Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks - My fork is a Brain SID that came on my 2012 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon HT. It's got 90mm of travel but I'm pretty sure this is internally adjustable. I'm keen to de-brain mostly because of the intertia valve noise. I'm in Australia and haven't had any luck in finding out if this is possible. My LBS has contacted SRAM Australia but they didn't know if the conversion was possible or what parts would be needed for it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The dampers are super simple to swap. I am not sure if the brain internals use a different rebound system than other forks. I am not familiar with how specialized does it.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use the RCT3 on my race hardtail.

I'd rather be riding
    I've got a reba rl, works great, I never use the crown lockout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westy82 View Post
    Thanks very much for the info. I take it that it was just the internals that needed replacing and not the crown/steerer assembly? How much did it cost you?
    Correct, just the internals. I don't remember exactly, but roughly a couple hundred with parts and labor. It might have been as much as $300? I was able to sell my brain cartridge which offset some of the expense. I would do it all over again in a minute. Not to get on my soapbox, but I'm just not a fan of the brain. Not firm enough when I get out of the saddle to hammer and not plush enough through rough sections due to the intertia that is inherent in the design. So it was just never where I wanted it to be.

Now broadcasting from CO
    I had a Brain, but now I have a X-fusion Slide 29 with the remote lockout. I haven't ridden it yet, but I think it will be better. My Brain wasn't smart enough...

... All puns intended...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm01 View Post
    Correct, just the internals. I don't remember exactly, but roughly a couple hundred with parts and labor. It might have been as much as $300? I was able to sell my brain cartridge which offset some of the expense. I would do it all over again in a minute. Not to get on my soapbox, but I'm just not a fan of the brain. Not firm enough when I get out of the saddle to hammer and not plush enough through rough sections due to the intertia that is inherent in the design. So it was just never where I wanted it to be.
    My thoughts exactly. Sold mine. Now on Rock Shox SID with remote lockout. Better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hate the handlebar lockout, and generally use a low gate adjust to get a suitable platform (fast & furious xc races), or use the standard lockout in other conditions (like long climbs, long downhills in point to point races.
    Saves 70g and especially some ugly clamps and cables.
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2