Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

142 x 12 Shimano QR through-axle availability?

Newb here.... trying to get ducks in a row for a wheelset upgrade for a 2010 ASR 5.

I'm considering getting the chipset to convert to 12x142mm through-axle as part of this "upgrade"--probably don't really need it, but it's a "while I'm at it" kind of thing....

Checked with Yeti and they have the chipset available--although I can't find it on the website (??). Yeti also said the ONLY chipset they have and support is requires the Shimano axle. (No more support for the DT Swiss axle.)

Shimano part #: ISMAX75A. This seems to be in super-short supply. I found only one website that says it is in stock and it's a) in Austrailia b) costs about 2x more than it should--not even considering shipping.

I called Shimano USA and they say it's not available and have no info on when/if it will be. Apparently you can't get one even if you buy the Shimano XTR rear hub that uses it.

Searching reveals that this situation (out of stock) is at least a couple of months old at this point. The only relevant data I've found is that one website estimates delivery within "7-8 weeks".

This isn't an urgent situation, and I probably could live quite happily with a standard 10x135 QR axle, but I'd like to have this option open.

Does anyone have a source for these and/or any info on what's going on?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

MC MasterShake
    Completive Cycles claims they'll have some on Monday. We'll see. I'm kind of annoyed as I spent the cash for the chip kit and the hub adaptor and now it appears Yeti only supports an axle that is vapor-ware.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Completive Cycles claims they'll have some on Monday. We'll see. I'm kind of annoyed as I spent the cash for the chip kit and the hub adaptor and now it appears Yeti only supports an axle that is vapor-ware.
    I was following your thread and that's one of the reasons I called Yeti to clarify whether there were actually two flavors available, or that they had just switched to the Shimano design. I would think your Yeti dealer would exchange for the "proper" set? Especially since J.P. offered to give them a call and set them straight on this point.

I discussed my wheelset plans with the LBS/Yeti dealer, and was assured that they wouldn't have any problem coming up with the axle, but I didn't go into great detail with them.

As far as the axle being vaporware...I hope not! And I suspect that it's highly unlikely since Shimano sells hubs and wheelsets that use them. In theory, the fact that Shimano advertises and sells $1,500 XTR wheelsets that use the XTR rear hub and this axle, might be the reason that everyone else is short---who knows?

If you hear from Competitive, please follow up here. I may order one just to have it just in case!

P.S. Did Competitive give you a price?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the Shimano kit and axle...I'm just waiting on the King conversion kit - it's pretty slow coming out too. I'm in Canada and got my axle through a local shop...but you might try Calgary Cycle - I believe they were the supplier for my shop - think they're the main distributor in Canada.

mtbr member

The plot thickens....

I got excited and gave Competitive Cyclist a call. They were just closing up but the guy I spoke with said he that he didn't have any definitive data, but that there was some kind of hush-hush "new bike" announcement that was relevant to this axle's availability. I asked if it was related to the SB-66 but he really didn't know and/or couldn't say.

I checked Yeti's website to see if the SB-66 used the 12 x 142 axle stock, but it looks like it's an option just like the ASR's and 575's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    I have the Shimano kit and axle...I'm just waiting on the King conversion kit - it's pretty slow coming out too. I'm in Canada and got my axle through a local shop...but you might try Calgary Cycle - I believe they were the supplier for my shop - think they're the main distributor in Canada.
    Thanks for the tip. I called them and they don't have any. Said that every one that they get in goes out as part of a new Yeti--they're Yeti dealers.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Is the Shimano XTR hub the only hub that will work with the shimano thru axle? I cant imagine so but If thats the case Yeti has really dropped the ball on this.

Seems like a lot of hassle when there are other options readily available. I use the Hope Pro 2's with the bolt on kit in standard DO's and its plenty stiff. I would also consider a 10mm thru axle hub using the DT thru bolt on standard DO's. Just something to consider.

C

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Oh and if you use Hope hubs with the 10mm option now, you could easily change the axle to 12mm thru when Yeti supports a axle supplier who is prepared to deliver product.

C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    Is the Shimano XTR hub the only hub that will work with the shimano thru axle? I cant imagine so but If thats the case Yeti has really dropped the ball on this.
    I'm not qualified to say--I don't know. But I don't think so. I'm assuming that the Shimano through-axle will work with any hub that supports that standard.

Seems like a lot of hassle when there are other options readily available. I use the Hope Pro 2's with the bolt on kit in standard DO's and its plenty stiff. I would also consider a 10mm thru axle hub using the DT thru bolt on standard DO's. Just something to consider.

