mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XX1 Race Situations and Gearing

all, long time XC racer (25+ years). Pretty strong Cat 1 (ex SemiPro). Wondering who is racing on XX1 and your thoughts. Any major drawbacks?

What front rings are you using (I race in New England and some Xterra in the Southeast).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm not racing and don't even own XX1 (it's backordered) but if you've raced the course previously you should know better than us what gearing you'd need.

Drawbacks? Some guys riding full suspension are having problems and plenty of people have broken the gripshift model.

Also, you're supposed to be able to use the same chain if you only go up two teeth, like from 32 to 34. The same chain will work. If you go from 32 to 36/38, you'll need a new chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I'm not racing and don't even own XX1 (it's backordered) but if you've raced the course previously you should know better than us what gearing you'd need.

Drawbacks? Some guys riding full suspension are having problems and plenty of people have broken the gripshift model.

Also, you're supposed to be able to use the same chain if you only go up two teeth, like from 32 to 34. The same chain will work. If you go from 32 to 36/38, you'll need a new chain.
    I have a 32T & a 36T chainring on my XX1 crank & I swap from one to the other depending on terrain with same chain with no problems.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I have a 32T & a 36T chainring on my XX1 crank & I swap from one to the other depending on terrain with same chain with no problems.
    I imagine you would just have to initially size the chain for the biggest ring you intend to use.

On another note, I spoke with Todd Wells at the Whiskey about his XX1 and gearing. He said he loves it for XC, this was the first marathon type event he was using it in. He chose a 38T for that course. His power/weight might be different than most peoples though, so ymmv
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    That's good news if you can do a 4 tooth increase. I thought it was just 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    That's good news if you can do a 4 tooth increase. I thought it was just 2.
    I read 2 tooth also, I dont remember where though. Might've been on the sram website. Good to hear on the 32 to 36 jump. Thats what I plan on doing, and getting by with one chain will be better.

Dirty South Underdog
    The hold-up for me isn't the high & low, but the jumps in between. I'd be all for it if they made a megarange-style cassette. brickhouseracing » Thing that needs to exist #327
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Bro Mountainbiker
    My biggest gripe about xx1 is the 10-12 tooth jump.

Thats a 15 gear inch jump.
    The 36-42 tooth jump is only 4 inches.

They need to come out with a tighter setup for XX1. Not everyone needs a 42t cassette to climb their local terrain.

Maybe the Red 22 11-32 cassettes will work with XX1 and allow that setup.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    My biggest gripe about xx1 is the 10-12 tooth jump.

Thats a 15 gear inch jump.
    The 36-42 tooth jump is only 4 inches.

They need to come out with a tighter setup for XX1. Not everyone needs a 42t cassette to climb their local terrain.

Maybe the Red 22 11-32 cassettes will work with XX1 and allow that setup.
    I'm using the wolf tooth component chain rings, an xt clutch type derailleur, and a xo 11-36 cassette. So, I'm not actually on xx1, but I've used a 1x before in the midwest, and I liked it a lot. I'm sure this setup will be fine!

mtbr member
    The only thing that sucks about the XX1 gearing, as Sheepo has said, is the 10-12 jump. Otherwise it's the same gaps as an XX cassette (or just about any other 10 speed cassette). I've been running a 32t on a 29er, race pro class, and it has been all the gearing I need. 34 tooth would be better so I wouldn't have to use the 10t as much on the road, but I don't feel like buying a chainring for that marginal improvement. I also do like having the 32t as many of my fun rides have sustained 18% climbs. If I was racing a fat tire crit on pavement, I'd choose a 36t.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't care much for what's between 10 and 42, there's more than enough I'll ever need in there, but either a 34 or 36T would be my preference. The 42 is not that easy to push with the 36T on a 29'er. Events with lot's of or steep climbing in general it can make it tough when you just want to spin. 34T seems like the sweet spot. It'll still provide enough top end on pavement sections.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

WTC + XTR is the kitty's meow

I am using a WTC (Wolf Tooth Components) 88bcd ring with XTR because I prefer much XTR shifting over SRAM. Plus I think the M985 crankset is the finest out there. The other advantage is that the WTC rings (88bcd or other) are cheaper than XX1 or XTR.

In the end, you will probably need multiple chainrings for 1x setup regardless if it is XX1 or other.
    XX1 Race Situations and Gearing-xtr-wtc.jpg

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I saw that 88bcd chainring on the Wolftooth site the other day, and I almost got it even though all the other stuff I would need for XX1 is out of stock. That is one sweet looking chainring. Ha! I just noticed they even put your name on it?!? Is that just an option they'll do? Cost? Eek, my poor wallet. As soon as I see XX1 back in stock, I think I'll be jumping on this. My next two races have about 5000' and 10000' of climbing, so I'm not looking to just to do 1x10 at this point. I have a feeling I'll be using the little ring on my 40x28 up front, with my 11/36 in the rear. There's some steep sections. But with a 42 in the back? Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by bjmoore1 View Post
    I am using a WTC (Wolf Tooth Components) 88bcd ring with XTR because I prefer much XTR shifting over SRAM. Plus I think the M985 crankset is the finest out there. The other advantage is that the WTC rings (88bcd or other) are cheaper than XX1 or XTR.

In the end, you will probably need multiple chainrings for 1x setup regardless if it is XX1 or other.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xtr wtc.jpg 
Views:	1789 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	795835
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Bro Mountainbiker
    Xx1 cranks are back in stock!
    I just ordered a xx1 crank and xo type 2 derailler!

Stoked to try it out.

mtbr member
    Xx1 cranks are back in stock!
    I just ordered a xx1 crank and xo type 2 derailler!

Stoked to try it out.
    Sweet! I skipped the xx1 crank, since it was only ~70 grams lighter than my XT, and I would still need a gxp bottom bracket. I just converted my bike yesterday, but made the mistake of thinking I had SS chain ring bolts, but they got sold with a bike about 2 months ago. So, still no ride yet!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    Sweet! I skipped the xx1 crank, since it was only ~70 grams lighter than my XT, and I would still need a gxp bottom bracket. I just converted my bike yesterday, but made the mistake of thinking I had SS chain ring bolts, but they got sold with a bike about 2 months ago. So, still no ride yet!
    If you are really getting ancy, you can file down double chainring bolts to make the single sized. Pain in the arse, but it allows you get some ride time.

Did I catch a niner?
    If you are really getting ancy, you can file down double chainring bolts to make the single sized. Pain in the arse, but it allows you get some ride time.
    Or just use some washers.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    thanks for the suggestions. I am ready to ride it, but the trails are pretty nasty still. We seem to be about 2-4 weeks behind average trail thaw.

BDT
    mtbr member
    I've used XX1 for a few races and love it. I have the gripshift version, it's quiet and shifts very well compared to the XX that it replaced. For my area (southeast), I really like the 34t. The races I'm doing now are pretty short (XC Cat 2) and when longer (50+ mile) races comes up w/ longer climbs I'll probably switch back to the 32t. You mentioned xterra southeast - I live near Oak Mountain and it's definitely a great choice for that trail.

Formerly of Kent
    As the USAC, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to honor my "pro" license from OBRA, or my Cat 1 road license, I'll be racing Cat1 MTB on a 36t x 11-36 next year in VA/WV/NC.

Boo. Hiss.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    As the USAC, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to honor my "pro" license from OBRA, or my Cat 1 road license, I'll be racing Cat1 MTB on a 36t x 11-36 next year in VA/WV/NC.

Boo. Hiss.
    Frustrating, but unsurprising. USAC doe not like anyone but USAC to have anything to do with racing.

I'll likely see you at a few of the NC/VA races next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    The only thing that sucks about the XX1 gearing, as Sheepo has said, is the 10-12 jump. Otherwise it's the same gaps as an XX cassette (or just about any other 10 speed cassette). I've been running a 32t on a 29er, race pro class, and it has been all the gearing I need. 34 tooth would be better so I wouldn't have to use the 10t as much on the road, but I don't feel like buying a chainring for that marginal improvement. I also do like having the 32t as many of my fun rides have sustained 18% climbs. If I was racing a fat tire crit on pavement, I'd choose a 36t.
    Good points, thanks for the insight. I'm building an XX1 bike with 36t because I'm concerned about long road sections and also sprints. Thirdly I am tall and ride 180mm cranks so the gearing is a little lower. 6t above 1:1 should be a luxury after using 1x10 34x11-36.