Thread: Winter plan....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Winter plan....

Ok i am a top of the second tier Cat 2 or sport rider....meaning I'm never able to finish in the top 15 but am always in the top 25. I am very motivated to really progress this winter and beginning of next season and will likely be moving up to Cat 2 Comp next year.

I am looking at different paid training programs and was wondering what people thought of them. I like the idea of regimented and structured training (keeps me honest)

I live in a snow state and have snow bike but that requires real dedication to do (getting dressed, drive to trail, setup lights, etc) I am also a member of a gym and will be buying a trainer. I don't feel ready for a coach yet, and also don't want to spend the $ on that. Do you guys do strength training or spinning or trainer or you name it?? I'm assuming some combo of the above is the best.

Advice would be great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I highly recommend the Mountain Biker's training bible. Best thing you can do besides get a coach is get this book, read it, and let it walk you through setting up a plan for yourself.

Link:

Amazon.com: The Mountain Biker's Training Bible (9781884737718): Joe Friel: Books

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    I highly recommend the Mountain Biker's training bible. Best thing you can do besides get a coach is get this book, read it, and let it walk you through setting up a plan for yourself.
    Ok, I'm sold...going to pick it up after work at BN...thanks

Any additional advice...do's or dont's...what has worked for you??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

In winter I ...

Ride the trainer on the week nights and the best investment i ever made for training are my XC ski's.After starting with classic style i also got skate ski's. First i go out with the skate ski's and change over to classic.The skating is like intervals and the classic is like tempo.Do that all winter and you'll fly in the spring.

mtbr member
    Don't get a trainer, buy rollers, they teach you how to be a dart(keep you in a straight line) and make you sweat more(you are balancing). Also depending on your roller, some have resistance. other then that you should do cross country skiing, it does wonders on your cardio and it also works the legs really really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i like a tacx flow ergo trainer, it allows you to set a load and ride against it for a set period. the next ride you set the load higher or ride longer, if you can't turn the pedals, the bike just bogs and stops. It's really a great tool because you can chart your gains.

for winter do a lot of longer intervals and tempo pace stuff. I don't use a trainer for endurance pace very often, I ride rollers for that or generally just ride outside in the snow or xc ski or run.

Just twiddling along on the trainer without a plan is dull and doesn't do much for you

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know this isn't intended as a trainer/roller debate, but I love my trainer. Let's me ride while reading a book, doing homework, watching TV, eating dinner, and annoying my wife all at once!

But really, it easily doubles my hours on a bike. My wife knows how much I love biking and she's fine with me sitting on the trainer if it means I'm at least still at the house with her. Set it up in the living room and I suffer through her trashy TV shows with her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post

Link:

Amazon.com: The Mountain Biker's Training Bible (9781884737718): Joe Friel: Books
    ^^ Just ordered off Amazon for $13.00.

Thank you!!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    I believe I have my winter training down pretty good.
    -10-13 hours a week doing aerobic base work (usually get half those hours on the weekend)
    -RB with rollers, XC ski, & snowshoe
    -Get outside and ride when itís bearable
    -Weightlifting or crossfit twice a week
    -Core Work & Stretching 2-3 times a week

Do this from November through January best I can. Builds the Aerobic engine and keeps the weight from exploding. In February, do mostly bike only, and start building for the first race in March.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/