mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Worth building up? - Old Klein Attitude Race frame

A buddy of mine most generously gave me a circa early '90s Klein Attitude Race (with a Mavic Crossland wheel, simple V-brake, front derailer). The frame is in good physical shape, if a little scratched and blemished in a few places. Otherwise it seems light and I figured it would make a good light XC hardtail build-up. Best of all, it was free! I've already started gathering a few needed components.

And feedback on this frame? Good race XC frame? I assume this is worth building up, right?

PS: And yes, I got rid of the stickers already!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Actually that is a late 90s, early 2000s Klein Attitude frame. I had the exact same one -- I think a 2000. Regardless, it is a killer race bike -- great climber, light, super stiff and snappy as all get out. I occassionaly wish I still had mine. I think I had it built to 22-23 lbs without any exotic parts. It will punish you on the dowhill, though. You still see a handful of them being raced here in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Go for it I have a built Klein just like it. Can be a 22 lbs bike without much thought, but I still prefer my Ellsworth Truth, i'm getting old.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    ...and with those rear facing dropouts making it a singlespeed is a cinch!

climb-descend

Old School Kleins

They redifined handling and stiffness. I rode my MC2 rigid with a Thudbuster and a good UST setup for several years. If your back can take the abuse go for it! On smooth and semi-smooth singletrack they are a blast.

Kleins all eventually crack - some sooner than later. My first one lasted almost one year, the second one nearly three, and my most recent one has been going strong for 5+, but than again it is used primarily for commuting and fire roads. If this one is 7+ years old and has seen some good times you may not be riding it very long.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    ...and with those rear facing dropouts making it a singlespeed is a cinch!
    Amen to that, brother !!!
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a 92 attitude in a box at the bike shop. Missing adaptors for the MCStem and fork.
    Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Definitely worth building up. 33x16 is a magic gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by belfast boy View Post
    I have a 92 attitude in a box at the bike shop. Missing adaptors for the MCStem and fork.
    Any ideas?
    I have a 96 headset and reducers but the top bearing is shot. I also have a Reset Racing headset which is sweet, but heavy.

I would check out Reset Racing if you want to get the bike rolling.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Those are sweet bikes. Dont know if it would be my Numero Uno race bike frame but if you are in a pinch, itll be great
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out asap!