ah, hamburgers

180mm rear disc on a Big Top, why not?

Is there a good reason that I shouldn't put a 180mm disc on the back of my Big Top?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Yeti's site doesn't say you can't.
    For the ARC and ASR it says 160 max, for the ASR5 is says 185 max, for big top, no mention of max rotor.

would be good enough for me.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    I go about 200 full kit and ride a large BT...160 has been plenty for me on the rear. All 180 buys is weight, IMHO.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

ah, hamburgers
    Thanks Joules, I was thinking the same- if they dont say not to, it will be fine.

Snigs, you and I probably ride differently. Im about 170lbs. all dressed and Im looking for more than "plenty". (I havent used a 160 rotor since I had a 26")

Do the folks from Yeti have any words of condemnation?

Thanks again
    Last edited by big err; 08-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    i didn't go there just for weight issues. and with (xt) 160 in the back and 180 in the front pretty well dialed in, they feel pretty well balanced. i wouldn't want better response in the back without an improvement in the front.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FWIW, my SB95 came 180/160 and until I started doing rides with extended downhills (e.g. over 1/2 to 1 mile long) I didn't have a problem, the Shimano XT ice-tech pads even with plain rotors worked great.

At the speeds I was pushing on the longer/more-severe stuff I managed a few times to completely fade-out the rear brake and scare the crap out of myself (almost). So, I upped the rear rotor to 180 to compensate. Still get boiling-hot rotor/calipers, but the brakes don't fade any more.

I do not think I'd hit these hills as aggressively on a hardtail (as in I haven't on my Niner MCR hit them as hard over the previous 2 years) so I expect the BT will be great with the 160 rear for most people.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by big err View Post
    Snigs, you and I probably ride differently. Im about 170lbs. all dressed and Im looking for more than "plenty". (I havent used a 160 rotor since I had a 26")
    I don't ease it along. I run a 185 up front and that does the trick. For comparison's sake, I run 203/180 Tech M4s on my 66. They are what's needed there. I think the greater contact patch of the 29er tire makes up for the smaller rotor in a way, too (brakes are only as good as the tire to the ground). I still believe you'll be fine with a 160. However, I'd call Yeti. If they say ok and that's what you want....go for it. It's your bike!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com