mtbr member
    Aug 2006

04 ASX: Questions on a used bike

I found an 04 ASX for $1100, set up as follows:

YETI AS-X FULL SUSPENSION FULL RACE FACE BAR STEM SEATPOST SET UP FOX VANALLIA RC SHOCK ON THE REAR FOX VANALLIA RLC 125 FORK
    XT DISC HUBS ON MAVIC 219 RIMS
    HAYES COMP HYDRO BRAKES
    LX SHIFTERS XT DERAILLEURS AZONIC FLAT PEDALS
    BIKE HAS VERY LOW MILES AND WOULD MAKE A GREAT ALL MOUTIAN BIKE FOR ANYONE, THIS IS A ADJUSTABLE SINGLE MAIN PIVOT DESIGN THAT IS A BOMB PROOF DESIGN.
    TOP TUBE LENGTH 24"
    CENTER OF BB TO CENTER OF TOP TUBE 20.5"
    PLEASE CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS

I was going to buy a demo 06 Specialized Enduro Expert untill I started reading the ASX reviews. This one is over $1000 cheaper but I know the front fork is only 5" but that would be fine I think.

Opinions?

mtbr member
    First, what kind of riding do you plan on using it for? The AS-X is definitely a freeride bike, where as the Spec. Enduro is more All-Mountain than freeride. The AS-X will be heavier and a worse climber but much better on the descents and jumps and drops.

That particular AS-X, for that price, is probably beat or the parts are old and beat. The Vanilla 125 is definitely an unacceptable fork for that bike as well and should never even have been mounted on the front. The Vanilla is not a bad fork, but is much to short and flimsy for the type of riding the AS-X is meant for. If you are going to consider the AS-X, then definitely figure in the price of a new (or used) bigger fork to go along with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    yah, what he said.

ASX w/ a Van 125? That's not right. In fact, I'll bet the bike is designed to work with forks from 140-160 or something. Yeti says that the 575 is to be used with forks no shorter than 130.

not only that, the ad is written retardedly. what's UP WITH ALL CAPS? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO YELL???