mtbr member
    Feb 2004

'02 ASX with a DHX, is it possible?

I've got one of the very first '02 AS-Xes, it doesn't have the beefed up swing link mounts and it's got DU bushings in the short link rather than the cartridge bearings and it has what I measure as a 7.75x2.25 5th Element shock. Anyway when the 5th element worked I loved it but for about a year it's been fubared, the rebound adjustment doesn't work, the shock tops out really bad and the compression damping sometimes dissapears. Last year I sent the shock back to progressive 3 times in sucession, I'd get the shock back from progressive, put it on the bike, bounce up an down, turn the knobs, bounce up and down, take it off send it back. After the third time I gave up, I got the feeling that progressive had given up on the shock too after the second time around and didn't really want to take it back a third time. For all I know they didn't even touch it for the week they had it. So I've lived with a shock that I can't really trust, but I haven't ridden too much because of a new baby. Now that it's summer time again I'd like to be able to ride again but I can't trust the busted shock that's on there, the last thing I want to do is loose compression damping on a drop, blow through the travel and ovalize the shock mount or break a pin.

Does anybody have experiance with a DHX 5.0 on this same model, keep in mind that it has a shorter stroke shock and a slightly different linkage than the current models. Fox doesn't make a 7.75x2.25 DHX but they do make a 7.875x2.25 which should work right? An eighth of an inch is pretty trivial, in fact I could be eyeballing 1/8 inch off for all I know. Has anybody tried putting a Pushed RC on one of these bikes? I'm not really looking for a better pedalling bike, if anything I'd prefer the suspension to be a little more active, I feel like chain torque does a good enough job of stiffening the suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    the size is 7.875 x 2.25 for the '02 as-x
    and the fox dhx 5.0 does fit i got one on mine

mtbr member
    I've got an 03 ASX with the upgraded doglink with swing arm problems. If the deal I'm working on pans out I may have some parts we can deal on.
    Plus I can't remember Who but one of the fine folk here hooked me up with the manual for older ASX and it says the eye to eye measurements on the 01 to 03s are 7.875 so you should be good with the fox.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyed
    the size is 7.875 x 2.25 for the '02 as-x
    and the fox dhx 5.0 does fit i got one on mine
    Good to know, did you need any additional hardware or will the spacers and such fit on the DHX just as they do on the 5th? Do you find that the bike pedals any different? Does the travel feel a little more plush?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    you can use the same mounting hardware for the 5th on the dhx. its a great shock, just make sure it set up right for your riding.