Adobo Lover

1st crank and bb install- XT 760's

UPS just delivered the tool and crankset with bb, XT 760's for my 2004 575. I usually let the professionals mess with my drivetrain. I do everything else myself. However, with a fast growing baby girl and the wife staying home being a full time mom, I've got to do it myself.
    So, any tips, things to look out for with these cranks or the install in general? I still have to take out the Truvativ isis bb too. From my research, I've got a 73mm bb. I should use one 2.5 spacer on the drive side. Any help will be appreciated!!!!
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yep, one spacer on the drive side should do it. Besides that, just follow the instructions and don't preload the bearing too much by overtightening the little "preload nut" on the non-drive side, just go until it "feels resistance". The XT hollowtech 2 are awesome, I have used mine for a little over 2 years and are now in my 575

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A few tips...don't overtorque the two pinch bolts on the left crank arm. Max 15nm...I highly suggest you use a torque wrench.

Also, grease the pinch bolts, crank axle and clean and grease the edges of the bottom bracket/bearing cups before install...its really quite an easy install.

Oh yeah.. as EJBlur says, be careful with those bolts. I always use a torque wrench and even so, one of the threads stripped a bit (a longer screw fixed the problem, but I guess I was lucky)

Don't get scared, just be careful

Cheers,
    Cris

Adobo Lover
    So, there is no need to use blue loctite on the bottom bracket, just grease? Should I clean up the stock shimano grease and reapply some new stuff? Thanks guys for the tips guys.

mtbr member
    this really is very easy - I believe you could train a monkey to do it. Once it's done you'll be supprised you'd ever pay someone to. I believe the BB cups come with locktite pre-applied, which should be fine.

99% od the bad installs I've seen on these where overtightened bearing preload - which is why they are getting rid of that adjustment in the 07 XTR. This whole system was mainly designed to make installation easy.

Are you from the DC area? I see an amazingly similar message on the MORE forums.

Adobo Lover
    Thanks for the info Joules. Yes, I'm down in Woodbridge area. I figured I would cover all my bases with posting in the MORE forum also. Managed to get the old bb last night, just trying to clean the bb up before install.

Adobo Lover

Thanks for the help!!!

That was easier than I thought it would be. Straight forward. I haven't actually rode it yet but everything is good to go at this point. Thanks again.

Great! Enjoy your new cranks.

Cheers,
    Cris

Adobo Lover
    What happens if you don't tighten the bearing preload enough? What is the chainline length for the 575? 47.5 or 50? Should I be worried about this?

If you don't put enough preload, I suppose you could have some play or clicking noises... The chainline seems to be spot on 50mm, you could get a 47.5 by switching the spacer to the non drive side, but at 50 the chainline seems spot on (at least on my bike).

Don't worry much about it... just pay a little attention to it, but it is unlikely that you have problems I think. The preload nut requires very little torque, you could just tighten it by hand and it would probably be enough.

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member

760 install - too much preload = squeek?

Ok, speaking of shimano installs...I've got a noise that appears to be BB related.

Squeek may not be the exact term, as it almost has a metallic ringing component to the sound, like metal on metal.

Built up my 575 a few weeks ago, and in my excitement to get riding, might have overdone the preload on the 760 BB a little. Now I've got a little squeek when pedaling that I'm guessing is coming from the BB area. Everything feels OK, and the crank spins freely, shifts perfectly, and so on. All components were brand new at build up, and the BB axle went in so well that I believe the frame is faced properly. I gave the cups plenty of torque when they went in, so I don't think they are at fault, and as mentioned, this doesn't seem like the 'typical' BB creak. I pulled the BB back out, regreased everything, and reassembled; afterwards it was quiet for a few miles, but then started to squeek again. Seems worse under moderate load, like a long easy seated climb.
    This is the only thing marring an otherwise perfect bike - ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jehull
    Ok, speaking of shimano installs...I've got a noise that appears to be BB related.

Squeek may not be the exact term, as it almost has a metallic ringing component to the sound, like metal on metal.

Built up my 575 a few weeks ago, and in my excitement to get riding, might have overdone the preload on the 760 BB a little. Now I've got a little squeek when pedaling that I'm guessing is coming from the BB area. Everything feels OK, and the crank spins freely, shifts perfectly, and so on. All components were brand new at build up, and the BB axle went in so well that I believe the frame is faced properly. I gave the cups plenty of torque when they went in, so I don't think they are at fault, and as mentioned, this doesn't seem like the 'typical' BB creak. I pulled the BB back out, regreased everything, and reassembled; afterwards it was quiet for a few miles, but then started to squeek again. Seems worse under moderate load, like a long easy seated climb.
    This is the only thing marring an otherwise perfect bike - ideas?
    grease and tighten pedal spindles and chainring bolts also.

Adobo Lover
    1st ride on the new crankset today. All is well. Yippie!!!!!

Great! Enjoy the cranks!