mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Winter park series

I'm going to start racing this year and planning on racing the entire winter park series but i'm not a very experienced racer just some fun races with my brother but i consider myself a average climber a good downhiller and really fast on flatter/rolling singletrack. Since ill be in the junior class i havnt decided which class to race in. I'm training hard but was wondering if anyone had any advice specific to this series. Also how hard is it to get sponsored as a xc racer. I'm thinking i'm going to start out with my first race in beginer to see where i finish and then maybe bumping up, but my only problem with that is will i still be able to be competitive in the points championship,(if there even is one in that circut).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't know where you ride but the courses are a lot less technical than what I ride in Larimer county, CO. My average speed at the winter park races (sans the hill climb) were about 40-50% faster than my normal ride speed here (with 1 exception).

My best advice to you is start in beginner, finish the series in beginner unless you just blow everyone away (probably not, there are really fast guys in every class).

As far as training goes, if you don't have a road bike, find a long climb on your mountain bike, something 15-30 minutes long and time yourself, then do the climb at least once a week (long internval) at like 90% or more effort and see how you improve from week to week or every other week, I don't push myself every week but I do try to do a hard effort and almost always improve my time from time trial to time trial, remember winter park base is at 9000ft, and it DOES kick your a$$. I thought my lungs were going to explode the first race last year.

Good luck, I'll see you there

mtbr member

You'll do better

than you think you would. However You might want to perhaps get in a race before you start a run a point series. You will learn the most from your first 3 races as far as what you can and can't do.

There are a whole bunch of races coming up in the next month. I made a massive list of races in and around colorado a few weeks ago. Take a look at that. Try to attend a few of the early season races and gather information on how you race, others race, and enjoy the scene.

The Winter park series is fantastic. I've been doing it the last 4 years. It keeps your summers busy and everyone that I've ever talked with has had nothing but good things to say about the series.

Good luck and welcome to what you will be obsessing about for quite some time!

Members who have read this thread: 0