Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mnoutain bkie rdier

Your first race: Where, When, Age, Bike, Finish?

I went for a long solo ride today. I had lots of time to think. I started thinking back to how "green" I was when it all began for me....racing that is... I have lots of great memories from different venues... It all has to start somewhere at sometime right?

Where: Vista, CA (Team Manna Event)

When: 1992

Bike: Full rigid (...wasn't "cool" back then. It was only option.) chro-mo Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo...light blue..bio pace cranks

Finish: Yep..I won..beginner class. I have been racing on and off for over 20 years now....yet I have never won another race....argh!!

NOTE: I have no pics...but pics of your first race would be great to see. Especially if there is neon invlolved..
    Last edited by rydbyk; 07-15-2013 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    My first race was 2008. I started riding about the same vintage as the OP but didn't ever get around to racing.

Where: Barking spider outside Boise.
    When: 2008
    Bike: Ventana el fuego
    Finish: yes. second place. Probably could have pulled for first but confused the finish line. Bumped to sport class for next race. My avitar is a race photo from first season.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1986, Houston, TX "Swamp Race (or something like that) sponsored by WestEnd Bikes (assume shop). I believe I came in second, don't really recall. I was 20 or 21 at the time. Will Black, who went on to a pro MTB and Cyclocross career was the winner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mine...

cannot remember the year, late eighties/early nineties

Crested Butte in the CORPS days, circuit race on Saturday, XC on Sunday

Bike: Kona HOT steel HT

Beginner class, finished about mid pack in a field of 100+, I was blown up right from the start, and barely hanging in...

Next race two weeks later in Boulder finished 11th, learning quickly.

bi-winning
    Where: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

When: 2002

Bike: 2002 Giant Rainier hardtail

Finish: 14/87 in age category
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

FasCat Coaching
    Oh man...

Where: Osceola, NY: Tug Hill XC Ski Center
    When: 1997
    Bike: GT Tequesta (way to big! for me)
    Finish: 2nd Beginner Category

Still wish that race course was around, raced it for 2-3 more years and then they shut the place down due to logging.
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

dirt roadie
    Where: local race series in St. Catharines, ON, Canada
    When: 2007
    Bike: Kona Cinder Cone
    Finish: 109th out of approx. 150 in the male category.

lol I sucked but that race got me hooked!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

!

Where: Battle the Bear XC
    When: 5/13/06
    Bike: Scott Scale
    Finish: 4th in 19-29 Sport

I came out of that one a bit cocky, and proceeded to DNF after 2 crashes a few weeks later in Angel Fire. I still cannot believe I've only been riding a MTB for 4 years....It feels like a lot longer with as many fricken races as I've done.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Rediscovered
    My first race was last June at age 19, on my '07 Trek 6500. Tour de Tykes in Danville, PA. 3500+ feet of climbing in 13.6 miles. It hurts, regardless of what shape you're in.

I did it more out of a desire to test my ability after riding for 9 months, so I entered the sport class.

Well, I was a little over my head. First, the heat index was somewhere between 101 and 105, with a ridiculous humidity percentage. Mid-race, I ended up having a screw back out of one of my cleats halfway through the race, so I couldn't clip in with one foot. Somewhere around mile 11, my quads and calves started cramping, bad. I came over the peak of a small hill yelling just about every curse word known in the english language (and probably a couple other languages), only to see some very surprised aid station workers who then expressed some concerned about my well being. I assured them I was fine through gritted teeth, and carried on my way.

I finished 16th out of 17 in my class that day. Still finished, though, cramps, twisted cleat, and all.

Did the same race this year, finished 8th out of 15 in my class, and improved my time by 40 minutes.

My best finish this year was a 5th at the Lehigh ECCC XC race in Men's B. I've yet to grab a win, but I keep moving up in classes each year without winning. I prefer the challenge to feeling like a sandbagger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Shasta Lamurian Classic! 1994, Age 18,GT Zaskar Mag 21 with a long travel kit! Oh ya 2" of travel. Sport class to do the long loop. 43 miles 5500ft or 7500 total elevation gain. I don't remember exactly. It was so cold the water in the hose on my camelback froze!!! I don't remember what place I got I was just glad to be alive. I had just got done running X-Country in high school so I thought I was in good shape but new nothing about pace or fueling for 5 hours in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    First Race: WORS Alpine Valley
    Bike: 1998 Klein Pulse Race
    Year: 2002
    Result: 3rd in citizen age group. (2nd in age group for the year)
    Lessons learned: 1) It only took me a year to understand that semi-slicks with 65 psi do not make you faster. 2) Upgrades are expensive but you do it anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Canaan Mountain 35k, 1989

This is fun.

Canaan was an early Laird Knight production, way before 24hr racing.

Start and Finish in Davis, WVa, and run through the bogs, boulders, and swollen creeks for a few hours along the way.

The bogs were attention-getting, because a seemingly innocuous puddle on one lane of double-track could be 2 feet deep. In other words, you could suddenly sink up to your headtube, at speed, in what looked like a rain puddle. With no warning.

