Thread: the worst hour

mtbr member

the worst hour

Been doing allot of base training and wondering what you guys feel is the worst hour of a long ride. For example a 4 hour ride the 1st hour sucks as iam not warm yet but the start of the 3rd hour seems like iam in limbo and will never finish. Now iam talking about only training rides not out for fun but logging hours, sorta you have to do this type of ride.

AZ
    banned
    Sounds like your on the bike too much , not supposed to be the Battan Death March . Just sayin .

mtbr member
    some days are better than others, on a steady schedule some days u dont feel like training thats where this is relevant. Dont like missing days unless i feel fatigued, but some days mentally its harder.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I always go through a rough spot at 2hr and 20 minutes into a ride. Usually it lasts about 10 minutes and then I feel good again.

It has been that way for years, I don't know why. Probably has to do with stored glycogen.

mtbr member
    I have to work really hard to get every training ride. I just enjoy the whole thing when I do. On my 1 hour commute on 100+ degree days, about 8 miles in feels like the heat is closing in on me. On the last 1.5 miles I feel pretty rough since I don't cool down very well.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Same

Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    I always go through a rough spot at 2hr and 20 minutes into a ride. Usually it lasts about 10 minutes and then I feel good again.

It has been that way for years, I don't know why. Probably has to do with stored glycogen.

Same deal for me. I always attributed it to the glycogen supply cycle. Around 2:15 to 2:45 I start to fade. Around 3 hours I get my second wind and feel fresh again until around 6. Then it's another rough 45 min until my body gets used to whatever stupid thing I'm doing to it.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mine is the hour before riding.. munchies, might feel fatigued, it might be 7am, sub freezing with howling wind and a 4hr ride on the schedule. Definitely the hardest part of every ride is getting the shorts on!

Once on the bike, I don't like the first 15min.. but then as things get going, the hours click by, and that last hour may be fugly, but its always my favorite.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The worst is rolling out on a cold morning, i am miserable until i get the blood flowing and I am not freezing. After that its all good.

mtbr member
    I've been doing some long base rides as well lately. As long as I fuel well, it seems to go good.

Pre-ride: Eggs and oatmeal
    Ride: Two bottles, one with strongly mixed accelerade; and a cliff bar.

This past Saturday, at about 2 hrs, I was worried about finishing the 3 hour ride. But the mental adrenalin kicks in the last hour, because I know it's just an hour left.

Haven't dealt with 4 hour rides yet this training cycle, but they are coming. I imagine it will suck having the 2 hour "minibonk", and realizing you're only half-way through.

Another thing, it's funny how 170 Watts feels so easy at the beginning, and feels so, so hard at the end of 3 hours.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    hour 5, but I almost never do rides over 2 hours unless I'm doing the high end of my tempo pace.

This was my ride from friday: 271 watt average for 4:56, first 2.5 hours was at 300

mtbr member
    I would go easier in the first hour.

Road rides will go off at a crawl for at least 30 minutes, then it will become a hellstorm of fury.

Make sure to pick easier routes. I hate wall climbs before I am warmed up.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd say it's the hour when I'm still on the wrong side of Lake Washington and it starts raining.

OP, how long are your races?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx