mtbr member
    Aug 2006

06 ASX Build/Component Questions

Iím thinking about buying an 06 ASX. No LBS so I will get it from Adrenaline Bikes. They have several build kits of there own as well as offering it with the Yeti build with component upgrades and mix-n-match. This is my first FS and havenít been around bikes for a while so the component info is kind of like Greek to me.
    Can someone help me chose wisely? I am 6í1Ē+ and 200#. Daily I will ride gravel/dirt roads to some fairly flat trails with small jumps and drops. Once a month I will take it to the mountains for trail/xc with some free ride. Nothing extreme, no racing, no extreme DH, but would like the suspension to be able to take what the frame is capable of as my confidence and ability grows as well as small bump compliant for the daily stuff. I like the idea of longer travel forks with the ability to adjust travel. I definitely want a nice fork but donít want to shell out major $ if I donít need it for what I do. As far as the other components, I just want them to be reliable.

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by calumet
    Iím thinking about buying an 06 ASX. No LBS so I will get it from Adrenaline Bikes. They have several build kits of there own as well as offering it with the Yeti build with component upgrades and mix-n-match. This is my first FS and havenít been around bikes for a while so the component info is kind of like Greek to me.
    Can someone help me chose wisely? I am 6í1Ē+ and 200#. Daily I will ride gravel/dirt roads to some fairly flat trails with small jumps and drops. Once a month I will take it to the mountains for trail/xc with some free ride. Nothing extreme, no racing, no extreme DH, but would like the suspension to be able to take what the frame is capable of as my confidence and ability grows as well as small bump compliant for the daily stuff. I like the idea of longer travel forks with the ability to adjust travel. I definitely want a nice fork but donít want to shell out major $ if I donít need it for what I do. As far as the other components, I just want them to be reliable.
    AS-X might be more bike than you need. It's going to weigh in the high 30s. Might want to build up an all-mountain bike in the low 30s.

575 or Nomad, for example.

damon

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks.
    I am sure that it is more bike than I need but I want the relaxed HT and ST angles as well as the longer wheel base that the ASX has. Willing to trade this for the weight. Might could shed some weight with lighter tires, etc. in the build options. AND, hopefully I'll grow into what it was designed for and wont have to get a new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have also been looking at the Kona Coiler from a cost standpoint and the Transition Preston. Preston has a longer wheel base than the ASX but a 73* seat tube. I like an upright further baack position with the post up for trails with full leg extention.

mtbr member
    Or, if you really like the idea of a Yeti, the 575 might be more up your alley.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler ē Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I do like the idea of Yeti. But, 575 is steaper ST/HT and shorter wheel base. That type geometry makes me feel like I'm setting on a fence post with my nose over the front axle, both wheels tucked up under me and pedles behind my back. Probably because of my 35" inseam. The ASX is short but slack ST/HT.

mtbr member
    I just looked at Yeti's charts for the ASX and the 575 and you'd be giving up little or nothing in HT angle or WB as long as you compare Lg frames and the longer fork build on the 575. With a 160mm fork, the 575 would be 67 deg w/a 43.8" WB. The ASX would be either 66 or 67 depending on fork with a WB of 44.5" If I could afford a seperate bike just for a Super-D weapon, I'd definitely want a 575.

BTW, I understand completely about your feelings about steep head angles. After two years of riding my ASX everywhere, I built an XC hardtail this year. Except for the lighter weight, I hate it. I don't like that perched-on-the-edge-of-an-endo feeling I get all the time. Slacker is better in my book; I run a 7" or an inverted 8" on my ASX depending on the course.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler ē Spokane, WA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks.
    I wish I could ride one and see how it actully feels. The 160 fork puts the BB at 14.3. With a 35" inseam, my post is way up there already. I rode a Specialized Stumpjumper which seems very close to the 525 but steeper HT and I hated it. It was a little longer than the the 525 @ 44.2" I also rode a Spec Enduro which was better @ 45.5 and thought I would not want to go any shorter than that. The ASX is a whole inch shorter and the 525 an inch and 3/4. How much difference is that when actually riding the bikes? I don't know but Stumpjumper felt like I was peddling a MatchBox car with a bar stool on top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There is a Yeti dealer 5 hours away. They have 525s but no ASX cause its FLAT here.