mtbr member

X7 vs. X9? Save the $100 or not?

Upgrades for my next race season are as follows:

Drive Train (yes the whole thing needs to be replaced)
    Front Fork

I can get a X7 Drive Kit for $240 at price point or a X9 for $350

I was wondering if the difference is really worth the $100 or if I should just go with the X7 and put the extra $100 towards a fork. My fork budget is probably about $300 so that would bump it to $400 (I have a RS Pilot right now).

Thoughts?
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I looked those up and didn't see the x7 kit but that's a good price either way. If it was me I'd go x9.

Dirt Huffer
    Ride x9 and love them. However i've only road x-5 on the lower end of SRAM and it sucked! I have no idea about x7... sorry

I'd rather be riding
    I have x7 from maybe 2008 or so and it's decent even with x5 shifters. I've ridden both the new x7 and x9 and I say go for the x9. The shifting is nearly identical to x0. Set on sram tho? I'm going to do the new xt group this spring. Shifts like butter.

mtbr member
    I have an x7 rear dereailur and x9 shifters and its f-cking sexy.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Not stuck on SRAM. Being a noob I only know that people on these forums seem to really like the X7 to XO,XX line. Since Shimanos are rarely mentioned I dont really know much about them (which ones are good, which ones are bad).

Im a big fan of Shimano personally, I use them almost exclusively for my fishing stuff.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Cheapest Shimano setup on Pricepoint is $470 for the SLX. Dont see spending that kind of money when I can get a X9 setup for under $350.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Cheapest Shimano setup on Pricepoint is $470 for the SLX. Dont see spending that kind of money when I can get a X9 setup for under $350.
    I would consider the SLX kit to include a better crankset. For $350, the x.9 is a pretty good overall value.
    Get it unlocked.

Dirt Huffer
    I switched from XT to Sram x-9 and haven't looked back. You'll find different opinions and you cant really go wrong with either. I dont know about the new XT stuff but x9 is enough for me.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Whatever you do, don't try 10 spd X.0 and then try 10 spd X.9 shifters. The bearings in the X.0 vs way cheaper feeling bushings in the X.9 drove me mad on the X.9s and I had to upgrade to X.0. :/

psycho cyclo addict
    I had '09 X7 all around on a 29er I sold, acquired another better model of the same bike that had all X9... both worked great. My main ride has X7 FD and X9 RD and works like a champ also. Don't think you can go wrong either way.

Dirt Huffer
    How about stopping into a LBS and taking a few bikes for a spin. x7, x9, and XT equiped bikes are all very popular. Of course you'll want to try them out in that exact order.

mtbr member
    AC/BC I did that. Rode a X-Caliber with X7's and a Paragon with X9's. The X-Caliber shifted smoother but in fairness to the Paragon, the triggers were positioned poorly on the Paragon and my problems with its drive train were mostly due to that.

Also the problem with LBS bikes is who knows how worn those demo bikes are and the last time they actually adjusted the drive trains....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I do not have any experience with SRAM 10 speed components but with their 9 speed stuff you are mainly just buying more reliability and a little less weight with little difference in performance. I believe the x.9 has bearings both top and bottom now on the rear derailleur. For 9 speed, Shimano makes much better front derailleurs and their cranks are lighter. I honestly think Shimano, in general, makes the best stuff... You just have to look for deals. The SRAM drivetrain components that I have used have been decent except their front derailleurs. If I were you I would go the x.7 route and buy a better fork.
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 10-20-2011 at 12:32 AM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    I have full xt drivetrains on all my bikes and love them. However, my gf's bike has x7 shifters and x5 rear derailleur and in 4 years, I have NEVER had to adjust it. It shifts great every single time.

Team Livemedium
    i ran x9 rear derailleur and x7 twist shifters to save money in my titus. twist shifters are pretty simple so i figured they are pretty much the same
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Giant Anthem
    I use older model x7 shifters because the newer model x9's died after a 60mile mud race and the olde X7's actually have worked better for me. My bike with xo derailleur which is nice but cost me 100$ to replace the cage I know experts who keep the RD modest because it's usually getting beat down during a race.

I would look on ebay for lightly used X7 shifters and a lightly used X9 RD. Keep hunting the deals on Ebay, jenson nashbar bike stop etc, you'll find a good deal this winter. Should be able to score this combo for around $100
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

Brant-C.
    how about x7 rear der; x9 shifters; shimano xt front der; then upgrade the fork.

just my $.02.

i use both and have no complaints.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaronongan View Post
    how about x7 rear der; x9 shifters; shimano xt front der; then upgrade the fork.

just my $.02.

i use both and have no complaints.
    ^^ Awesome idea. Simply awesome. Thank you sir.

Dirt Huffer
    I like that idea as well.

I went from x9 rear derailure with x9 shifters to XO shifters, keeping the same derailures, and the shifting feel is so much better. It feels more mechanical and precise. I'd say go better shifters if you have to pick and choose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Your shifters are far more important than your choice of derailleurs. Even if you're on a budget, at a minimum have X9 or XT up front. Deore, LX, SLX, X7 shifters all feel fine when they're fresh but it doesn't take long for them to feel draggy and vague- not what you want when you're racing. XO is great if you have the budget but X9 shifters with an XT FD and an X9 or X7 RD will keep you smiling all season. My race bike has XO twisters. Go ahead and laugh but they weigh nothing, they always work and when you bang your derailleur off a rock you can tweak your shifting on the fly. Just my .02

mtbr member
    I hadnt thought about the shifters. Thank you for the input. Im actually looking at just buying the whole X9 Drive Train Bundle and getting it over with. My only hesitation was thinking about going 2x10 instead of the 3x9.

Some day i'll make up my damn mind...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I agree warmonkey! you can get the x9 drivetrain but you must pair it with x9 shifters. It will shift smoothly!! been riding w/ em for couple of years now and hadnt had any problem..i also go on some slight dh w/ 2 to 3 ft drops!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    I hadnt thought about the shifters. Thank you for the input. Im actually looking at just buying the whole X9 Drive Train Bundle and getting it over with. My only hesitation was thinking about going 2x10 instead of the 3x9.

Some day i'll make up my damn mind...
    The x9 gruppo will function much better than the x7.

Try a 2x9 first if you can, but I can tell you that I switched over to 2x9 this year and am very happy with this move. I was hesitant initially, but haven't missed the extra gears. In addition, when there is less shifiting to be had, you can focus more on the ride or the race.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..