Thread: 1990 Pro FRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

1990 Pro FRO

I have a Yeti PRO FRO that was probably made around 1990. I bought it used in 1992 and resurected it 8 months ago as a road bike. It has a full Deore XT group with bullseye cranks and Scott Petersen SE cantilever brakes. It also has the 1st generation Manitou suspension forks that used the polyurethane bumpers, the forks are dead and have no travel left. The bike is in otherwise great condition and rides very well. I bought a Rocly Mtn. Slayer 70 6 months ago and now that I got a road bike 2 months ago, the Yeti just sits around. It is just taking up room in my garage now and I am considering selling it.

Any idea what it might be worth? if anyone is interested, I can post some pics.

If I could find a set of forks for it, I might keep it as a bike to take friends out on XC rides on it. Is there a way to make non-threaded forks fit on this bike? I believe the headset is not a standard size, if I recall correctly.

Thanks.

Hi!!!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Turn the FRO into a singlespeed!!!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    It is very likely that you can find a headset/adapter or 1" fork to use on that frame. I would expect that the frame has a 1 inch headtube which reduces your options, but there are some... If it has a 1 1/4" headtube you can find a reducer headsets for it... the standard nowadays is 1 1/8"

Hope this helps,
    Cris

mtbr member
    I'm sure you could make somthing fit. I believe that frame used a 1 1/4" headset - king makes a headset that will let you run a 1 1/8" threadless fork (of course you'd need a new stem too).

I think the bigger prob will be finding one with similar travel, as modern forks have at least 80-100mm, that manitou probably had less than 50. Upping the travel that much will screw the handling up.

Also, if you get a new fork you will need new brakes, as no fork out there I'm aware of has canti mounts. Good thing, those scott SEs where death traps...

I have a rock shox mag21 (heavily used, but still functional last I checked - I believe they are still serviceable). I couldn't bring myself to toss it. I'd consider swapping it for your broken fork if you want (just because I like fiddleing, and I've never actually taken apart an old Manitou).

OTOH, that frame might be worth somthing on ebay. The VRC crowd can go pretty nuts sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joules

Also, if you get a new fork you will need new brakes, as no fork out there I'm aware of has canti mounts. Good thing, those scott SEs where death traps...
    The brake mounts for cantis and V-brakes are the same so that shouldn't be an issue, however as you say having a short travel fork could be hard...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    The brake mounts for cantis and V-brakes are the same so that shouldn't be an issue, however as you say having a short travel fork could be hard...
    no cantis need a hanger/housing stop in the center which no modern fork has. hence no modern fork can run cantis.

I remember there were some headset spacer/housing stops available exactly for that purpose, I will try to find an online source for those.... if not, one could switch to V-brakes on both sides at a minimum cost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I remember there were some headset spacer/housing stops available exactly for that purpose, I will try to find an online source for those.... if not, one could switch to V-brakes on both sides at a minimum cost

I guess you don't remember cantilever brakes.
    What you described is a good option with rigid forks, and is the most common way of anchoring the housing stop on cross bikes. The stop needs to be rigidly connected to the brake bosses, so they don't work with suspension forks. If you tried to use a stem or headset mounted cable stop, your brake wouldn't work if the suspension compressed - the brake cable would effectivly get longer as the suspension compressed.

Like I said, those scott SE brakes are dangerous anyway. They move in a helical path with wheel rotation - they can and will get into a positive feedback situation, where releasing the brake lever will not cause the brake to release until you get under a certain speed.

Who is John Galt?
    Post some pics -- I'd like to see your bike.
    What, me hurry?

I guess you don't remember cantilever brakes.
    What you described is a good option with rigid forks, and is the most common way of anchoring the housing stop on cross bikes. The stop needs to be rigidly connected to the brake bosses, so they don't work with suspension forks. If you tried to use a stem or headset mounted cable stop, your brake wouldn't work if the suspension compressed - the brake cable would effectivly get longer as the suspension compressed.

Like I said, those scott SE brakes are dangerous anyway. They move in a helical path with wheel rotation - they can and will get into a positive feedback situation, where releasing the brake lever will not cause the brake to release until you get under a certain speed.

You are right, I stand corrected, the part I was thinking about is definitely for rigid forks...

However, as i said before, a V-brake conversion (if desired by the O.P.) can be easily done on a modern short travel fork at least.

Cheers,
    cris

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Reducer is available from places like Pricepoint and are in stock...

I am doing a 1993 Pro Fro as a 9 speed and they are out there. The only big issue is the fork; I am trying to find an Accu-Trac but going custom is an option...it is worth it IMO it is such a sweet ride!

mtbr member
    sorry if I was snappy, cantilever brakes still upset me - I really, really hate those things. Can't tell you how many times I wanted to ride but couldn't because it took a frekin' hour to change pads! Getting to stop for crap was always a challange too...

to the OP, if you want that rockshox fork I have a set of cheapie v-brakes you can have too, and at least 1, maybe 2 threadless stems if you want to do this on the cheap.

sorry if I was snappy, cantilever brakes still upset me - I really, really hate those things. Can't tell you how many times I wanted to ride but couldn't because it took a frekin' hour to change pads! Getting to stop for crap was always a challange too...
    No prob.. I also hated adjusting cantis... I wanted Vs so bad, when I got my first set the local importer didn't even have matching levers, so i run them with levers for cantis for a couple of months :d

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Dazedone! check your PM's Im hoping this is my old bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here are some photos:

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Joules, is your Avatar from the Miyazaki (sp) movie The Cat Returns?
    M

Now... harder to kill.
    Check your PMs.
    "My Life is violent, but violence is life" - Ice T

WANTED: A 20" Yeti frameset

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedone
    Here are some photos:

Beautiful! Ahhh reminds me of the old days waving hi to Juli Furtado at the Iron Horse...LOVE them old Manitous!