mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Are you still training?

it's the Fall, and the Autumn race are starting up. some might say they are the funnest of all. with such fun to be had, what's you Fall routine? are you still "training" for these? or are you drinking your way out of that summer long calorie deficit? sure we all want to be on that podium but is it the fun and friends or the Fall race season that motivates you to work so hard in the Winter, Spring, and Summer?
    -Kyle

www.ByeKyle.com
    Simple Strap

mtbr member
    I find I'm losing the motivation to train. It's especially hard now that it's dark within half an hour of getting home from work. Yes, I have lights, but it's a whole production and simply not the same. Also its' been damn chilly here, with highs in the 40s, which makes road riding much less enjoyable. I had an epic weekend of riding last week, but haven't ridden since.

It's rather depressing to know all that hard-earned fitness is slowly going up in smoke.
    Last edited by XCFred; 10-16-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Break

After finishing up last weekend, it's a 2 month break from "training". I'll still ride for fun until Late December, and might jump into a cross race or two, but after nearly 11 months of work, I'm done giving a poop for a while.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Same here. It has been five days since I have been on the bike after my first cx race and don't even plan on getting on it for another week. This time of the year is when I spend my time catching up on the house work I have neglected all year due to training! I think it's good (for my aging body at least) to give it some time off completely. I'll loose some fitness but nothing I can't rebuild quickly...
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    I stopped training 6 weeks ago after my last race. Took 1 week off totally then riding 1-3 times per week all easy for fun. Gained 5 pounds I just started my first training ride on my ss yesterday.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Been on a bike maybe 3 times since Sept 13, the final race of the series. Been enjoying beer too while watching the Phightin Phils.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Starting transition tomorrow, since my last race was just cancelled due to rain . . .

Around these parts, cyclocross has totally taken over and there are no MTB races within a 3 hour drive (well, there is a MTB stage race this weekend 2 hours away, but otherwise, MTB is done). I will not train for cross at all, but begin my training for 2010 in two weeks. Weights and base miles, mostly on the road because hunting starts here soon too. 2010 is going to be an awesome year!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I still going strong, about ready to try for another peak, with lots of VO2 max work. I have a race on Suday, another in 2 wks, and final one 3 weeks after that which are all part of a local mini-series.

I took most of the summer off as I hate racing and training hard it the So Cal heat. Plus with the kids out of school I needed to comitt my time elswere. Did a race in early July, took a couple of weeks off, then four weeks of base endurace, mostly road. I'm in the middle of a second build phase, starting to taper volume, and feeling fresh and fast.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm almost done. Well, to my knowledge, mountain bike races are over and have been for a few weeks now but I'm racing cross this year, it's quite fun and I'm thinking that with more experience, I would be better at it (or suck less at it) than mtb races, seems to fit my strengths more. I have a race sunday and the last one the following sunday. After that, I'm riding just to have fun, no trainings until I start back for 2010.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

AZ
    banned
    Start my training cycle next week , weights and lots of miles .

mtbr member
    Iceman Cometh race November 7 then I'm done finally for a couple weeks. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Just finished transition and am started base this week. However, I pretty much finished up my racing season in July after Downieville. Got burnt out, so decided not to do any more races after Downieville and rode/trained "just for fun."

mtbr member
    I was getting a little burnt out so I decided to skip these last 2 races and give my mind/body a break. Now I'm focused again and have about a month to get myself back in the groove to try and finish strong in the last 2 races of the season. So yeah, I'm still training.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i used to race in the elite category but when i started working full time 2 yrs ago, i hardly find time to train. but i still race, its different now, its just for fun and free t-shirts and meals. now, at the end of the race i look up the podium and thought " dude, i used to be up there"...

bi-winning
    I've backed off the riding a lot (I don't call what I do training.) But, I have extended my race season longer than I normally do, with a few cross races, and even a MTB race last weekend.

Lying ahead, maybe just one more race around Halloween, but other than that, I'll just be riding to school (10km each way) a few times a week, and getting our for a couple rides on weekends. Bye bye fitness.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

VIP
    Jun 2006
    If you aren't moving forwards you're moving backwards.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Took all summer off due to life. With things sorted out, getting ready to start a 12-week base training cycle.

mtbr member
    About a month ago I lost focus on my training plan, had started doing intervals, but then I started getting lazy and only training 3 days per week. My fitness went down a little and weight went up a few pounds, did a race but I wasn't fully prepared for the intensity. Then the past 2-3 weeks has been rain about 5 days per week, and when not raining really hot and humid.

I decided to not do the last 2 A races of the year, maybe will do a low priority race or two in Nov. But for now I'm just riding for fun and a little, building new trail, and working on base miles, and getting my running legs back. I'll be out of the country for the whole month of december, and riding will not be an option, so hopefully I will get a few weeks of solid running, and maybe one or two of just rest, then hit the base miles in Jan, move on to build mode in Feb.

mtbr member
    Did a nice 7-week training block preparing for the 24 Hours of Moab, which was last weekend. Did my best average laps ever!! 1:27 average for the four laps I did with the team. Nice when things come together!!

Took this week off the bike and started hitting the dumbells, pushups, and crunches; just to do something different. Will probably do some trail running as well.

Baseline testing with a new coach next week, and starting up training Nov 1st.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/