• 12-14-2012
    jroden
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum1321 View Post
    That is a gross oversimplification and misunderstanding of triathlon training. Sure, there is lots of endurance work involved in triathlon, but training takes the same for as single sports. The closer to your event, the more specific you need to be. That takes the form of more speed work in all sports. Sure you could go out and just do a bunch of endurance training to complete a triathlon, but if you have any hopes of being competitive, it's not just base building like you are seemingly implying.

My point is for someone with 12 hours of time for training, doing swim-bike-run is fine for building aerobic base, but as the season approaches, the rider looking to maximize performance on the bike needs to spend the bulk of those hours riding on a bike and not swimming or running. Running repeat quarters on the track is demanding, but will not do nearly as much as a structured interval workout on the bike.

I don't think what I said was overly cryptic or vague, it's just the movement of generalized endurance activities to specific activities that are related to the sport.
  • 12-14-2012
    skibum1321
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jroden View Post
    My point is for someone with 12 hours of time for training, doing swim-bike-run is fine for building aerobic base, but as the season approaches, the rider looking to maximize performance on the bike needs to spend the bulk of those hours riding on a bike and not swimming or running. Running repeat quarters on the track is demanding, but will not do nearly as much as a structured interval workout on the bike.

I don't think what I said was overly cryptic or vague, it's just the movement of generalized endurance activities to specific activities that are related to the sport.

Yeah, absolutely the more time you spend on the bike the better. You really need to pick whether to optimize your triathlon performance or your cycling performance. I was just questioning your assertion that triathlon fits into the phase of general fitness. It's not general fitness, it's very specific to the sport of triathlon and you will not optimize your triathlon performance by viewing it as a "general phase".
  • 12-14-2012
    jroden
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum1321 View Post
    Yeah, absolutely the more time you spend on the bike the better. You really need to pick whether to optimize your triathlon performance or your cycling performance. I was just questioning your assertion that triathlon fits into the phase of general fitness. It's not general fitness, it's very specific to the sport of triathlon and you will not optimize your triathlon performance by viewing it as a "general phase".

I t
    know but the guy was asking about doing triathlon as training FOR MTB racing. So my answer is yes it's pretty good for general fitness training, better than downhill skiing or basketball, maybe less better than XC skiing and certainly less better than road bike racing or cyclocross.

The problem of course is the peak seasons of the two sports overlap in most parts of the country, so training for triathlons at a casual level would be good 8 months out, but not so good a month out.
  • 12-14-2012
    Mageetah
    Yes I'm hoping to let swim bike run replace bike bike bike through the winter basically for keeping/building a general aerobic base. I also agree that I have to pick my battles. I'm currently planning on doing tri's for a fun new challenge, but my main focus will still be XC.
  • 12-17-2012
    skibum1321
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mageetah View Post
    Yes I'm hoping to let swim bike run replace bike bike bike through the winter basically for keeping/building a general aerobic base. I also agree that I have to pick my battles. I'm currently planning on doing tri's for a fun new challenge, but my main focus will still be XC.

So in that case, I would stay with a fairly bike heavy training load and mix in a bit of running and swimming. If you were aiming for tri as your primary focus, I would recommend much more running.
  • 12-19-2012
    The Boz
    I love running and swimming because I can fit in short workouts in my hectic schedule. I can swim for a half an hour or run for 30-50 minutes on days where I just don't have time to bike, it still keeps my heart and lungs in shape, and keeps my weight down (very important to keep lean!). With snow on the ground here in Utah my winter riding options are limited and I can't stand spinning. Swimming is also a GREAT recovery day activity. I also pull out the cross country skate skis in the winter, which is a blast and a good workout.

When I'm in good triathlon shape, I also feel overall in better shape than when I'm just in good cycling shape. Mixing up the workouts in triathlon also keeps me from burning out- you think this won't happen to you, but it happens to everyone in racing eventually.

But one of the big reasons that I run and swim is XTERRA! I can't explain how awesome these races are to folks that haven't tried them, an Xterra race is simply a blast, and once you do one you will be hooked (the Utah championship is the best!)
  • 12-24-2012
    thedood
    In the OP's situation I am not so sure the cross training will help the base much for THIS year. The swim and run mileage would need some time to catch up to the nice bike mileage that has accumulated.

No question I think swimming and running can help overall. Join a local masters swim class and you'll quickly see why good swimmers are dominating the triathlon scene. Their aerobic base is off the charts, but it took them many years to get there. Building run mileage in a safe manner, especially on the trails, will definitely help your XC base, but it will take time to safely build. Hence, why I said it probably won't help the OP THIS year.

FWIW, I came off of three years of long course triathlon (with short tris and xterra mixed in) and only did Xterra and a ton of mountain biking last year. Swimming was the least it's been in 5 years (I am MOP swim on a good day). I like swimming for its recovery benefits as much as its aerobic beni's. Running volume dropped significantly, but intensity picked up. I mountain biked a ton with some road rides sprinkled in. Had the best year yet. Ran off the bike better than ever. I attribute most of the success to mountain biking a ton even though I have always biked a ton. Specificity....if you want to keep or build your aerobic base on the bike you are going to have to ride a lot.