mtbr member
    May 2010

Yeti ASR 5 or Trek Fuel EX 9

I'm looking at these bikes, i plan to just ride trails most as a casual rider but also have considered trying to do about 1 XC race a year. i don't really want to aim to win. just to compete. I've ridden the trek and it felt good. Unfortunately i don't have a Yeti dealer around here for me to ride one. Thoughts opinions? And no i don't want a carbon frame. so getting a Top Fuel isn't for me.

few facts that might help
    6'
    185lbs

Thanks guys

Lucas

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ordered an ASR5 carbon. I wanted a 120mm carbon frame with RLC fork and rp23 shock. Components are more of a personal choice and am fine with upgrading down the road. To get a good fork on shock on the trek meant spending over $6 grand.

Looking at the alloy frames, the Trek looks a little cheaper than the yeti, so i dunno. I've never ridden a trek, but my buddy has the ASR5. It's nice and stiff, very sporty feeling compared to his old motolite and my stumpjumper fsr. The shock is tuned for minimal bob and not plushness, but it has the suspension to take bigger hits. I wanted a boutique bike and didn't even consider trek or specialized I've heard good things about Giant, but their carbon frames are crazy expensive.

Also resale should be better with the yeti.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Im looking at the same bikes, also a giant. I wish i could ride the yeti!! I plan on doing a few more races a year and like you said, Im not looking to get first, but I want to be competitive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a 2010 asr 5 alloy, and I rode a 2010 trek fuel ex8. It was like night and day. Im so glad I went with the Yeti, a bit more price but man the attention to detail is soooo nice. Titainieum hardware. Carbon rear. It's a fast bike,the Trek was nice dont get me wrong,but I wanted something different and unique. Its a fast bike, going up and down. Hit me up if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Watch this and all of your questions will be answered:
    http://www.yeticycles.com/#/features...th_to_north/8/

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is the swing arm on the ASR 5 Alloy version still carbon? I guess i'm just skeptical of carbon on a mountain bike. Also, any thoughts on the new Trek DRCV rear shock vs. the fox rp-23 that comes on the yeti?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 187
    Watch this and all of your questions will be answered:
    http://www.yeticycles.com/#/features...th_to_north/8/

Wow.
    I have a 2010 ARR-5 and LOVE it.
    On a side note, the music in this vid is the gaslight anthem... going on tour with them July 16th, starinting in St Louis.

Come check it out.

The rear triangle is all carbon, even on the alloy... it's nice and stiff.