Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

XC Grips, Which Ones?

What would be your choice of grip using the criteria below?

Flat bars
    Stubby bar-ends (so I'm assuming that outer lock-on rings are a non-starter)
    Ideally a small-ish diameter with a diamond pattern
    Must be suitable to use with bar-ends
    Longevity not an issue

I've always used Yeti grips but want to try something with a more uniform surface. ODI Ruffians look good but I'm wondering if the outer lockring will make it uncomfortable to use with bar-ends.

There are so many choices out there that I've become confused so opinions appreciated...... Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Major Clanger; 04-13-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Typo'
    Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.

ups and downs
    Shimano/Pro XCR, Koryak, and Atherton lock-on grips only use an inner clamp so you can trim the length to fit bar ends

MTB Grips
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Helmetless Crasher
    MTB Grips

Love ESI's.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Just what I needed thanks both! I'm going for the Pro XCRs, they look spot-on.....

mtbr member
    I second the ESI recommendation.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you can't use lock-ons, then ESI Chunky all the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    I second the ESI recommendation.
    Third.

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    I would get ergons with built in bar ends

mtbr member
    I have ergon's and esi. The esi chunky's are SO soft. Its hard for me to even ride my ergons.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm01 View Post
    Third.
    Fourth

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Fourth
    Number five for ESI grips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ergon GA1's. we just got a pair of the EVO variety and they are quite a bit lighter.(clamp is now plastic)
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I tried all sorts of grips over the years but always come back...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ESI are game changers.

Relentless forward motion
    fifth, sixth... or seventh... not sure what we are on.

E-S-I

no contest
    "Racing cyclocross exposes the truth, it's the biggest reason many people do not race it"

mtbr member
    Gonna order some ESIs tomorrow.

mtbr member
    So many votes for the ESI grips cannot go ignored....... So I've bought a pair of Racers Edge ones in black!!

Thanks

mtbr member
    You can use the ODI Ruffians with Cane Creek barends, as the barends function as outer Lock Jaw for Lock-On grips. Provides a seamless transition from bar to barend, i.e. no gap.

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Brakes & Grips
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

mtbr member
    ESI Chunky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Love these grips. I'm on my eighth pair. I might have to buy out the entire stock, so i can still use them when I'm in my 60's.

The only problem with them is that they wear out fast
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XC Grips, Which Ones?-grind.png  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    my uncle gave me his old, used and crashed hard odi ruffian and after that i bought a bar end for my bike, and i realized the outer lock on were to wide to couple with bar ends and i decided to modify it out.. the way to put odi ruffian with bar ends on its side is to pull the outer lock on rings of the grips with a spoon, fork, or something. mine works well

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ergon grips really helped eliminate hand numbness for me. And they never slip either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ESI Chunky.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Ergon GA1's... I got them 2 years ago (when new)--best ever grips..

mtbr member
    Foam pork rinds of any brand
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    ESI Grips for sure

mtbr member
    I will umteenth the ESI. I really felt no difference between the chunky and the Race.

I rode my new bike with Ergon GA1 Evo grips, and after 2 laps it was like by bars were wrapped in barbed wire. And that is coming from a rigid bike with ESI race grips, so the Ergons should have been nice.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
    I will umteenth the ESI. I really felt no difference between the chunky and the Race.

I rode my new bike with Ergon GA1 Evo grips, and after 2 laps it was like by bars were wrapped in barbed wire. And that is coming from a rigid bike with ESI race grips, so the Ergons should have been nice.
    Did you make sure the thickest part of the chunky was underneath your palms for extra cush? They are tapered as far as I can tell. I always mark mine (on side with perm ink) before install so I can tell where the thickest (chunk) is to insure proper alignment..

Yeh..not a huge diff between race and chunk, but I can tell a little..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post

I hear you. I put GA1's on my pugsley, and I almost despise riding it now. The rubber is very hard. I got those to replace the ergon biokork grips. I tried so many times to get comfortable with both of those model ergons. I guess I've been spoiled with the ESI grips. Time to get a few more pairs!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Lizard Skins Northshore lock-on grips. Good for larger hands and very "grippy"

-E

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Anyone switch from ergon's back to ESI's? I've got gx1's now and I'm looking to shave a little weight. I'm just afraid I'll miss my palm platform on the ergons

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    Anyone switch from ergon's back to ESI's? I've got gx1's now and I'm looking to shave a little weight. I'm just afraid I'll miss my palm platform on the ergons
    Have not used the Ergons, but I tried the Oakley palm platform grips back in my bmx days.
    Was kinda indifferent about them. Did not add nor detract from the ride for me. I moved on to another grip and never looked back to or thought about platforms again.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    yes. started with ergon, switched to esi, then went back to ergon mainly for a lock on grip. But, I do miss the esi grips. I might switch back! In hindsight, should've stayed with esi. Hope thats clear as mud for you....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's about how I am. I think I may just get some ESI's again and switch back and forth between those and my ergons depending on the mood haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just put ESI's on my bike..... SO AWESOME.
    "Shut up legs!"- Jens Voigt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the new EVO GA1's from Ergon are quite a good improvement over the old ones. Allison and I are both really digging them. softer rubber and grippier compound.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I tried all sorts of grips over the years but always come back...

