LCW
    mtbr member

'11 575 - Creaky BB - help

My 2011 575 has developed a nasty creak coming from the BB. Going with a different pedal set I had, did not resolve, it's definitely in the BB.

Yesterday, I took the BB apart, greased EVERYTHING - threads on both the BB cartridges, as well as the shell on the frame, greased the crank thru shaft, the inner surfaces of the bearing race cover... Torqued everything back to spec... after about 5 minutes of pedaling, the creak was back.

I'm using a Shimano XTR BB. New when I built the bike up this spring. Have maybe 100 miles on the bike since then. Been creaking for the last 30 miles. Got worse and drove me nuts so that's when I disassembled everything yesterday. I thought I had succeeded when I pedaled around the block. Super quiet. Then it started again.

Should I switch BB's? Something from SRAM/Truvativ? Other brand? Poney up for ceramic bearings??

The only thing I haven't yet tried was teflon taping the threads. May try that next. Any other ideas or thoughts??

Thnx!!
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Hey LCW, did you check your chain ring bolts? Had a similar problem once: after investing in new pedals and a Shim XT BB, the creaking ended up being my chain ring bolts.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I'll double check those. Also say the thread on Big Tops creaking, being the rear chip dropouts. The '11 575 has the rear chip system so I'll check that too.

SS Rider
    Keep us posted! I just bought a new 2011 575 from a shop last week and I noticed it creak every once and awhile and have not been able to figure it out. I can't get it to do it all the time so I figured it would present itself over a little more time. I have the XO/X9 combo on mine and plan to bring it in to the shop for the break in tune up after I ride it a little more.

mtbr member
    My 2011 creaks around the headset, particularly when I put the brakes on hard in the front or and when the front-end dips down on technical descents. I took it apart once and put a little grease around. That had cured the creaking but it has since returned! Time for a re-greasing!!

LCW - whats the update?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    LCW both my '08 and '11 developed a creak around the BB on a regular basis. For me it wasn't the actual BB but the rear swingarm pivot. Pull that, clean it and apply a film of fresh grease. If you haven't done this already I bet it will clear that creak right up.

SS Rider
    I think I have mine narrowed down to the rear swing arm but not 100%. I need to bring it to the bike shop I got it from for its first tune up and I will see what they say.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Well... after 4-5 BB teardowns/regrease/retorque, 2 stripped crank arm bolts, teflon taping my original BB threads, going to my spare BB, regreasing and teflon taping the main pivot bolt... Even switching to SPDs from Candys (for different reason)... All to NO avail... FINALLY found the creak...

REAR CHIP BOLTS! They were all loose from 3 months of riding. Saw some notes in another Yeti thread (not 575... I think it was Big Top or SB95) about the rear chips known to cause creak. Never seen mention about this in the 575 threads about this. But figured I'd check and BINGO was his name-o.

I'll be blue locktite'ing those little bastards!!

SS Rider
    Ok rookie here but which are the rear chip bolts and how tight should they be torqued to?

Schipperkes are cool.
    Main pivots are not greased between the bearings & the frames from the factory.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

SS Rider
    Fixed! mine was the rear chip bolts as well... LBS put some kind of grease between them and the frame and re-installed. Went on a 16 mile ride after and still no creek. I hope it stays this way for awhile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Maybe I can revive this forum.. I've read all the threads and can't figure this out.

Been experiencing a creak somewhere in back of my '11 575 for quite some time. I've narrowed it down to a couple situations that put torque on the rear wheel:
    1. Rear braking. If I hold the brake down and push the bike forward or backward, it creaks really loud in both directions. Doesn't matter if I'm on the bike or off. Feels like there's a little play, but I've tightened up everything (brake mounts, rotors, chips, QR...)
    2. Pedaling with severe pressure. Pedaling normally doesn't really do it but if I lay into it, I'll get the same sound, but not as loud as when using the rear brake.

I CAN'T get it to replicate on or off the bike by just compressing the suspension.

Any ideas? Could it be an issue with the rear hub? I did tighten the chip screws, greased the QR.. Other threads mention the main pivot, but it doesn't seem to be suspension-related to me..

LCW
    mtbr member

'11 575 - Creaky BB - help

Sometimes sounds come from a completely different origin than you thought... Case in point I thought it was the BB in mine - was the rear chips.

Have you checked your seatpost? Fork/headset? Maybe something with the rear wheel? Spokes maybe? Rear hub?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Sometimes sounds come from a completely different origin than you thought... Case in point I thought it was the BB in mine - was the rear chips.

Have you checked your seatpost? Fork/headset? Maybe something with the rear wheel? Spokes maybe? Rear hub?
    Thanks for the reply! I did clean and grease the seatpost. Fork/headset can't be it because it only happens with rear braking or pedaling and nothing with front..

Could be rear wheel, spokes or hub, but I have no idea what/how to check those...? What am I looking for exactly?

EDR

Re: '11 575 - Creaky BB - help

Sounds are hard to diagnose over the internet. If I were you at this point I would remove the main pivot and re grease it and re tighten it. While you're at it take out the bottom bracket clean re grease the threads or use Teflon tape around then.

mtbr member
    Interesting! I have been recently experiencing a very similar noise from my '11 575 also. It almost sounds like the noise (load creaking noise) is being amplified by the carbon seat stay.

I'm going to give my bike a good check-over and clean up and hope to find what is the cause. However, I'm almost convinced the noise is coming from the rear brake area. MAy be the rear chip bolts like others here have experienced although mine is QR.

When I determine what it is, I will let you know.

PL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwizzz View Post
    Maybe I can revive this forum.. I've read all the threads and can't figure this out.

Been experiencing a creak somewhere in back of my '11 575 for quite some time. I've narrowed it down to a couple situations that put torque on the rear wheel:
    1. Rear braking. If I hold the brake down and push the bike forward or backward, it creaks really loud in both directions. Doesn't matter if I'm on the bike or off. Feels like there's a little play, but I've tightened up everything (brake mounts, rotors, chips, QR...)
    2. Pedaling with severe pressure. Pedaling normally doesn't really do it but if I lay into it, I'll get the same sound, but not as loud as when using the rear brake.

I CAN'T get it to replicate on or off the bike by just compressing the suspension.

Any ideas? Could it be an issue with the rear hub? I did tighten the chip screws, greased the QR.. Other threads mention the main pivot, but it doesn't seem to be suspension-related to me..