mtbr member
    May 2006

Is 100mm too much for a Koko?

Does any one out there have more than an 80mm travel frok on thier Kokopelli? I have been told not to go over 100mm on the Koko due to it's race geometry. What are guys riding? I want to upgrade but am a little hesitant.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    100mm for the koko is just right - you will find the front end will tend to feel like it wants to dive under the bike in corners with an 80mm fork. Also consider the static fork length.
    A 100mm Fox is only about 10mm longer overall compared with a Rock Shox at 80mm even though the travel difference is 20mm!

Chaser

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice to know... thank you for the info. I was looking into the Fox Forx... now I've gotta do some research and find out which will be best for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

100 mm is good

I have a Manitou Black 80/100 that came stock on the race disc kit. I think 100 feels just right - a little more stable than a pure race geometry and great for XC trail riding. Don't go over 100 mm as I'm told the head tube is not braced well enough to deal with the force from a longer fork.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That's awesome. I'm very impressed by this bike... I can't wait to do some upgrades and make it 100% solid.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just wanted to let you know that I spoke with a Yeti Rep and he told me that the Kokopelli was made for 100mm nothing more, nothing less.

Uncle

I think it was built for 80 or 100mm..

In 2003, 3 of the four available Koko models had 80mm forks; only one kit came with 100mm. That said, I've run a Marzocchi 105mm & a Fox Vanilla 100RL. After using both, I recommend the Fox Vanilla. I think descents are great with either fork. Climbing goes well enough with both forks too, assuming that:

a) The Marzocchi has an ETA switch, and that it's used while climbing, or
    b) The Fox lockout is not used.

ETA switch enhances the climbing geometry by locking the fork down. This feature really helps because it tightens up the steering geometry & lowers the front end. But is a bit of a pain to engage, as the rider must compress the fork for it to lock down. As Fox's lockout locks the fork "out", it leaves the front end a little tall and tippy. Currently, I roll down & up with the Vanilla unlocked (it broke, but I don't miss it at all) and it works really well.

The Kokos with 80mm forks came with flat bars too, obviously set up for fast & stable racing situations. With 100mm fork & an "xc" riser (see Yeticycles.com for a great deal on their CF 3/4" riser), the bike descends really well and climbs well enough.

Have fun with it.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My 2003 came with the riser bar and 100mm Manitou fork. I am looking to replace the fork now too. How would a Fox F100X be as a replacement shock for the Koko?

Uncle

F100x -- great choice

That fork should work really well on the Koko. While I love my coil front / air shock rear combo, some folks suggest matching the front/rear as air/air or coil/coil combination. If there's any substance to that line of thinking, than I can only expect that the f100x up front with the float rl on the rear should work exceptionally well.

105mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    That fork should work really well on the Koko. While I love my coil front / air shock rear combo, some folks suggest matching the front/rear as air/air or coil/coil combination. If there's any substance to that line of thinking, than I can only expect that the f100x up front with the float rl on the rear should work exceptionally well.

105mm
    I just bought the F100x, it was already "Pushed" so that should help. I'll then send my RL to Push in a few weeks so I can have a nice matching setup on my suspension. Do you think the existing headset should be ok, or should I just plunk down the money for a CK headset? I am running the stock cane creek headset currently, can they be retained from fork to fork?

Uncle

Original headset, if it's still in good shape, will work fine

I've put a CK on mine, but only because the first headset I used fell apart (avoid the FSA Pig non-DH model). I was actually happy to see the pig wasted though, because it was unnecessarily heavy. The King? Installed it two years ago & it's still perfect. For $80 at a swap, I can't complain one bit.

As always, I prefer replacing worn out parts over inferior ones, especially when it's something with as simple a job as a headset. It's just more incentive to ride more, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I still have the original Cane Creek headset, it seems fine... but I haven't disassembled it yet. Not going to have the fork until next week sometime. Just figured if I was doing a new fork, might as well replace the headset too. Makes sense to see what kind of shape the current one is in, it has never given me trouble.

MOO
    mtbr member
    100mm is the way to go. My Fox RLT was in the shop for a service and I used a 120mm shock as a temp replacement. The steering of the bike became very sketchy. The geometry changed bringing the front end up to much. I hated it!!!!!!!. CK is the only way to go. When I changed from wtb to CK I thought the something wrong with headset because the steering became so smooth and I didnt need to fight the front wheel. ! 100mm and CK great combo on a koko.

Tumbleweed14

Koko 100

Hey, I have had a Marzocchi 105 w/ETA on my Koko for a while now. When asked, Yeti said it is fine an that it just puts you more upright.

Personally, I feel as though the bike is more fun to ride, particularly on downhills. The climbing really didn't change that much except on really steep and technical stuff which is what the ETA lockout is for. A little inconvenient to reach, true, but if your expecting a climb it doesn't take much to engage.

On another note, Yeti has always returned my emails. (sometimes slowly though). thumbsup:

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, I e-mailed Yeti and the guy told me that the bike was designed for 100mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

headset

The Cane Creek doesn't have sealed bearings so it might be okay unless you're in mud a lot. The Georgia clay was a real hazard for mine and it was toast after 6 months of decently hard riding. I replaced it with a CK which has been flawless. I also have an American Classic on the commuter and it's pretty good + light, but not CK tough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cRock
    The Cane Creek doesn't have sealed bearings so it might be okay unless you're in mud a lot. The Georgia clay was a real hazard for mine and it was toast after 6 months of decently hard riding. I replaced it with a CK which has been flawless. I also have an American Classic on the commuter and it's pretty good + light, but not CK tough.
    I guess I'll find out how the bearings are on the Cane Creek this weekend when I replace the fork with the Pushed F100x. Hopefully the bearings are in good shape, otherwise I'll just go get a CK and be done with it. I've ridden in the rain and mud quite a few times. Replacing my handlebar at the same time with more of a flat bar, never liked the raised bar, can't get my shifters/brakes in far enough so this will allow me to. LBS gave me a great deal on an Answer Hyperlite Carbon, he even said he'd replace it for free if it breaks. Have to now get a new stem to make up for the flat bar... this fork is costing me more than I expected. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spdrcr5
    I guess I'll find out how the bearings are on the Cane Creek this weekend when I replace the fork with the Pushed F100x. Hopefully the bearings are in good shape, otherwise I'll just go get a CK and be done with it. I've ridden in the rain and mud quite a few times. Replacing my handlebar at the same time with more of a flat bar, never liked the raised bar, can't get my shifters/brakes in far enough so this will allow me to. LBS gave me a great deal on an Answer Hyperlite Carbon, he even said he'd replace it for free if it breaks. Have to now get a new stem to make up for the flat bar... this fork is costing me more than I expected. lol
    Just returned the Answer Hyperlite Carbon bar... can't use bar ends with it. Got an Easton EC70 instead and ordered a Thomson stem, will have everything next week. Might try a Monkey Lite low rise also... might hang out at the shop one day next week playing with parts until I get it how I like it.