mtbr member
    May 2011

Your first race....

...did you suck? I'm pretty sure I'm going to. I've been back in mntbkng for about a month and plan to race in September. I've made lots of gains but I'm still really slow. Do ok for the long haul but it's a slow and steady. Riding about three times a week for about 10-15 miles at a time. This week I've increased the intensity and it's taking me much longer to recover. I'm not backing out but don't look to finish well. My rides usually consit of 5 miles of rolling uphills out and downhills back. I've been trying to push myself just past pain a lil more each day. Is this good strategy? Sorry no real knowledge of real training plans or lingo so keep it simple. My times are improving and am enjoying the rides.
    He who throws mud loses ground.
    -Fat Albert

mtbr member
    My first race was in 08 and I remember being on the line just hoping to finish. Then I thought I am going to go for it. Wow 20 some riders flew off the line. I did everything to keep them in sight, but had no luck. I finished 2nd to last.

Racing and riding with faster riders make you faster. Keep riding your bike and do what you are doing. Speed and fitness will come over time.

I only did 1 race that year and wished I would have keep at it. Today I am enjoying standing on podiums. I never thought that would be possible a year ago when I weight over 200lbs. I started racing in Sept 2010 again.
    Mountain Bike http://www.mtbmike.com/Videos

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a weird thing with first races.

My very first was a 'cross race. Showed up with my little red Schwinn mountain bike, with a rack on the back, and rode my heart out for four laps. I actually did fairly well - somewhere in mid-pack.

I was pretty far off the back at my next two. I wasn't riding as much, go figure. The second of those, my third race ever, was actually one of my most memorable. I spent the last half competing head-to-head with another guy who wasn't really in racing shape. It was intense and exciting, if not particularly fast or anywhere near the podium.

My first XC MTB race, I won my age class. It was a less competitive series, and a less convenient one to get to, than the other ones in my area, and a relatively non-technical course - it played to my strengths a little. Racing on the mainland, in a more competitive series... I haven't placed as well.

Really, though, if I ride my own best race, I'm happy. The only one I've ever really kicked myself for was one where I made a mistake early on and lost most of my wave, then stayed on the wheels of a couple of riders who were working their way up through the field. Problem was, they weren't passing as aggressively as they'd have had to for me to go at my pace, and my wave was still somewhere up ahead of where we were doing all this. If I'd been a little more confident about it and passed those two dudes somewhere, I'd probably have finished better. (Or, maybe I'd have pushed it too hard and made another mistake.)

Try to ride clean, go as hard as you can without crashing all the time, and have fun with it. There's almost always someone slower or DNF, and when it's you, usually you'll be more concerned with the saddle you just ripped off its rails than with taking your turn being the DNF.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    First race = DNF (flat, bad spare tube)

Second Race = 1st place, Cat 3 overall, beat second by a minute.

I have since taken a break from MTB to focus on road racing. The trails in my area have been unridable for close to a month so road is were its at for me right now. Got my first race in a two weeks so we will see how that goes. I am still going to race MTB but just haven't found time between family commitments and training for road.

My advice from one noob to another. Train a lot, and get to the single track first or at least at the front if you know you are a contender. If you know you are going to get blown out of the water let faster riders pass and have fun!

If you have the money and are committed to the sport I highly recommend acquiring a road bike to train on along with riding singletrack. If you look up the poll from another thread it showed that a lot of the Cat 1 guys spent more time on the road than on dirt.
    "Shut up legs!"- Jens Voigt

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah current goal is to ride the route as much as possible and learn my limit. Then try to run the course as fast as I can without wrecking anyone. Mostly I'm just looking to learn for my goal to complete syllamos revenge. All 50 miles.. I know big goal for a guy of my abilities but I got a while to train.
    He who throws mud loses ground.
    -Fat Albert

mtbr member
    I started racing racing 2 years ago. I did my first race (28 miles) 6 weeks after I got my bike (specialized hardrock). I was second to last in my age group. I was happy I wasnt last, but missed my time goal by 27 minutes. I wasnt really ready to race! Now, I'm doing better, top 1/3 in my age group. I think I should've rode for at least a year before starting racing. I was a little ego hurt at how fast everyone was/is.