....Oh and if you use Hope hubs with the 10mm option now, you could easily change the axle to 12mm thru when Yeti supports a axle supplier who is prepared to deliver product.C
    That's a good option, for sure. Again, I'm a newb and trying to wrap my wits around the whole procedure. If I understand one of the replies from my thread on getting new wheels/hubs, the ONLY advantage to getting a "native" 142mm hub is that there would be just a bit more stiffness if the hub body were wider--as opposed to have 3.5mm extensions stuck on the ends of a 135mm hub.

One of my options, would be to pick up a good used wheelset, but I have to understand these compatibility issues before I feel confident doing that. I want to be ready to pull the trigger when I run across something that's a good deal--either new or used. Pretty focused on Mavic 819 rims with Hope 2 PRO EVO hubs right now.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    You are looking at a solid wheelset. The great thing is it could be used today on your current drop outs and then easily changed to 12x142 when those parts become available. I'd bet if you used the DT 10mm thru bolt on a hope 10mm thru hub or the bolt on option you won't look back(other than to check on your buddies). The advantage of the thru bolt over bolt on is the ease of wheel removal. Not sure on your thoughts of hub noise but the Hopes do buzz when freewheeling.

heres a link to the thru bolt
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...thru-bolt.aspx

heres a link with some Hope hub info
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Disc+Hubs.aspx

heres an ebay link to a hope hub with 10mm bolt on
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hope-Pro-2-Rear-...item20a23d47eb

the beauty of the bolt on is you dont have to buy a thru bolt or axle. the bolts come with the hub. Oh and I have bought from this guy and gotten excellent service each time.

C

mtbr member
    You are looking at a solid wheelset. The great thing is it could be used today on your current drop outs and then easily changed to 12x142 when those parts become available. I'd bet if you used the DT 10mm thru bolt on a hope 10mm thru hub or the bolt on option you won't look back(other than to check on your buddies). The advantage of the thru bolt over bolt on is the ease of wheel removal. Not sure on your thoughts of hub noise but the Hopes do buzz when freewheeling.

heres a link to the thru bolt
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...thru-bolt.aspx

heres a link with some Hope hub info
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Disc+Hubs.aspx

heres an ebay link to a hope hub with 10mm bolt on
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hope-Pro-2-Rear-...item20a23d47eb

the beauty of the bolt on is you dont have to buy a thru bolt or axle. the bolts come with the hub. Oh and I have bought from this guy and gotten excellent service each time.

C
    Curtis,

Thanks for the info and links. If I were to make decision today, I would definitely just get the Hopes and find a 10mm through-bolt or axle.

One question/observation though--the link refers to Hope Pro 2 (not Pro 2 EVO). If I wanted to keep the 12 x 142 option open, I believe I read somewhere that the conversion kits for the Hope Pro 2 hubs are available ONLY for "EVO's" and not the "plain" Pro 2's?? OTOH, I suspect that you're right about not really looking back if I settled for the Hope + 10mm through-axle combo.

As a newb, I'm always amazed by the amazing amount of "devil in the details" I run into whenever I stick my nose into something new!

Here's a good link I found with a detailed comparison of Hope 2, Chris King, DT Swiss, i-9, True Precision and Hadley hubs. The Hope 2's seem to be the best overall bang for the buck. I also found a bunch of Youtube videos with the SOUNDS of all these. They are all kind of noisy in a weird/good kind of way.

http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/h...hope-a581.html

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    I'm not qualified to say--I don't know. But I don't think so. I'm assuming that the Shimano through-axle will work with any hub that supports that standard.

That's a good option, for sure. Again, I'm a newb and trying to wrap my wits around the whole procedure. If I understand one of the replies from my thread on getting new wheels/hubs, the ONLY advantage to getting a "native" 142mm hub is that there would be just a bit more stiffness if the hub body were wider--as opposed to have 3.5mm extensions stuck on the ends of a 135mm hub.

One of my options, would be to pick up a good used wheelset, but I have to understand these compatibility issues before I feel confident doing that. I want to be ready to pull the trigger when I run across something that's a good deal--either new or used. Pretty focused on Mavic 819 rims with Hope 2 PRO EVO hubs right now.
    The adapter for my I9 hub goes through the entire hub body which is pretty slick. It wasn't cheap though.

Hope's are solid hubs. I have a set on one of my bikes. The only problem I have with them is that it has a small amount of engagement points (24?) compared to some of the higher end hubs. It can be quite noticeable when doing technical climbs and any time you are trying to ratchet up something.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Mine are Pro 2's and they were built prior to release of EVO. I would build on EVO for just a little more money now that they are available. The axle options were all available when I was researching my Pro 2's. Doesn't mean they wont stop producing them for the older hub though. The hubs pretty much look the same, makes me wonder if the larger axle and SS bearing of the EVO can be used in the standard pro 2.

The CK, I9 hubs do engage faster than Hope but they were a good amount out of my budget. I came from XT hubs to the Hopes and the drivetrain engagement was a great deal faster on Hopes. If you want I9 engagement on a budget you could get a rear hub from http://www.project321.com/products_bike-rear-hub.php but you wont be able to match the frt since he only builds lefty frt hubs.

C

mtbr member

More info on Hope w/ 142 x 12

Found this here:

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG241 (last paragraph)

The following types are available and can be interchanged with additional spacers/axles which are available separately: - Front QR - Front 9mm - Front 20mm - Front 15mm - Front Maverick fork - Rear QR - Rear 10mm Saint - Rear 12mm (135) - Rear 10mm Bolt in (135) - Syntace X12 142mm - The rear hub is also available in 12mm/150mm wide (note this is a new hub. Not a conversion) and also a trials / singlespeed (see separate page)

Yeti says their chipset is built to the SHIMANO 12x142mm standard. I believe that the DT Swiss version, that Yeti no longer sells/supports is the SYNTACE design/standard. I take this to mean that 12x142 is not an option with for Hope Pro 2 EVO's + Yeti ASR5??

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    I believe any hub that can be converted to 12x142 thru will work with either axle(shimano or syntace). The Hope hubs can be converted to 12x142 or bought with that design.

The difference between shimano and syntace axles is how they attach to the frame and clamp down to lock in the rear wheel. Yeti no longer builds the chip set to support the syntace design but that does not affect the hub.

heres a link to syntace
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

scroll down and you can see the Shimano XTR hub with 12x142 thru is compatible with syntace axle and the flanges on the other hub builders look very similar

There are more hub builders than there are axle designs. The hub builders have pretty much made their hubs compatible with all axles designs

Hope I haven't confused the matter more

C

mtbr member
    I believe any hub that can be converted to 12x142 thru will work with either axle(shimano or syntace). The Hope hubs can be converted to 12x142 or bought with that design.

The difference between shimano and syntace axles is how they attach to the frame and clamp down to lock in the rear wheel. Yeti no longer builds the chip set to support the syntace design but that does not affect the hub.

heres a link to syntace
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

scroll down and you can see the Shimano XTR hub with 12x142 thru is compatible with syntace axle and the flanges on the other hub builders look very similar

There are more hub builders than there are axle designs. The hub builders have pretty much made their hubs compatible with all axles designs

Hope I haven't confused the matter more

C
    Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense: any kind of hub that supports 142 x 12 + Shimano through-axle should work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Porschefan - I was able to order an axle online after searching a bit, but lots of suppliers say the axle is included with the XTR hub, for example:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=740

my understanding of all this is that the new yeti chipset needs the shimano axle, but this axle will work with any 142 x 12 hub.

You may not need the stiffness increase, but it really is easier to remove/replace the wheel with the thru axle. Just don't lose the axle! Also, if you want to use these hubs for a few years, having the 142 x 12 setup may make it easier to carry over the hubs to a new frame a few years from now. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Have you tried to purchase one from Yeti itself? I was told today by a respected vendor that:

"....apparently Yeti bought all of them from Shimano and are a little reluctant to sell them since they are few and far between."

I have written to Yeti to see if they might be purchased directly--along with a chipset.

Funny, the Canadian bike shop (Calgary Cycle) also mentioned that every one of the axles they got (from Yeti???) went out as part of a new bike.

I don't know if this is even true--that Yeti has "cornered the market" so to speak, but if so it is kind of annoying, even if understandable. If the mfgr (Shimano) doesn't have an adequate supply I can see Yeti wanting to have enough on hand to configure new bikes that way.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Does your local shop have any more?

Quote Originally Posted by catfishWRC View Post
    Porschefan - I was able to order an axle online after searching a bit, but lots of suppliers say the axle is included with the XTR hub, for example:
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=740

my understanding of all this is that the new yeti chipset needs the shimano axle, but this axle will work with any 142 x 12 hub.
    I think that's basically it--which implies that the chipset must have a carrier of some sort that accepts this, and only this, through-axle. I've never actually seen it in person.

I guess between Yeti's possible purchase of a lot of stock and Shimano's own requirements to supply axles WITH the hubs, we have a reason for the short supply. Did you buy your wheelset from someone online? The only XTR-hubbed wheelsets I've found have been Shimano's own--and they're around $1,100.00, which is getting into silly territory for me.

You may not need the stiffness increase, but it really is easier to remove/replace the wheel with the thru axle. Just don't lose the axle! Also, if you want to use these hubs for a few years, having the 142 x 12 setup may make it easier to carry over the hubs to a new frame a few years from now. Good luck.
    The ease of removal really appeals and if/when I go this route

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    Have you tried to purchase one from Yeti itself? I was told today by a respected vendor that:

"....apparently Yeti bought all of them from Shimano and are a little reluctant to sell them since they are few and far between."

I have written to Yeti to see if they might be purchased directly--along with a chipset.

