mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Yoga for Cyclists DVD?

Last weekend, I got a chance to do some yoga that was cycling specific. I felt that it really helped get out some of the aches and pains in my back. I don't have the time or money to go to yoga classes consistently, so I was wondering if there are any good DVDs that you folks have used. Which one would help me on the bike for a beginning yoga student? I need something that is kind of slow. I have a hard time moving from positions.

mtbr member
    I have a "Flexible Warrior Athletic Yoga for Triathletes" that I like. I usually just do the cycling portion. I like the speed and explanation the instructor gives. I definitely feel that my back/neck/shoulders bother me a lot less when I'm consistently doing yoga. YMMV.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I absolutely love Yoga, if it wasn't for my routine I would not be able to MTB at all because of my back. I switch up a lot so hard for me to say witch "DVD". At least do try Tara stiles, can find a ton of her on Youtube. Her vids are mostly short so you can pick and choose what ares to focus on.

mtbr member
    Cycling specific yoga? Hmmm, why not do the class again and memorize the moves? P90X, P90X2 both have yoga in their fitness program. You can buy those everywhere or find them on the internet.

edit - or do a Google search. There's plenty of stuff there.

Let me google that for you

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Obviously there is a ton of yoga stuff on google. I am trying to see what works for others. I would probably be doing my yoga before bed each night, so a class is not going to work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have been using this routine amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMFE1X0 - this is their site yogaforsports.org which I think was released recently. I really like it and I have noticed an increase in how much energy I have for the next day.

I find the routine most effective if it is used right before and after the ride, unlike other yoga for that done right before bed or when you wake up.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Try Power Yoga by Brian Kest...its like a workout,but it really stretches you and puts your muscles to work...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I use for some time the Cyclo zen video in the site cyclocore.com of Graeme Street . This is cycling specific power yoga training and I feel very good since I started to use them. It's not free but I think it wotrh the price.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Just wondering, does yoga help with breathing, and balance on bike?

mtbr member
    It couldn't hurt.

mtbr member
    This is a good one. She also has a book (same title) that explains all moves in detail.

Endurance Films - Performance - The Athlete's Guide to Yoga

Me and my wife do it in the evenings. I bought it cheaper from Amazon sometime last year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey Sb.Reno,

I just bought this DVD called Yoga For Cyclists and Everyone Else from Yoga For Cyclists and Everyone Else and it is really, really excellent.

They have a ton of different sequences that you can play in a row, or to create a time/result specific workout - and then they have an additional 90 Min Yoga sequence that is a full-fledged, kick-your-butt, yoga class (set on a beach) - and the whole thing is designed to help cyclists step up their game.

It's cool because it focuses on everything you need - core strength, working out muscle groups that are dormant in cycling, and stretches for permanent muscle length. They have sequences for before, during, and after your ride - and one that "mimics a gym day" - plus the full 90 min class mentioned above.

I really recommend it, it's worth every penny at around $25 and shipping was super fast. I lost 20 lbs since first starting with it about 5-6 weeks ago, and that's with still gaining a ton of muscle. My back problems are completely gone and my joints are feeling better than ever. Plus there's the "inner peace" and "balance" benefits - but I won't bore you with that. It's just all around really cool stuff, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sb.Reno View Post
    Last weekend, I got a chance to do some yoga that was cycling specific. I felt that it really helped get out some of the aches and pains in my back. I don't have the time or money to go to yoga classes consistently, so I was wondering if there are any good DVDs that you folks have used. Which one would help me on the bike for a beginning yoga student? I need something that is kind of slow. I have a hard time moving from positions.