mtbr member

Is $1,500 a good deal? 7 year old ASR

I've been without a mountain bike for about a little over a year now. I had a Giant Trance X before and I really didn't have any complaints with it. I am itching to go riding again and I have an opportunity to get a Yeti ASR. It is about 6/7 years old, has XT components, Fox shocks, and top of the line (at the time) rim brakes. Wheels I believe are Mavic tubeless. Both front and rear shocks need to be rebuilt and it needs tires. I can grab it for $1,500. That is just so much money for a 7 year old bicycle with 7 year old components. I don't know a lot about yeti so I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not. Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated. The other bike I am interested in would be a 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1. This bike would be brand new but would also cost another grand putting me out $2,500.

Thanks
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    i would get the trance. You can get a trance that is a couple of years old for the $1500 (it will be a 26er though).

mtbr member
    Thank you for the reply. Do you feel the Trance is a better choice because of the age of the Yeti frame or is it more because the components are an issue?
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle.tim View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Do you feel the Trance is a better choice because of the age of the Yeti frame or is it more because the components are an issue?
    it really depends on the type of riding you're doing. I don't think i would buy a mountain bike with rim brakes. there are other advances in technologies too... with a trance from the past couple of years, you'll get a tapered steerer and a 15mm thru axle on the front.

mtbr member
    The frame and forks are set to take disk brakes but that means several hundreds of more dollars in wheels and brakes on top of the $1500. I'm in Florida so where I ride it is rooty and sandy. No big drops for me but I do some jumps here and there if they are in the trail. I really would prefer the 2013 Trance X 29er 1 but no shops have them and I've called all the way from West Palm Beach to Jacksonville and over to Orlando.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an 08 Trance X and an 08 ASR. On the weekend I rode a 2013 Trance X 29er for the first time. I would make the investment and go with the newer Trance X if at all possible (noting it seems to be hard for you to find one). You don't have to worry about finding a new fork, wheels and brakes, and you get new and crisp components rather than older ones. You also don't have to worry about rebuilding both ends of suspension. Chances are the 6-7 yr old component group wouldn't even feature Shadow rear derailleurs, let alone the new Shadow plus.
    Check eBay et al for second hand Trances as well. There's usually a bucket load of them for sale.
    FYI - I bought my 08 ASR in 2012 for close to $1000AU. This was when the AUD was close to parity with the USD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle.tim View Post
    Both front and rear shocks need to be rebuilt and it needs tires.
    you really, really need to take this into account when comparing prices to the new bike. I'd guess the needed repairs to the 7-year old bike will run you close to $500 at least (between rebuilds, probably $100-150 on tires, and stuff like chains, cassettes, and bearings which it might need too).

I love Yeti, and would much rather have one than a Giant, but that's a lot of money for a very old, worn bike with rim brakes. "high end" rim brakes are like a "fast" dial-up internet connection. Sure there was a time when they were great, but it was a long, long time ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    To put things in perspective, I picked up a 2007 575 a year ago for $1100 shipped to CA from CO. Custom wheelset (Chris King rear and Hope Pro II front), recently-serviced shocks by Push (Talas 90-130 and RP3), X7 Front and X9 Rear, Easton MonkeyLite bars, Thomson stem and post, Avid Juicy 7s with Cleansweep rotors, and even Time ATACs. Had to pay the LBS to build it up and recently replaced the tires that were pretty worn.

So I'd say, no... $1500 is not a good deal for that ASR.

And, second the comments re: used + maintenance. So far I've beaten on my 575 at Downieville several times with no ill results. But I'm probably taking it in the next week or so for some TLC that likely wouldn't have been necessary yet had it bought it new. So that's something to factor into the price as well.

mtbr member

Re: Is $1,500 a good deal? 7 year old ASR

Who was using rim brakes 6 years ago?? Seems nuts money for something so outdated.. But it is a yeti.. So sex value goes right up