Always pushing harder!!!

Xterra...any tips? (asap)

Now than I'm stupid enought to enter an Xterra, I need some tips from people who have done a few...for instance, its a shorter race...750m, 15km and 5k...I know the course since last race of the XC season was there last week (gladly, I won my AG). I've been a swimmer/surfer all my life, but I haven't been in the water in the last two weeks...Running? Its part of my life been a racer before taking on MTB races...all of them together? This will be my first...

I have a mental plan of what I want to do and when...also I have a mental plan of how I will hanlde the transition...but any tips you guys can give will be welcome...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Have not done the Xterra, but have done some triathlons. My 2 cents would be:
    1. Do some 4 mile runs immediately after a hard bike work out. You will need to do this in the event and it takes some getting used to.
    2. Prepare your equipment for the race. You will want your helmet resting on your handle bars and the shoes ready and right next to your bike.
    3. Think about any food or beverage you want during the race and have them ready to go on race day.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    As OLx6 said, brick workouts (bike to run, or swim to bike) are crucial for being ready for your first tri. Also run through your transitions a few times before the race, that way your are not fumbling around during the race or you don't forget something. If you watch road tri's compared to Xterra's, the people at road tri's are much better at transitions. I found it very funny how slow, and chaotic the transitions were for people in Xterra's.

In terms of training it sounds like you can just stick to what you are doing but add in the bricks and it will be a piece of cake. One of the biggest issues a lot of people have in their first race is sighting while in the swim but if you are a surfer/swimmer already you are use to open water so it should not be an issue.

mtbr member
    I haven't done any tri's, but have done some duo's. Can't stress transition enough! Make sure all your stuff is lined up and ready to go for the next phase.

Also agree about working on transitioning from swimming to biking, then from biking to running. For some reason my calves always cramp up when getting off the bike and starting the run. This transition at a leisurely/ training pace is never hard, but is entirely different at race pace. Plan to do most of your fueling on the bike.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Swim slow.

If you are a swimmer, then you can go decently fast with little effort. Instead of trying to shave a minute off your swim time by pinning it, swim smooth and efficiently and same your energy bike and run.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Definitely what LMN said, cruz the swim...ha if you're not the fastest find a few ppl to draft with on the swim.... and get those transitions down. Having your **** together is the easiest way to drop time. good luck!!!!

mtbr member
    Carlos, I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe next year for me. You sure have all the prerequisites for kicking a$$ it seems. Two of my cycling teamates were swimmers in HS and each won the sprint version on seperate years.

Xterra is getting huge in my area (I believe it's the championship). Lance Armstrong even came into town:
    Gallery: 2011 XTERRA USA Championship

Some people I know did a "secret" pre-ride the week before with him. They were sworn to secrecy.

I wound up doing the crit races at the "Xterra downtown festival" (it has another name, but that's what it winds up being). Just an awesome day for cycling and outdoor sport in my area.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 09-27-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Always pushing harder!!!
    Well, race was on Sunday...I won my AG and placed 6th overall. I've been surfing all my life, and at the beginning of the swim I had to pace myself but I came out of the water with the lead group. First transition killed me...it was raining and miserable...and when I got on the bike, I was drained. After 20 minutes on the bike I got my strengh back and started hammering wich led to a sizeable lead in my AG. Second transition was a lot faster and even tough I haven't done any 5k's in years, I paced myself just to not loose any ground. It was muddy and slippery, but I managed keep my lead and was only passed by another racer with more experience.

All in all, I had a good race,but honestly, this is not my kind of event. I've been good at each of them individually, but not great. Then again, this was my first time. In the future, if I enter a race like this, I'll try and train some before the event!!!

Thanks for the input guys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Congratulations on your race.

If you prepare more the next one keep in mind you are doing it for fun. It is easy to go overboard training for a triathlon.

mtbr member
    Where do you find out about these events? i always look, but it seems like all Xterra events are pro-only.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    check out the schedule on www.xterraplanet.com. Most of the 2011 races are over with but the 2012 schedule should be out soon.

Always pushing harder!!!
    This was the first event like this in Puerto Rico since 2005...next year there are going to have 5 events for a points championship...and all this will be done in a way that does no confilt with our XC race season...