www.EpicCyclist.com

World Cup and 27.5"

I'm a bit confused on this after the South Africa Champs. Nino was dominating that's obvious, but it's where he was dominating. I know he's really strong on the technical sections but on that course it was more point and let her rip type sections not so much twisty and tight high skill lines. Exactly where a 29er should be a lot better. Even riders like Fontana did not seem as relaxed there. Are 27.5" wheels really that good??? Or is there something I'm missing.

Formerly of Kent
    Perhaps it's the Indian, not the arrow.

He's far and away the best bike handler in the XC WC. And makes the other guys work harder the entire race to catch him after each technical section.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Schurter is just THAT good, even better than guys like Fontana, etc. It also doesn't hurt that he's super strong in the fitness aspect as well. These two play back into each other in sort of a feedback loop, because when you're confident and fast on technical sections, you recover a little more and keep your rhythm from pedalling-oriented sections, and when you're stronger on those sections, you come into the techy parts fresher, which makes you (you guessed it) smoother and faster in those sections.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Agreed. I don't think it matters so much what he is riding...26" to 29", he still dominates in my opinion...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Agree... Absalon took the 6th with 3 broken ribs and riding 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjabiker View Post
    Agree... Absalon took the 6th with 3 broken ribs and riding 29er.
    and didnt he win riding a 26er in La Bresse just last year?

mtbr member

Re: World Cup and 27.5"

Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    and didnt he win riding a 26er in La Bresse just last year?
    And in Mont St Anne this year on a 29er. He and Nino dominate on any wheel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    According to Thomas Frischknecht Nino's #1 reason for going 650b was because he could keep the aggressive position he prefers, and couldn't achieve on a 29er, while realizing some of the big wheel benefits of a 29er.

The middle size really is that good... for the right rider and right bike in the right conditions.... the same could be said of the other sizes too. Only way to know for sure is to try one yourself... personally, I've been tooting the 650b horn for a few years now, and I wouldn't trade my 5" travel 650b trail bike, but for a xc race bike I'd still run a 29er... I'm 6' tall though... the calculus is probably different if you're 5'6"

mtbr member
    Can't stand when people say the bike has nothing to do with it. The bike has something to do with it.

27.5 is hedging your bets, not that that's bad. It's just not a risk taken for a clear advantage. It's agreeing with a little bit of both sides of the argument.

The thing is, only one side may be correct. It isn't hard to see in local and regional amateur races that once a racer finally upgrades to a 29er, he gets significantly faster. Happens all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Perhaps it's the Indian, not the arrow.
    I love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Can't stand when people say the bike has nothing to do with it. The bike has something to do with it.

27.5 is hedging your bets, not that that's bad. It's just not a risk taken for a clear advantage. It's agreeing with a little bit of both sides of the argument.

The thing is, only one side may be correct. It isn't hard to see in local and regional amateur races that once a racer finally upgrades to a 29er, he gets significantly faster. Happens all the time.
    Ive noticed the same thing, but always wondered to myself.. is it the change in wheel size alone? Many times, the rider upgrading to a 29er is doing so going from a heavier less efficient bike to efficient lighter one....

unfortunately ive never seen anyone go from a race ready 26er hardtail to a race ready 29er hardtail (or 27.5 so no one feels left out) and been able to compare their results.

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong. I think the bike is a big factor. Just love that saying.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post

Actually, I haven't seen this. The differences, advantages/disadvantages of all the wheel sizes, at least in my experience don't make a big difference in racers results.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Actually, I haven't seen this. The differences, advantages/disadvantages of all the wheel sizes, at least in my experience don't make a big difference in racers results.
    Same here. What I HAVE seen, however, is riders going from FS 26 to HT 29, saving very little (if any) weight in the process, and being more beat up after races (though still finishing relatively as well, at least in shorter races).

Most of the examples of racers getting faster when switching can be easily explained by the timing of the "upgrade". Most folks buy a new bike near the start of a new season. A productive offseason (and, of course, an extra year of racing under the belt) means a faster racer, on any bike.

FWIW, I am turning faster times on all trails after a switch from 29" HT to 27.5" FS (with both bikes at similar weights, +/- 1 lbs.). Of course, I've had an extra year of training, too

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    Same here. What I HAVE seen, however, is riders going from FS 26 to HT 29, saving very little (if any) weight in the process, and being more beat up after races (though still finishing relatively as well, at least in shorter races).

Most of the examples of racers getting faster when switching can be easily explained by the timing of the "upgrade". Most folks buy a new bike near the start of a new season. A productive offseason (and, of course, an extra year of racing under the belt) means a faster racer, on any bike.

FWIW, I am turning faster times on all trails after a switch from 29" HT to 27.5" FS (with both bikes at similar weights, +/- 1 lbs.). Of course, I've had an extra year of training, too
    Trod-
    What 27.5 FS are you currently racing on? Do you like the frame or are you eyeing another one now? I am currently just starting my research and have my eye in the Anthem 27.5 and the Scott Spark 27.5, but don't really know much about either.

Maybe there are other options that I am missing too?

Crap...sorry for the derail. Maybe PM me. Thanks.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Trod-
    What 27.5 FS are you currently racing on? Do you like the frame or are you eyeing another one now? I am currently just starting my research and have my eye in the Anthem 27.5 and the Scott Spark 27.5, but don't really know much about either.

Maybe there are other options that I am missing too?

Crap...sorry for the derail. Maybe PM me. Thanks.
    No worries. Blur XC carbon. I will likely be on an Anthem Advanced next season simply because of sponsorship reasons (not that I have any reluctance to race the Anthem; on the contrary I think it will rock). If not for that, however, I could happily race this bike indefinitely. It's a freaking blast to ride, and begs me to go faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails World Cup and 27.5"-image.jpg