mtbr member
    Jan 2008

XC Racing Rig Options

Hey guys last year i asked for some guidance on a SS rig and got some great feed back here. I researched a lot of the suggestions and ended up with a Stump jumper SS, and i love it. This year i am thinking about getting rid of my 5.5 intense and getting a pure XC racing rig. I have had some great rides/time on my intense put this stump jumper just made me want to go faster and faster. So I am hoping to get some suggestions on a XC 29er carbon hard tail frame. Currently i have on my mind a flash and obviously a stump jumper. I am hoping to get it down around 21+/- pounds. Please help, all opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    J

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    29er huh...,

My advice is to ride both, as well as throwing a leg over an Ibis Ripley, and an SC Tallboy.

21 pounds is a nice goal, good luck.

The Epic S works is pretty nice right out of the box. Roval carbon wheels will make you think it came with free EPO and 2 visits to Dr. Ferrari!

A 1400g wheelset, any of the above frames and an XTR or XX build and you can't go wrong. I shouldn't say can't. Dont ruin a dream bike with avid brakes. Get formula or XTR. I've ridden both, and the new XTR have the best feel I've ever used.

So, I guess what I'm saying is ride everything and get the one that gives you the biggest smile.

That's my 2 cents.
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you like your Stumpy SS then maybe another Stumpy, like Grizzy said the Epic is pretty sweet too. The Path has Epic demos (not S-Works) you may want to try it out.

mtbr member
    I would suggest test riding on trails. I rode a couple 29er's on pavement, and decided to build one. I actually did not like the handling of the 29er in single track, and much prefer my 26er. So, I parted out a pretty much new bike and lost a fair bit of $$$. My own fault though.

SS XC Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by OSKIN100 View Post
    Please help, all opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    J

You can pick up a used 2010 S-works Stumpjumper for about $2k if you look. It's a good bike and it is fast and light. With winter approaching, it's a good time to pick up some of last seasons bikes at a discount. As for 21lbs, it's very doable with a hardtail but it's very dependent on your budget.

I'd rather be riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    I would suggest test riding on trails. I rode a couple 29er's on pavement, and decided to build one. I actually did not like the handling of the 29er in single track, and much prefer my 26er. So, I parted out a pretty much new bike and lost a fair bit of $$$. My own fault though.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Drop in?... Anyone?
    All the main ones are gonna be good... Scott, orbea, trek, cannon dale, etc.. Etc.. Etc... However... The stumpy Reba brain... Is sick, and now it is available as a Sid. The other... The damn carbon roval wheel set. It's a game changer. So... Unlimited budget... Sworks. Limited budget, either the expert or comp... With the carbon roval wheel set... It really does change the game.

And with any one of those... As long as the roval wheel set is on it will be close to 21 pounds... The s works... Under it. The expert, with a few additional and inexpensive upgrades... Can be below 21 with ease.
    Last edited by strat819; 10-05-2011 at 02:00 PM.