"Experienced" riders were preparing by duct-taping their shoes to their feet. I asked why, and was told about the likelihood of losing (and not being able to recover) a shoe while running parts of the course.

There was also a fast moving stream crossing that I recall being well over hip deep, and I'm 6'2".

Other nostalgia - rigid forks, toe clips & straps, hite-rites, etc.

I finished, but I didn't care where. It was way different than my usual diet of road racing.

Every time I recall this, I think about how mountain bikes are so astoundingly good now. I don't miss the old bikes at all.

BP

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy
    Shasta Lamurian Classic! 1994, Age 18,GT Zaskar Mag 21 with a long travel kit! Oh ya 2" of travel. Sport class to do the long loop. 43 miles 5500ft or 7500 total elevation gain. I don't remember exactly. It was so cold the water in the hose on my camelback froze!!! I don't remember what place I got I was just glad to be alive. I had just got done running X-Country in high school so I thought I was in good shape but new nothing about pace or fueling for 5 hours in the saddle.
    What a small world it is. My first race was that exact one.1994 Lemurian Shasta Classic.
    Fully rigid Trek 850, 7th place beg. 35+.
    Damn near died on that brutal first climb that lasted about 10 miles.
    Cramped up something terrible that day.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Where: Short track race in Portland which goes over a motocross track and a grass field
    When: 2006
    Bike: $500 hardtail with flat pedals
    Finish: Showed up late for the beginner race, so entered in sport. Got lapped by the leaders - twice! Just about threw up and could barely turn the pedals over by the end. Crashed at least once and narrowly avoided the DFL podium. To this day I still avoid that race venue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Where: Devils Lake, WI
    When: 1995
    Bike: Diamond back Sorento with clipless pedals and a softride stem
    Finish: I finished, and my bike weighed about 50lbs covered in mud and loved it. I don't remember anything about placing, I just remember having fun riding the race

Still miss the Crusty Bluff Hunkerdown Race put on in La Crosse.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Where: Lake Compounce, Bristol CT
    When:1995
    Bike: Cannondale I built up from the frame during one of Cannondale's "frame swaps" (I swapped a piece-o-crap Centurion for it).
    Finish 19th out of 42.
    Next race I finished top 5 so I thought I should move up to sport, which is when I coined the term "middle third" so I wouldn't be in the bottom half.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where: Pleasure Valley, Ontario
    When: 2003
    Bike: Giant Iguana
    Finish: First in the Beginner Women 19+ category
    High on Life

The White Jeff W
    Where: Brady's Run Park, PA
    When: Oct 2009
    Age 42
    Bike: Yeti 575
    Finish: 4th out of 14 beginners, 38 out of 60 something overall.
    No moss...

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by smoen81
    Where: Devils Lake, WI
    When: 1995
    Bike: Diamond back Sorento with clipless pedals and a softride stem
    Finish: I finished, and my bike weighed about 50lbs covered in mud and loved it. I don't remember anything about placing, I just remember having fun riding the race

Still miss the Crusty Bluff Hunkerdown Race put on in La Crosse.
    Softride..haha..nice. I remember those..I was so jealous of my buddy when he got one

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Been riding since 1993, but never raced. Had raced BMX back in the 80's

Where: Escape from Granogue, Mid-Atlantic Super Series, Wilmington, DE
    When: May, 2008
    Bike: Cannondale Prophet
    Finish: 5th out of 16 beginners, Vet 2, 21st of 86 overall.

For the season series, placed 2nd overall by 8 points. Moved to Sport this year and finished 3rd overall in a very fast Clyde class.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Name escapes me

My first race was in 1988 or 89. I took 1st or 2nd in the beginner category. I was riding a yellow Rock Hopper with no front suspension and biopace chainrings. I remember stopping at the top of every downhill and lowering my seat to the frame and praying I would make it down the scree fields.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Where: Wolf River Rondevous, Shawano WI (WORS Race)
    When: Sept. 28 2008
    Bike: Gary Fisher Marlin
    Finish: 57th out of 93 in Citizen (beginer)

Totally out of shape, was back on the bike for like a month on my old 2mi commute. Head was spinning, almost threw up, went over the handle bars twice... Totally addicted.

Slowly moving my way up sport now

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Where: Bakersfield, CA @ Hart Park

When: 1987 I think

Bike: Univega Rover Sport

Finish: It was called the Knuckle Clincher Squirrel Chase. I don't remember how I placed. I did a handful of races as a kid for the next 3 years. Then didn't really start racing again until this year.

innate behaviour
    Cactus Cup in AZ arnd 1992 I think. Got whooped. Made me realize that "sport" was actually a lame term for "lots of riders who are pretty legit"

Bike: Specialized M2 with all XT baby!! Flight saddle ringle QRs!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Where: Lemurian Shasta Classic

When: April 2009

Bike: 2008 Giant Trance X0

Finish: I finished in the bottom third, but I finished. I can't remember my time, but it was titanically slow.

I started riding in January of this year and entered the race to help support a friend. I had no intention of racing when I picked up mtb'ing, but now I'm pretty focused on going back next year and wiping that performance from my memory with a much stronger finish.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast