mtbr member

X POST: Virgin Clycleross Race Report: I don't Get it!!!!!!!!

Last Saturday I finally broke down and did my first Psychocross race. Iíve always thought that this looks like fun, for someone else! My problem is simple. Iím really uncoordinated. I donít like hoping on and off my bike and really donít like running. On the other hand, I love MTB racing and road racing, so how bad can it be? : Since the race was only 10 minutes from home I figured I had to give it a try. One of my teammates was kind enough to lend me his cross bike. Iíve named this bad boy ShermanÖ.like the tank! This baby weights just a couple pounds less then Blur XC!

After a few rides on Sherman I came to my first realization: Cyclecross incorporates the worst of both worlds. You have a heavy road bike that climbs like a pig on the road and no suspension for the dirt so you get beat to hell there! This is really fun! Actually it was getting to be kind of fun once I got the hang of it. By the time race day came around I was ready for some pain. I had very little practice on getting on and off, but how hard can it be? I race Expert class damm it, I can handle this right?
    I did the 40+ B race; we took off with the SS class. This has got to be the worst moment, the count down to take off.

So far so good Iím in the top 5. We get to the first barrier and some kid on an SS endos trying to Bunny hop it, ouch! Heís young, no problem. We get to the second barrier and about 2 guys fly by me like Iím sitting in quick sand. Guess I should have practiced this more. We go around to the bak side of the course and Iím foaming at the mouth trying to catch the lead group. We get in to the sand pit that has a nice steep climb to get out

We get to the last set of barriers and I loose more time. Here I am looking like an injured caribou fleeing from the lion.

Dismount

Jewish white men definitely can not jump!

Donít trip on that barrier!

Totally relaxed look on my face huh?

My teammate John told his son before the race that I was the guy who could win the race! LOL!!!!!!!! John past me after the second lap. This was his 3rd cross this year and attacked the barriers like a cheetah after his prey

Even the road section he was animal

After John left me in the dust a couple more guys passed me on, you guest it, the barriers. I ended up 7th place, and with a major sore groin from launching my leg over the saddle. I think Iíll stick to racing where I get to stay on the bike and pedal and leave the Psychocross to the well rounded, gifted athletes who can run, jump, and ride.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    welcome to hell...

I did the reverse.. road to cyclocross to mtb. I gotta say cyclocross is the hardest thing you'll do. Its about 60 mins of pure misery. But stick with it. you learn to dismount and remount and you'll shave tons of time off your XC races.

mtbr member
    Why not enter the 'Cross race in the fat-tired class (if your area has one) and ride your XC bike? I've seen guys just bunny hopping those obstacles on MTBs. I don't have that kind of skill, but it's cool to watch.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    cyclocross rocks plain and simple
    the fact that it's so bloody painful for most is exactly why it's so much fun

coming out of a set of doubles in a flat out sprint and gapping guys who aren't quite there with their technique and then just drilling it. way too much fun, gotta love it.

i worship Mr T
    LOL! jewish white girls can't jump either...if that makes you feel any better. but you're more of a, uh, man than i am just for getting out there and trying it. i've always given psychocross racing a few seconds thought and then made other plans.

nice job making it through without falling over any of the barriers....or even more embarassing, tripping over your own leg as you dismount.....not that i've ever done that or anything, i've just heard it's embarassing....really.....i swear.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Merlin,

Bean here from back east.

My first cross race came one week after I won my first Sport race at Blue Mountain, so I thought I would kick some butt. Plus the fact I was born a roadie.

17th out of 19! Huh! How did that happen??! The race was only 45 minutes long, and I was in the C class!

Cross is a different animal.

My second race I kicked butt on the barrier sections but still only made it into 14th out of 32.

Third and last cross race of the year, I made it all the way up to 7th out of 20. So improvement will come, but it is a humbling experieince. Still I think it is a blast, and a great way to stay in shape through the NY winter.

Bean
    Relive the Ride: http://www.joybean.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanaj
    Merlin,

Bean here from back east.

Bean
    Hey Bean , what are doing trolling over here? I here you got a new ouchy, heal fast!!!!!!!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    One busted ankle = time to kill.

Bean
    Relive the Ride: http://www.joybean.com

Members who have read this thread: 0