mtbr member

Witch frame for next year?

I'm selling my full suspension for about $500. I want to get a carbon frame. I have an older 17in Giant XTC that I'm riding now. So I am picking between the 2 price point frames.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/191...tain-Frame.htm

The Phantom is a 17" has a 70.8 head angle. The Impulse is a 18" with a head angle of 71. From looking at the Geometry of both of them i think i can ride ether one. The top tube on my XTC is 22", the impulse 22.64" and the Phantom is 23.23". Witch one would be better with a 100MM fork? I'm kind of leaning to the Impulse because whille i love my XTC i think the steep head angle helps make it feel a little scary in the really technical stuff we have in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    .2 degree HTA change won't mean much

the longer TT will though. .6" longer TT will force you to run a shorter stem to have the same reach. this will effectively make your steering faster. not what you seem to be after.

mtbr member
    Yes I'm looking to slow the handling down a bit. My XTC has a 68 degree head angle with an 80mm fork. I'm trying to figure out if 71 with a 100mm fork will be too much. The effective top tube length is really close to what i have now. I would be looking at other frames but i just cant afford most of the other carbon frames out there.

Can't feel my legs
    Halloween is the perfect time of year for a Witch frame

mtbr member
    Lol stupid english language

mtbr member
    I am really serious about getting one of the 2 frames. I feel a little better about price point over ebay at lest i would have a warranty.

mtbr member
    Lots of people have the phantom frame http://www.sette-experience.proboard...play&thread=52
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Get a Litespeed or Merlin

mtbr member
    Yea wish I could afford one.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Yes I'm looking to slow the handling down a bit. My XTC has a 68 degree head angle with an 80mm fork.
    Really?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

either...

while i agree the difference in tt length is a factor, i think either will be a nice upgrade. just throw on a shorter/riser stem or a riser handlebar and i'm sure you will be plenty upright to tackle those trails.

if you're switching from full susp to hardtail, you're going for a climbing/single track machine. but if you really want some more all-mountain features, the above mods and even getting a 120mm fork will slow things down...

jksu

Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    I'm selling my full suspension for about $500. I want to get a carbon frame. I have an older 17in Giant XTC that I'm riding now. So I am picking between the 2 price point frames.

The Phantom is a 17" has a 70.8 head angle. The Impulse is a 18" with a head angle of 71. From looking at the Geometry of both of them i think i can ride ether one. The top tube on my XTC is 22", the impulse 22.64" and the Phantom is 23.23". Witch one would be better with a 100MM fork? I'm kind of leaning to the Impulse because whille i love my XTC i think the steep head angle helps make it feel a little scary in the really technical stuff we have in Colorado.
    ride:: ti hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've been looking at the Phantom vs. a Pedalforce. The Phantom wheelbase is an inch longer than the Pedalforce (in 21inch frame) and 3cm longer toptube. This is mostly front end length (the Phantom has shorter chainstays by .5cm). Is the longer wheelbase a good thing?

mtbr member
    I dont kno if it applies to bikes but one would think a longer wheel base would equal a more stable feeling bike, perhaps thats not true about bikes.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I didn't know witches made bike frames. I am familiar with their flying brooms however.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The longer wheel base helps over rocky sections of the track it glides over them better then a short wheel base, but then a long wheel base is slower in Realy tight single track

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have the Sette Phantom and my brother has the Impulse. Both very nice bikes. They both seem to handle great. But the Phantom is quite a bit lighter

mtbr member
    im digging the 2010 motobecane team fly ti

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    get another giant. Why leave a life time warranty on the frame.