Thread: 100k.. whew

In my mind, I can do it!

100k.. whew

I did my first 100k ride at the Hotter-n-Hell 100 this past weekend. Yeah, it was a road ride and I am no roadie but it's the big event of the year around here. There were 12,000 riders in the event and the routes ranged from 100 miles to something like 10 or 20 miles. I am very glad I didn't try the 100 miles. 100k (65 miles) was plenty for me. Felt good at 20 miles. I was getting pretty weary at 30 miles. 30 to 50 was just downright hell. From 50 to about 53 to the rest area was up hill on fresh blacktop pavement with about a 15 to 20mph headwind with a temp of about 103F and I thought I was going to die. My legs had no energy, my butt hurt, my shoulders and neck hurt, it was hotter-n-hell hense the name, and all I wanted to do was stop and find a cool spot to lay down. Got my second wind at the rest stop though and the final 12 miles felt real good.

I am really ready to go back to MTB now. It was an experience having 12,000 riders but nothing beats riding the trails on my Yeti... IMHO.

Who is John Galt?
    We all live and learn! Whenever I read about the roadies complaining about traffic problems etc. I tell them "That's why I ride in the woods." There's been a rash of teenage hoodlums beating up road riders in downtown St. Louis, haven't heard anything similar from the trails. Except of course during deer season when mountain bikes are fair game.
    What, me hurry?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    We all live and learn! Whenever I read about the roadies complaining about traffic problems etc. I tell them "That's why I ride in the woods." There's been a rash of teenage hoodlums beating up road riders in downtown St. Louis, haven't heard anything similar from the trails. Except of course during deer season when mountain bikes are fair game.
    You should not attach deer horns on your helmet. I know it looks cool but it's a very bad idea during deer season.

Hi!!!
    You didn't ride the metric century on the Yeti did you?!!?!?

Congrats on doing it though! This year I set a goal of riding in all four of the Treasure Valley Charity Bike Series rides and the length of the rides I did ranged from 25 miles to 50 miles. Several weekends ago I did the last ride which was a half-century. Like always...I started out too fast and was sucking wind for a while. It was a tough ride for me. Most of the route had strong headwinds or crosswinds so it just made for some tough pedaling. The climb out on Swan Falls Road was tough for me. But I'm glad I finished it. I think around the 30-40 mile route is when you start questioning your sanity as well as your physical conditioning. I'm ready for next year though!!! I'm aiming to do a full century!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    You didn't ride the metric century on the Yeti did you?!!?!?

Congrats on doing it though! This year I set a goal of riding in all four of the Treasure Valley Charity Bike Series rides and the length of the rides I did ranged from 25 miles to 50 miles. Several weekends ago I did the last ride which was a half-century. Like always...I started out too fast and was sucking wind for a while. It was a tough ride for me. Most of the route had strong headwinds or crosswinds so it just made for some tough pedaling. The climb out on Swan Falls Road was tough for me. But I'm glad I finished it. I think around the 30-40 mile route is when you start questioning your sanity as well as your physical conditioning. I'm ready for next year though!!! I'm aiming to do a full century!
    I love my Yeti but riding that far on a road with that bike and I would still be out there... Or, I would have just taken the shortcut and cut through the rough...

Doing a 100 miler is just crazy if you ask me... The only thing that kept me going after 50 miles is knowing I only had 15 left to go. If 50 would have only been half way I would have been hitching a ride or something. Still, it was quite the experience starting with 12,000 people. We started one block from the start line and it took 10 minutes from the start canon to get past the starting line. The line of people was about 6 blocks long and 4 lanes deep. There was every kind of bike you could imagine too. Even saw one guy on a unicycle. Hope he wasn't going for the century.. cuz he was sloooooow.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Even saw one guy on a unicycle. Hope he wasn't going for the century.. cuz he was sloooooow.
    you mean it didn't have gears?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    you mean it didn't have gears?
    Key word here - "uni"... one wheel, no gears, slow as christmas. But it was about a 35" wheel...

nice marmot.

retribution

that is what you get for riding them bikes with the little skinny tires
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Wow.. 100k.. I haven't ridden that much in a long while, but I can relate to the feeling you got at 50 miles..... Very well done, iviguy!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Wow.. 100k.. I haven't ridden that much in a long while, but I can relate to the feeling you got at 50 miles..... Very well done, iviguy!
    Thanks! The accomplishment afterward is a cool feeling but during the ride all I could do was tell myself I was never going to do this again. My arms and neck were aching, my butt was soooo sore, it was so dang hot and at around 40 miles I was starting to crash pretty hard. I kept telling myself that after this, I could say I did it and never do this again...

So, I plan on doing it next year again... My dad wants to ride with me so how could I say no. I'll get my brother to go along so someone else can be the one that holds the pack up instead of me..

It's a good time though. Just once in your life you have to see a bike race with 12,000 at the starting line. That is just awesome!

Hi!!!
    12,000....just shows you how much bigger Texas is than Idaho.

The largest number of entrants for the TVCBS was probably the Bob Lebow ride where I think we had 800+ riders???