mtbr member
    Sep 2013

XTERRA Tri Training

I have a background in running, and have always been a bit of a natural on the road bike. I did quite well at quite a few road tris (won 2 over-all and 2nd overall in the other) last year and wanted a bigger challenge this year. I live in Wyoming so the XTERRA national championships are an easy drive for me and fitness-wise I know I can get at a level that could get me there. I am flying slightly blind for training as it is though. I hired a coach last year for road triathlons, but she has no experience mountain biking.

Are there a set of must-haves type of workouts I need to get in every week? In running, the "tri-pod" typically stands on the legs of a long run, a threshold run, and some interval/race-pace specific work.

Is there a similar analogy with mountain biking, and if so, how do you work technical riding into your weekly routine.

I'll likely be biking 3-4 times a week and at least one ride will be 3-5 hour long ride with lots of sustained climbs (I have a 10-12 mile sustained climb that gains around 5,000 feet). What else should I mix in there for the other 2-3 rides assuming I'll get in recovery while swimming/running?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a good plan. I'd mix in some trail run, mountain bike bricks and some 6-8 X 2-3 min. mountain bike hill repeats in your VO2 max HR or PWR range. I'd say your mountain biking should be 50% of your riding overall because you need to train on what your racing for skill and familiarity. I'd do the long bike ride on the road. Hope that helps!

You should do very well with your background. Typically Xterra athletes are slow swimmers but strong MTB and trail runners.