mtbr member
    May 2010

Xterra race report

So yesterday i did my first ever Xterra triathlon and i have to say. Those things are BRUTAL. I finished in 3:56:58 and got 3rd in my category (College student). The bike and the swim went really well but the run was extremely difficult. Started to get a blister on my foot about 1/3 of the way into the run so the last 2/3 of it was just painful. I finished though. Can't wait for next year.

The winner overall finished the race in about 2:35:00 ..-ish which is just insane. Needless to say i'm a hurting unit today. Need to recover quick cause i have another XC race this weekend. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My recovery from xterra races, 1 or 2 days completely off. 1st workout back, nice and easy swim, dont' even worry about pace, then work in an easy run and bike, 1 more swim and by then it'll be the weekend and time to get ready for your xc race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Did you race the Xterra at Sugar Bottom? I raced on Sunday and just squeaked out a 3:59.24 which beat my last year time by 4 minutes but man the course was alot tougher this year.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yep, that's the one. And yeah a friend of mine who did last years said this year the course was way harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What parts of the loop did they bike and run? Can you compare the loops to what the MTB race normally runs in the fall?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    from the transition you went down the fire road to trail 305 (novice loop) i think they had that more to let you warm up on the bike than anything. but after that you went up the fire road climb to trail 201. you did all of 201, 202, 203, and 205 and then 301, 302, and 303. it would spit you out at the bottom of the climb on the fire road so then you would climb back up to trail 201 again. Personally i thought the trail choices they made were perfect for this type of event. I think for the one in the fall is maybe ditch 202 or 203 and add trail 304. It would be a perfect 5 mile loop for that race. last year they tried to hit every trail in the park and it was like 10 miles per loop and it was just dumb. But that's my opinion. Personally i find the south side much more enjoyable than the north side.

EDIT: here was the link to the course pdf. http://xterrasugarbottom.com/sites/d...IDE%202011.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hysteriamk2 View Post
    from the transition you went down the fire road to trail 305 (novice loop) i think they had that more to let you warm up on the bike than anything. but after that you went up the fire road climb to trail 201. you did all of 201, 202, 203, and 205 and then 301, 302, and 303. it would spit you out at the bottom of the climb on the fire road so then you would climb back up to trail 201 again. Personally i thought the trail choices they made were perfect for this type of event. I think for the one in the fall is maybe ditch 202 or 203 and add trail 304. It would be a perfect 5 mile loop for that race. last year they tried to hit every trail in the park and it was like 10 miles per loop and it was just dumb. But that's my opinion. Personally i find the south side much more enjoyable than the north side.

EDIT: here was the link to the course pdf. http://xterrasugarbottom.com/sites/d...IDE%202011.pdf

What an odd odd odd wave selection for that race..

Usually xterras have the fastest AG go first, so there's not overcrowding on the trails, but this race is sending out the fastest wave second to last.. the swim waves will be hitting each other and I wonder how crowded it was for the mid-pack people at the beginning of the bike.