mtbr member
    Nov 2009

xc cross country hardtail frame

looking at building a xc cross country frame up. it seems all the hardtail frame i look at are for the 140mm+ forks, and have a slack head angle. i am looking to run a 120mm fork and have a head angle in the 69-71 range, lighter the frame the better but not looking for ti or anything crazy. i plan on racing this bike litely but more importantly just riding it alot for 2-3 hours at a time through generally bumpy stuff. not big hits but small roots and rocks are pretty common where i am at... are they any frames out there that fit this bill. i see so many am hardtail frames out there but none for what i need. help is appreciated.

i tried posting this in the bike frame forum and all i got was a reply that i would probably get some better responses in this forum.

thanks,
    adam

mtbr member

I hesitate to recommend this, but

I bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/3k-full-Carbon-M...item27b576ec1d

about a month ago and really like it. I got it for 'cross to use with 1.75 tires, but I plan on putting some fat tires on it and using it for a couple of non technical races next year. Very light and has amazingly thin seat stays that I believe do soften the ride (but can't prove it. might be new bike mania)

It is unbranded carbon, and the fear of frame failure is ever present. But I did crash it tonight in a 'cross race on some gravel and appears to be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you can pay about $1000 for a frame, there are many custom builders that can make you a frame to meet your exact wants/requirements. Curtlo, Norse, and others can make you a custom steel frame. If you want aluminum there are still some builders that can do this for you. TET Cycles is one that I know of.

If you do not want to go custom, I am sure there are other options available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the carbon ebay won't work... i don't want to have to tip toe through rock gardens fearing my bike is going to break.... 1000 is way to much for me... i bought a ragley frame for 350 which i thought was fair. i can see myself shelling out 600 for a frame but that is about my max.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Couldn't you just get any "normal" xc bike with a pretty steep headtube angle and put a 120mm fork on the front to slacken up the headtube angle?

mtbr member

A good alloy frame

Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    the carbon ebay won't work... i don't want to have to tip toe through rock gardens fearing my bike is going to break.... 1000 is way to much for me... i bought a ragley frame for 350 which i thought was fair. i can see myself shelling out 600 for a frame but that is about my max.
    I have always liked as a good combination of strength, weight, cost and geometry is the giant xtc aluxx frames. These are on ebay for about 400 shipped

Yes, i understand about the carbon 'fear of failure'.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    Couldn't you just get any "normal" xc bike with a pretty steep headtube angle and put a 120mm fork on the front to slacken up the headtube angle?

That would work. He would probably have to run a seat post with no set-back to counter act the the slacker seat angle. The BB would also be a bit higher too.

Really though, do you need at 120mm fork on a hardtail? Granted I probably said the same thing five years ago about 100mm fork.

I ride two hardtails, one with an 80mm fork and one with a 100mm fork. I can't honestly say I descend faster on the 100mm bike. (They are both Orbea Almas, one is a 2008 which was designed for an 80mm fork and one is a 2010 which is designed for a 100mm fork)
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    It is unbranded carbon, and the fear of frame failure is ever present.....
    At USD 340 for a 1.2kg carbon frame I can totally understand that.

mtbr member
    You just need something cheap? Get a nashbar, sette, performance etc. hardtail frame and you should be good to go. They are usually set up for 80-100mm travel. If you throw a 120 on there it will slacken up a bit. You'll have to make a few adjustments, but it should workout.

Rediscovered
    Honestly...

Look into a Niner EMD. 3.5 lbs with all-aluminum construction. You'd be looking at around 400-500 for a frame. Also, I didn't even give much attention to saving weight on my build, and it still comes in at 25-26 lbs with a 1x9 drivetrain.

I've been riding and racing mine for the past year with a lot of success, so I definitely recommend that you give Niner a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i got a ragley blue pig with a sagged head angle at 140mm to be 67.5 if i drop down to a 20mm fork what would the head angle be? i really hate to build my blue pig up again i kinda went at it the wrong way and it just weighs to much. i am just under 32lbs but it is pretty much ready to jump of a building without breaking. my pike 454 which is a great fork weighs almost 6lbs they got fox shocks at like under 4 lbs with 120mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you can spend $1300.00 check out a custom ti frame from Habanero Cycles. I've had mine (650b SS) for 2 years and love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    That would work. He would probably have to run a seat post with no set-back to counter act the the slacker seat angle. The BB would also be a bit higher too.

Really though, do you need at 120mm fork on a hardtail? Granted I probably said the same thing five years ago about 100mm fork.

I ride two hardtails, one with an 80mm fork and one with a 100mm fork. I can't honestly say I descend faster on the 100mm bike. (They are both Orbea Almas, one is a 2008 which was designed for an 80mm fork and one is a 2010 which is designed for a 100mm fork)
    you make a valid point.. maybe i should just go for 100mm bike... i can probably get a complete bike at a much better deal anyways, how does the 2010 stumpjumper comp add up to others out there, they sell for 1800.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    what about a yeti ARC or a tomac Cortez/Silver?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN

I find 100mm fork on a 26" hardtail offers just enough added cushion and stability that I don't really feel the need for a full suspension bike.