mtbr member
    Oct 2009

XC fork recommendations - longer and lighter than Dart 2

Hi all,

I started mtb riding and racing last year on a Cannondale F4 with a Dart 2. I only ride xc trails with no big drops so the Dart was fine except for the weight.

The only other issue I had with the bike is that the bb is low making the pedal clearance less than I would like especially since I want to go to 180mm cranks at some point.

This year I bought and rebuilt an older SID fork which seemed like a great idea until I figured out it is about 3/4" shorter than the Dart making the pedal clearance issue even worse. But the almost 3lb weight savings is awesome so I have been using it.

So, I am hoping to find another used fork that is at least as long as the Dart (18" axle to crown) and preferably under 4 lbs but there are so many options it is overwhelming.

I don't need a lot of travel or adjustments, if the SID was an inch longer it would be perfect.

Does anyone have a recommendation around the $200 mark (used)?

Thanks,
    b
    crash expert, ss convert

likes to ride bikes
    I know it's much more expensive than what you want, but consider an alloy 100mm or 110mm Lefty, used. Maybe pick one up on eBay, have it restored by your Cannondale dealer or Mendoncyclesmith, and it'll beat all: at least a pound lighter than your current setup, maybe two, higher bb height, better steering precision; your bike's made for it, it'll look sweet.

ups and downs
    What's the current travel configuration of your SID? If it's set at 80mm now, then just remove the 20mm spacer and presto a 100mm fork for no charge.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    What's the current travel configuration of your SID? If it's set at 80mm now, then just remove the 20mm spacer and presto a 100mm fork for no charge.
    I wish it was this easy! But this is an older sid that was listed as an 80 but turned out to be a 63. And there are no spacers to take out; The 80 has a different cartridge.

As for the Lefty, they are definitely cool but out of my price range this year.
    crash expert, ss convert

Fat-tired Roadie
    I found a Manitou R7 on EBay a couple years ago. Definite improvement over the stock fork on my bike. A newer SID or Reba might be findable at your price, or maybe a Recon, although that'll be heavier.

In new forks, for $200, the Match is getting some good buzz but it's listed at 5.3 lb. Probably heavier than your current fork.

Get a team deal on anything?

You can always go rigid too. It's a bit of a beating on a race bike, but the lockout is unmatched.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What year SID do you have? I have a 2002 model, and it is convertible between 80 and 63mm. Mine does not have the spacer installed, so it has 80 mm travel. There isn't a different damper cartridge to install on mine. Is your SID older? I am not familiar with models older than mine. The SRAM website has a 2003 SID manual you can download here which shows the all-travel spacer.

However, you may be better off with more than 80 mm. The A2C for the 80mm SID is about 17.75".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WillTheGreat
    What year SID do you have? I have a 2002 model, and it is convertible between 80 and 63mm. Mine does not have the spacer installed, so it has 80 mm travel. There isn't a different damper cartridge to install on mine. Is your SID older? I am not familiar with models older than mine. The SRAM website has a 2003 SID manual you can download here which shows the all-travel spacer.

However, you may be better off with more than 80 mm. The A2C for the 80mm SID is about 17.75".
    Thanks WilltheGreat, but the one I have is a 1999 and it takes different cartridges. They are listed in the parts breakdown and I have had it all the way apart and no spacers.

I have been back surfing ebay and it looks like I can find something decent amidst all the darts and toras.
    crash expert, ss convert

Members who have read this thread: 0