Funny, the Canadian bike shop (Calgary Cycle) also mentioned that every one of the axles they got (from Yeti???) went out as part of a new bike.

I don't know if this is even true--that Yeti has "cornered the market" so to speak, but if so it is kind of annoying, even if understandable. If the mfgr (Shimano) doesn't have an adequate supply I can see Yeti wanting to have enough on hand to configure new bikes that way
    The last e-mail I got from Competitive Cyclist was to go ahead and order one off their site. I was told that 5 more were coming in next week and one of them has my name on it. I'd place an order if I were you and follow up with an e-mail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I got my wheels online, custom built from prowheelbuilder.com, but again, an axle didn't come with mine. Universal cycles will build them for you too. I wouldn't get the XTR trail wheelset - my wheels are lighter, have more spokes (and the spokes aren't hard to find, propietary straight-pull spokes), mine are probably better built and cost $200 less. I also got to pick my nipple and spoke color. You could save even more money by getting an XT front hub, the weight difference is tiny.

I can take a picture of the chipset/thru axle system later. But basically, yes, the new chipset has a little set screw which holds the threaded nut part that comes with the axle in place. It works about the same as the thru axle on your fork.

mtbr member

Update: ordered the chipset and Shimano axle from LBS--new questions

I called my local Yeti dealer and was assured that if I placed an order with them I would get the chipset AND the Shimano 12mm through-axle in about a week. $50 for the chipset, which has always been the price AFAIK and $70 (!!) for the axle. In old ads this axle was < $50, but I guess the point becomes moot when it's only available from one source. I just decided to pull the trigger and at least have these parts ready when the right wheelset becomes available.

I have a couple more questions about how to proceed now.

1. Is it possible to adapt the current Crossride rear end to accept the new chipset and axle combo? I'm thinking probably not, but want to make sure.

I've seen that Shimano X-7 142x12mm hubs are available for ~$140.00, but disassembling/re-building the Crossride wheel and it probably makes more sense to just keep the whole Crossride setup intact and get new wheels when I'm ready.

2. Regarding the new wheelset, what is involved as far as the brake rotors go? I have 160mm centerlock rotors on the Crossrides. When evaluating wheels and hub combos, I see that not all, maybe not the majority, of possible hubs are centerlock, but specify "standard 6-bolt" discs. Does this mean I have to either find "centerlock hubs" or get new discs? If I have to get new discs, what about the existing calipers and brake levers, etc.?

3. In looking for an appropriate new wheelset, I've seen some new and some used set with Hope Pro 2 (not EVO) hubs advertised. But I ran across a website that mentioned that the non-EVO Hope Pro 2's have a history of snapping 12mm through-axles and that defect has been cured with the EVO upgrade. Anyone have any data or comment on that? It certainly makes me shy away from any used wheelsets using these older Pro 2's.

Red Barn Bicycles (http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/wheels.html) said they can do 819's with Hope Pro 2 EVO's for ~$575 + shipping. That sounds like it's about the best I will do for this combo new and put together by a competent wheelbuilder.

I guess this thread has veered off a bit and I'm back on to "How do I replace/upgrade" the wheels again. TIA for any pointers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There's no room in the crossrides for the bigger axle, and I don't think it's worth taking them apart and rebuilding them at all.

You could buy shimano six bolt rotors, buy center lock compatible hubs or buy six bolt to center lock adapters (my cross rides actually had adapters on them), so almost any hub can be made to work. Good rotors are ~ $50 each, so the simplest, cleanest, cheapest option is to get center lock compatible

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishWRC View Post
    There's no room in the crossrides for the bigger axle, and I don't think it's worth taking them apart and rebuilding them at all.

You could buy shimano six bolt rotors, buy center lock compatible hubs or buy six bolt to center lock adapters (my cross rides actually had adapters on them), so almost any hub can be made to work. Good rotors are ~ $50 each, so the simplest, cleanest, cheapest option is to get center lock compatible
    Catfish,

Just make sure I'm following--the HUBS determine what kind of rotor you need, right? And that's not an option with hubs--they are either one or the other?

mtbr member
    Im getting close to pulling the trigger on a sb 66 frame order. Should I have them try to order the 142x12 shimano axel and yeti dropout kit? I definitely want that setup. so weird that that axel is impossible to find.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Im getting close to pulling the trigger on a sb 66 frame order. Should I have them try to order the 142x12 shimano axel and yeti dropout kit? I definitely want that setup. so weird that that axel is impossible to find.
    This is conjecture on my part, but I think that if you order the bike spec'd with the 142x12mm rear end, it will come that way. The *probable* reason for this shortage is that Yeti needs all it can get to ship bikes ordered this way.

Talk to your local Yeti dealer. If you're ready to buy a new SB-66, I'm pretty sure you'll get it the way you want it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast