mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Worth upgrading?

Recently bought a '06 trek fuel 90 and am considering maybe entering a couple of races. The bike feels a bit heavy as it is and was wondering is it worth upgrading the forks, components etc or would i be better off selling the bike and looking for something lighter?

EGGROLL!!!
    I wouldn't bother. Enter a few races with that bike, see how you do, how much you enjoy racing and then think about upgrading if you really want. When you're in your first race, how you finish depends much more on you than it does the bike - a new bike won't change things that much at this point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I second that. Your bike is more than able to handle racing, and "heavy" is a bit subjective. Even losing 2-3 lbs off of your bike is not going to affect things much.

Losing 2-3 lbs off your body though, now that is another story The closer you can get to being mean & lean, the better, and, the faster.

banned
    Someone once said it's not about the bike, it's about the racer behind the bike...
    I think that was me that said that.. hehe

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Fair comment, can anyone recommend a websit that specifies in training for mountain biking? I was considering trying the 'mtb strength coach', can anyone recommend this for xc?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Check out trainingpeaks.com. They offer self-coached plans, as well as coaching services. I coach through them, so PM me if you are interested in a custom plan tailored to your goals and schedule.

Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0