bike. It was the Turner Sultan (29). It was a great bike and felt undoubtedly a lot lighter than my SB-95... I was really shocked by how much lighter it felt.

Sure, it'd be great to get the carbon SB-95, but that's not in the cards for me for a while. So, I'd like to figure out if I can cut some weight off my 95a.

I have the Shimano XT 3x10 setup from the Race kit.... I haven't used my small chainring in probably 9 months. I use the big chainring less than 10% of the time. So, I'm considering converting the 3x10 to 1x10.

Have any SB-95 owners done this and noticed any demonstrable weight advantage?

What's the estimated cost for doing the conversion with a bashguard and any other necessary pieces? Does it save enough weight to be worth it?

I've looked a little at XX1, but am wondering if I can do a poor-man's version...?

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Do yourself a favor and at least try it. If you needed more climbing ease, you could always pick up an X9 crank and run all the way down to a 27T front ring.

I have a 30T NSB ring and a 11-36 cassette on my 95c and it works well.

Also, do yourself a favor and don't ride a 95c unless you are ready to order one. It is that good, period.

mtbr member
    Just yesterday I switched out my s1000 3x to an xx1 (32) crankset. However, still running 10 in the rear. Weight savings? Yes! How much? Not sure just yet, but very noticable! I keep wanting to pick it up just to giggle.

Weight savings was the reason why I went with this set up. Prior to going this route, I tested my endurance with remaining on the middle ring (33) at all times. I managed... in Colorado.

Took the new setup on a leisure ride with the wife this morning - felt great. Going out in a few for another ride to really test it.

I wanna guess (hope) I saved about 1.5 pounds...

Root Master
    I went from an X7 double to an XX1 crank and kept everything else the same. The crank change and getting rid of the front shifter and derailleur saved me right at a pound.
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member

1X10 Drivetrain on SB-95

I'd think you'd find bigger and more noticeable weight savings in the tires and wheels setup. Not only are you saving static weight but also rotational. What's your current setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @KrisR - I've got Flow EX rims and DT 350 hubs, tubeless. I like the Flow's width and durability. I'm sure I could save a ton if I could get the Enve All-Mountains. But, would anything in the same price range as the Flows save many pounds?

Others:
    Sounds like the early consensus is that it's worth doing a conversion. Thanks. I'll probably try it soon.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Carver makes some apparently decent carbon rims, and Light Bicycle of China has a "wider" 29er carbon rim, both are on the order of 100-150 grams lighter than the Flow EX and should in theory be competitive in strength/durability/rigidity - possibly more-so. I haven't tried them myself but there are plenty of anecdotal evidence of people being happy with them. They seem to run 160-250 per rim. If they last 2x to 3x as long while providing the weight savings that may be worth-while.

OP, which tires are you running? If you can, something light and fast but sturdy enough could make a very noticeable change too. I am seriously thinking about playing with the Ikon again this year once the 2.35" one comes out, put that on the front and the 2.2" on the back and it'd be a very fast rolling combination ... just not a combo I'd feel happy with in seriously wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    OP, which tires are you running?
    Specialized Ground Control 2.3 in back, and Specialized Butcher 2.3 in front.