mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Would you notice a change in rear wheels on race day?

Bordering on a stupid question, but.....if someone replaced your race-day carbon or light alloy rear wheel with an off-the-shelf rear "training" wheel that was narrower in external and internal width would you notice? Same tire, gearing.

The off the shelf was light but not as light or stiff as what you currently run, but was still good quality.
    Last edited by westin; 10-11-2013 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    I currently run Stans Crests on DT 240's as my race wheels.

I have a stock set of DT Swiss XR29 wheels from my scale pro.

They don't have the same tires (Racing Ralphs on the Stans, Rocket Rons on the XR 29). Same rotors, skewers and cassette.

The XR29 are ~ 200 g heavier. I notice that. The other factors, not so much.

mtbr member
    The difference between carbon and non-carbon wheels, especially on a 29er is definitely noticeable if that's what your asking. Which is why everyone says upgrade wheels 1st

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I doubt you would feel it much if at all, but a very small increase in speed can really add up in a race. Some of the local races are on fairly tricky single track, maybe averaging 10mph? just adding .1 mph average is over half a minute on an hour course (is my math right?). I can think of at least once race I would have won last spring if I had been just 1% faster. I guess I need new lighter wheels and tires!; running xt hubs dt db spokes and Stans 355s, tubeless with not super light tires.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Maybe. I might notice the width. I doubt I'd be able to tell a difference in any of the other stuff.

I could imagine that it would add several seconds to my time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would definitely notice it, I charge my bike hard on downhills and stuff it through corners pretty good. I won't notice the weight since I'm slow and ride a fairly heavy bike anyway, but the lack of stiffness will definitely affect how aggressively I can ride the bike on downhills and higher speed sections.

FasCat Coaching
    Yes, especially if they were changed brand of wheel/spoke/hub. 2 years ago I ran Stan's Arch EX for training and RaceGolds for race day. Could fully feel the weight and stiffness difference on a quick swap. This past season I swapped to Mavic Crossmax and literally had to relearn to ride the bike in corners. The Mavics were so stiff. Whereas I was used to the Stans wheels preloading up in the corners and literally flexing, the mavics would just hold their ground and would often skid as the wheel was skipping through the corner from not flexing. The mavic hubs also engaged nicely, the stans did too, but I've always found a super weird dead spot in Stans hubs during engagement.
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists