Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Would you still race after doctor said to take it easy??

I had to get a tooth pulled today, it left a small hole in my sinus and I needed 8 stitches to fix it. I was told to wait 10 days to return to strenuous excercise, but I have a very important race Sunday. Do I do it????

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.408586,-89.054493

AZ
    banned
    I wouldn't, but I listen to my doctor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Depends on the reason. What is the possible damage to racing as you are?

mtbr member
    At our level, there is no such thing as an important race (I think the National and World championships are over )......compared to long term physical damage, or risk re-doing the stitches.

If you're a 4th man on a 4 man relay, then that could be important.

Chinese Hurdler Liu Xiang chose not to run the 100 meter hurdles at the 2008 Olympics (in China) due to an achilles injury (he was at the start line before he pulled out; he was defending champ). I think that was a tad bit more important and he decided not to run.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 09-22-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

It's about showing up.
    No. Why hire a dog if you are going to do all the barking?
    I don't rattle.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i did...several times (broken ribs, broken wrist bone, etc..)

but i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed..please read sig below.

hurt like hell too...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'll put it this way. If I race, I have a great chance of winning the series points.... If I don't, I forfeit that chance and settle for second or third....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Everything I have read for tooth pulling says that doctors recommend a week but it's usually ok after 24-48 hours. It will be 4 days for me. I'll probally preride, if I have problems, I'll just start and ride easy to get some points. If I feel good throughout the preride... I'll race.. If it hurts or bleeds during the race, I'll slow way down and just finish.

Fat-tired Roadie
    When the drugs wear off tomorrow, you'll probably feel like Mike Tyson removed the tooth, not a guy with a DDS.

Showing up and collecting your finishing points sounds like a good strategy, if you can actually do that.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    If you crash and tear those stitches out... not likely but it could happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you get a dry socket from racing you'll wish you wouldn't have.

It is very painful and they pack the hole with clove oil (yep the same nasty stuff that sticks out of a ham) for about a week to keep the pain down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k6monster View Post
    Everything I have read for tooth pulling says that doctors recommend a week but it's usually ok after 24-48 hours. It will be 4 days for me. I'll probally preride, if I have problems, I'll just start and ride easy to get some points. If I feel good throughout the preride... I'll race.. If it hurts or bleeds during the race, I'll slow way down and just finish.
    I lost a few teeth and had some rugged extractions, but have never heard of someone getting a hole in a sinus cavity or stitches. Racing tends to redline your heart and blood pressure. I wouldn't do it, unless you like visiting your dentist.

Giant Anthem
    Serious guys? We've all raced when we shouldn't have and turned out just fine.

If it were me I would relax my mouth/jaw when racing and probably wear a mouth guard.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    I lost a few teeth and had some rugged extractions, but have never heard of someone getting a hole in a sinus cavity or stitches.
    From what my dentist tells me, the roots of some molars are awfully close to, and sometimes penetrate into, the sinus cavity.

OP, why not ask your doctor what the worst case is if you do race. If it were me, I'd want to know whether the worst case was just a bit of nose bleed, or whether something more serious could go wrong. I might risk having some stitches pop, but it'd be a completely different story if something more serious could happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    From what my dentist tells me, the roots of some molars are awfully close to, and sometimes penetrate into, the sinus cavity.

OP, why not ask your doctor what the worst case is if you do race. If it were me, I'd want to know whether the worst case was just a bit of nose bleed, or whether something more serious could go wrong. I might risk having some stitches pop, but it'd be a completely different story if something more serious could happen.
    Sounds reasonable to me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok, so I'm the statistical outlier that raced after having a molar extracted and wound up with a dry socket, follow on infection that deteriorated the bone structure, and ultimately required having to get a sinus lift. Yes, the chances are slight but the consequences are a pain (literally) so just take a moment to make sure that you're feeling good before the race. I was bleeding during my warm-up and that should have been a signal to not race but then again I'm a dumb@$$ and didn't head natures warning. A few thousands dollars later, many days of missed training / riding and looking like a jack o' lantern wasn't worth it in the end.

Caveat emptor!
    Last edited by TrailNRG; 09-22-2011 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How long after having your molar pulled did you race. Mine will be 4 days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Doctors have to err on the side of caution in warnings, they are liable for a lawsuit otherwise. If it were me, I'd use pain as a guide, if you are even having to take much in the terms of advil or tylenol, maybe rest is good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mine was right at 3 days. Go for an easy spin, listen to your body and see what happens but remember that racing isn't worth any long term damage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat View Post
    Doctors have to err on the side of caution in warnings, they are liable for a lawsuit otherwise. If it were me, I'd use pain as a guide, if you are even having to take much in the terms of advil or tylenol, maybe rest is good.
    Nothing to do with pain before a dry socket. It happens when the blood clot that has formed in the hole falls out from suction (straw) or pressure (exertion) leaving it exposed to air and food. Even swishing with water vigorously can dislodge it. A new clot does not form and then the pain starts.......like having someone hitting your jawbone with a hammer and chisel continuously...it's that bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    In my case it was racing and breathing hard from the effort that dislodged the clot and caused additional bleeding. ThumperG is spot on that it's like a steady tempo of getting hammered on the jaw and I was up all night after the race despite many Advil & Asprin. The follow on infection that spread through my jaw and the resulting abscess at the base of my throat were a lesson in humility to say the least!

From a has-been wannabe that no longer races much; take it easy on yourself out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Don't do it! Exact same thing happened to me - tooth pulled, close to sinus, stitched up. I did wait a bit, but there were still problems. My sinus cavity basically collapsed (partly as a result of of hard exertion; imagine a balloon of skin pushing through the hole where your tooth was); very sore, plus had to have another operation to fix it. So more stitches, more time off the bike, more doctor's appointments etc. Just a major pain all around. Listen to your doctor - let it heal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Update--- pre rode and raced. The mouth felt fine, I felt like crap for most of the race and my legs were sore and burning for most of the race. I was told that antibiotics cause a severe decline in endurance. But it wasnt as bad as i expected. During the last lap, I somehow got a second wind and hauled ass and podiumed. Probally would have done better if I wasn't taking it easy in the technical sections because I was scared of crashing. But, otherwise, a good day considering!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k6monster View Post
    I felt like crap for most of the race and my legs were sore and burning for most of the race...and hauled ass and podiumed.
    Wow! If getting on the podium is a bad day, I can't imagine what a good day must be like. Woot! Congratulations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm a dentist.
    Lol... a lot of interesting (and inaccurate) information here.

Most likely you'll be fine.

However, if you had a sinus exposure from your extraction, you have an increased risk of creating a chronic nasal-antral communication, which is basically a direct hole from you mouth to your nose that never heals without another surgery.

By breathing heavily through the nose and mouth during the race, you may be preventing this sinus exposure (especially the sinus membrane) from healing over and could lead to this chronic communication.

I extract over 800 teeth a year, so I have seen just about everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast