FAT CHANCE!

Workout plyometrics

I am looking for some nice easy to follow pictures or diagrams of some cycling related plyometrics exercise and other workouts that can be done to help for power and core strength over the winter months. I am not looking to do much weight training at all just simple no weight or small (5-20 lbs) weight workouts and resistance workouts. But what I need is something I could carry with me with in a notebook of the illustration of the workout right there to follow as I do them. Any help would be great! thanks in advance. PM me if you can email me something too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    try exrx.net

For plyo's box jumps and depth jumps are best. You should also look into kettelbel work for your core. It's gotten trendy, so be careful with the google or you'll get some Miami fitness trainer trying to seduce you. check out crossfit.com and find their workouts... I think that should help.

mtbr member
    Buy or download P90X. There's an hour of plyo and at least an hour of core work. You don't need a lot of weight for any of the workouts. If you don't want to do that Google or YouTube "plyometrics" and you'll find all kinds of moves.

Edit: I just did Plyo Legs from Tony Horton's One On One workout series. It was very hard. I'm sure I'll be feeling that later today.
    Last edited by limba; 09-22-2009 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    The p90x plyo workout is the only thing that still gets my legs really sore. Depending on how hard I go I feel it for up to 4 days after. Don't know if it's actually doing any good, but it hurts so I gotta assume it's doing something.

mtbr member
    P90X plyo is great. I try to keep up with or beat Dominic at everything. This 1on1 workout was hard. There's one called Bun Shaper(don't laugh) that's tough too.

mtbr member
    I like this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...llenncyclingll It includes some cycling specific exercises.
    -

Addictive website!

TwoWheelTweets.com

All of cycling's twitter tweets in one place!

-

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Check out James Wilson's info at bikejames.com . He is the first and only strength trainer (that I have met) who has applied sound strength training principles to mountain biking. Remember, technique is very important and many of the fad workout programs focus more on getting the workout in than solid technique, James as a lot of free info on his site that will help you understand the value of a solid strength training program.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    Email me and I will set up a program for you free
    www.xfactorperformance.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cattledog04

Is that offer open to other members, I checked out your site before, Loved the idea, just broke right now...

mtbr member
    I'll take a free workout if you're giving them away. Just post it here for anyone that's interested.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cattledog04

Couldnt find the portal to the free program , mind posting it for everyone ?

mtbr member
    Top right corner has a tab that leads you to the workouts and nutrition stuff. I'm in the process of building the workouts, but the nutrition is all done. If you have specific questions email me and I would be happy to help. I don't want to post any specific workouts at this moment just because each person has different issues. My email is: rob@xfactorperformance.net

livin' the dream......
    +1 for the p90x plyo. I have trouble committing to the whole 6x per week with the full p90x deal, but I like the plyo and chest/shoulders & arms. I just need to step away from the computer and go do it..............

also, I went running for 30 minutes two days ago and my quads still feel like I was beaten with a bat. Anyone have suggestions on how to avoid this ( I stretched, did not run too hard, cooled down but did not take any type of recovery drink).

I committed to a half marathon in January, so I have to give this an honest shot.
    I was too drunk and too much in pain to ride. Good times. - TacoBeer

mtbr member
    If it was your first time running in a long time don't worry about. Everyone feels crappy the first time they try something new. Each run you do the pain will lessen. You might want to look for some kind of training program online. I wouldn't increase your time/distance until you feel good after a workout. Once your body adapts then go a little further.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    If it was your first time running in a long time don't worry about. Everyone feels crappy the first time they try something new. Each run you do the pain will lessen. You might want to look for some kind of training program online. I wouldn't increase your time/distance until you feel good after a workout. Once your body adapts then go a little further.

I am going to give it a shot again tomorrow, and mix in some more walking. I did find an online running guide that suggested this is a good way to start back up. It's been years since I ran/raced with any level of seriousness, sucks starting up something I was not bad at when I was in my teens/twenties!

Thanks!
    I was too drunk and too much in pain to ride. Good times. - TacoBeer

mtbr member
    Yes! Your brain thinks you're fit and can still go go go but your body says no no no.
    I'm sure by the fourth run you'll feel better. Just make sure you stretch afterwards.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterRide
    Check out James Wilson's info at bikejames.com . He is the first and only strength trainer (that I have met) who has applied sound strength training principles to mountain biking. Remember, technique is very important and many of the fad workout programs focus more on getting the workout in than solid technique, James as a lot of free info on his site that will help you understand the value of a solid strength training program.

Have you done any of James's workouts? How are they different. I saw the 12 week/2.5 hours a week program and wonder if you might know of this program and what it does?

thanks

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    also, I went running for 30 minutes two days ago and my quads still feel like I was beaten with a bat. Anyone have suggestions on how to avoid this ( I stretched, did not run too hard, cooled down but did not take any type of recovery drink).

I committed to a half marathon in January, so I have to give this an honest shot.
    It happens to everyone.

I ran for my school's track team, during freshman year of college, so I was pretty quick on my feet, and every time I've gone for a run since then it has felt incredibly awkward. Very sore the next day in the calves and hamstrings.

And I have no physiological or medical problems; it's just an activity that my body is not accustomed to anymore, despite the fact that I used to rattle off 70-80 mile weeks regularly Like anything else, if you give it time, your body will stop being so sore as it adapts to the challenges presented to it.

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley
    Have you done any of James's workouts? How are they different. I saw the 12 week/2.5 hours a week program and wonder if you might know of this program and what it does?

thanks
    Yes, I have done two different workout programs from James. I believe the 2.5 hour a week workout you mention is his dumbbell workout program which is great if you are time pressed. I use it when I am on the road. Is ultimate mtb workout is much more detailed so it really depends on your goals and how much time you have. I this workout when I am home.

Why do I recommend James? I have been coaching for 19 years now (between snowboarding and mtb) and have taken a lot of coaching clinics from USA Cycling and USA Skiing and Snowboarding and James has better programs. James is the first trainer that has applied sound strength training principals to mtbing. James really focuses on mobility and technique which leads to better athletic performance than the typical body building applied to cycling methods many bike coaches use.

As for me I still race pro downhill at 43 and usually manage to beat about half the field. Tomorrow I am doing my first motocross race. I don't think my body would be able to perform as well nor but up with the abuse I put it through without James' workouts.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net