banned
    Aug 2012

XC racing with road shoes?

I have found a good deal on a pair of SIDI road cycling shoes that accept SPD cleats. The reason I like them a lot is because they are light and at a very good price. I only have money to buy 1 good pair of racing shoes right now and was thinking of buying these.

I am an avid roadie as I am a mountain biker. I train 6 days a week 3 days road and 3 days mountain. I like XC riding a little more than I like road but I want a shoe that can fit both bills.

I have SPD pedals on both my road bike and mountain bike so all I need is a decent pair of shoes that are SPD compatible. I race XC all the time. Would there be any setbacks to using a road designed shoe for mountain biking? Is it true that road shoes offer a stiffer sole? That would be a plus for me because I want the most efficiency in power transfer possible

mtbr member
    Road shoes don't have a tread on them. If you ever have to put your foot down you'll have no traction with the road shoes. High end mtn.shoes are plenty stiff to use on the road.
    You can use (I do) mtn shoes on a road bike but not so much the other way around.

Gumnut Peddler
    I have a friend who uses road shoes on a MTB. They work fine, unless he needs to grab some traction with his feet (as mentioned above).

I guess it depends on which you ride more and are more passionate about. I would go with the MTB shoes, just because of the grip factor on dirt over road shoes

banned
    Aug 2012
    Hmm you're right about not being able to walk. XC racing can be very unpredictable and before you know it you might have to end up getting off the bike and running a section.

I suppose road shoes will not help me there.

mtbr member
    If you only want to buy one pair of shoes, go for MTB shoes. Of course MTB shoes won accept road cleats so you will need MTB pedals for your road bike as well.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

\m/{-_-}\m/
    I run one pair of shoes on both bikes and it's an MTB shoe. Sidi Dominator with Crank Bro's Eggbeaters. I'd never run road shoes on the trail. Those soles on roots and rocks would be terrible if you ever had to walk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Rideit may call you a troll.... Using road shoes and pedals for certain courses