I'll second Yeti grips, both the original and dual compound. To me they offer the best 'grip' in terms of control, and . However, the weight wennie within currently has on some 15g foam grips.

And I have tried ESI chunky, I just don't see what the hype is all about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I recently put the ESI Chunky on and have been doing some longer training rides and I find that my hands are sore now...never had that before with ODI grips. Was about to go buy some Ergons but after reading this thread I'm wondering if that's the right call. I hate to add weight, but I really don't like the soreness in my hands that I'm getting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So I went ahead and got some ESI's. Did not like them, I can see where others would though just not for me. They gave me blisters and made my hands hurt so back to my trusty ergon GX1's I can live with the 70 grams extra weight for the comfort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    I recently put the ESI Chunky on and have been doing some longer training rides and I find that my hands are sore now...never had that before with ODI grips. Was about to go buy some Ergons but after reading this thread I'm wondering if that's the right call. I hate to add weight, but I really don't like the soreness in my hands that I'm getting.
    The Ergon GX1 grip has a large wing section which is supportive, but also quite hard with very little flex. Specialized BG Contour ergonomic grips are similar to the Ergon grips, only softer and with a smaller more flexible wing section than the Ergon GX1 has. The Specialized BG Contour grips come in two sizes - regular and wide. The lock on clamp of the Specialized BG Contour grip is inboard of the grip so that your palm doesn't rest on it also.

Specialized Bicycle Components : BG Contour Locking Grips

It takes a test ride or two spent stopping regularly and moving the grips to different positions before you'll find the ideal angle. My preferred way to set the ergonomic grips up is so that the wing section very lightly touches your palm when riding in your normal seated position. When riding in the attack position or braking offroad your hands are above the wing section, which leaves some freedom to rotate your hands around the bar to adjust your body position and drop your elbows as required. It avoids the problem that you can run into with ergonomic grips of finding that you're locked into a single hand position.

Pictured below: Specialized BG Contour grip compared to Ergon GX1 grip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XC Grips, Which Ones?-specialized_ergon_grips.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 05-06-2012 at 03:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just picked up some GP1 Ergon grips on sale at Performance for $22.95...I considered the GX1 but then decided a few extra grams is no big deal and I'd rather have the softer GP1. Will report back on how they compare to the ESI Chunky after I get some rides in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have Ergon GS1's on one bike and recently put ESI chunky's on the other (to replace very old Yeti grips, as above) I like the ESI's. They are definitely comfortable and have some nice shock absorbtion. However, I tend to agree with a review I read, which suggested that perhaps many of the people rating them so highly had come from lock-on grips, which tend to be less comfortable due to the liner tube and harder material. Coming from the Yeti's I'd say they are slightly more shock absorbing but I don't think there's an awful lot in it . I think the Yeti's are more grippy (give me calluses through my gloves when I'm riding a lot!). Overall I think I preferred the Yeti's but the ESI's are very good.

I prefer the GS1's to both, though. They are a bit tricky to get the angle dialled (wing high enough to give support but low enough that you can still drop your elbows a bit and under rotate your wrists slightly on tech sections). I find the GS1 grip material very comfortable, though they are on a bike with a Lefty, which tends to be very good on small bumps anyway.

I know what you mean about the weight - I could easily save 100g+ dumping the Ergon's...and that's on a very light bike (Cannondale carbon Flash 29er) where 100g would be a significant saving. As with saddles, though, I came to the conclusion that the weight saving wasn't worth a comfort sacrifice.

The Specialized might be good but the last pair of their Ergon style grips I tried to undo had a comically small hex bolt head that put me off right away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    The Specialized might be good but the last pair of their Ergon style grips I tried to undo had a comically small hex bolt head that put me off right away.
    The newer Specialized lock on clamps use a 3mm allen bolt now, rather than the smaller 2.5mm allen bolt fitting so they're a bit more robust and less likely to round.

Specialized Bicycle Components : Locking Rings

Most Ergon grips use a 4mm allen bolt fitting, apart from the Ergon GA1 Evo grips which use 3mm allen bolts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Did my first ride with the Ergon GP-1s and I have to say that I love them! After the ride I experimented with the angle a little bit and found an angle I like even better. They are very comfortable and absorb much more vibration than the ODIs or ESI chunky's. Hate to add weight, but have to say in this case I think its worth it if you do long rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Depends on what you ride. Had a pair of ESI's on my rigid SS and took them off the next day. For a rigid bike, I'd go Ergon's but I'm sure I'm in the minority.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi I just bought an ergon GP 1, but it wont fit my trek ex 5 handle bars, it keeps on rotating and I can actually pull it off even if I tighten the screws. I need some advice on how to put it correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by janus225 View Post
    Hi I just bought an ergon GP 1, but it wont fit my trek ex 5 handle bars, it keeps on rotating and I can actually pull it off even if I tighten the screws. I need some advice on how to put it correctly.
    Try some fiber paste, it may work. I've used my Gx1's on performance carbon bars and bonty carbon and never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Like the majority said ESI or ESI Chunky

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Try some fiber paste, it may work. I've used my Gx1's on performance carbon bars and bonty carbon and never had an issue.
    thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Only must have is lock-on! Now I use blue Lizard Skin Peaty grips.

They are very sticky, great grips!
    If you have problems with your hands, definitely ergo-grips!
    Ride to live, live to ride!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast