mtbr member

winter cross traning

Im looking for good winter cross training. Now that I live in Colorado and there is snow up high all the time in the winter im thinking about trying snow shooing or XC skiing. I can mountain bike year round here but im looking for some other ways to mix it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Im looking for good winter cross training. Now that I live in Colorado and there is snow up high all the time in the winter im thinking about trying snow shooing or XC skiing. I can mountain bike year round here but im looking for some other ways to mix it up.
    I live on the Utah Wasatch Front, so we have similar situations.

The winter sports I do are XC skiing, backcountry snowboarding, and snowshoeing. These are all real good workouts and great cross training for cycling. I'm real suprised how many cycle racers do these winter activities.

XC Skiing Pros: Can do by yourself, no avalanche worries, equipment is relatively cheap (400 bucks or so), and most xc courses are free to use. Cons: Addictive, some cyclist I know now use cycling as the off season; low adventure factor, a little tricky to learn, and long drive to some XC courses.

Snow Shoeing Pros: Equipment is cheap (200-400 bucks), high adventure factor, really nothing to learn, and more places where you can do it. Cons: Marching down hill when you could be sliding instead, and need some avalanche awareness and readiness.

Backcountry Skiing/Snowboarding Pros: Very high adventure and fun factor. Cons: Good avalanche knowledge/skills required, equipment is expensive, and good sliding skills needed. High pain tolerance needed as well. Seems more uncomfortable than snowshoeing because of equipment changes that need to be done in volatile environments.

Check out one of my friend's website: www.foothillfreak.com
    He's got a lot of cool skiing that he's done in the Wasatch Backcountry.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 11-20-2006 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool thanx man. I really want to try snowboring but its seems like its really expensive and im a good 2 hours from a ski mountian. And i have herd about the I70 traffic out of denver dosent sound like fun. Right now i im thinking snow shooing because im only an hour from Rockey Mountain Nat. Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Cool thanx man. I really want to try snowboring but its seems like its really expensive and im a good 2 hours from a ski mountian. And i have herd about the I70 traffic out of denver dosent sound like fun. Right now i im thinking snow shooing because im only an hour from Rockey Mountain Nat. Park.
    If you're in it for the workout, snowshoeing is definitely the way to go. Snow shoes and poles is all you need.

www.backcountry.com
    is a good place to get your stuff. I got my beacon, probes, backpack, and shovel there in a package deal for 350 bucks.

I'm also a big fan of www.altrec.com since they charge no shipping and have a paid return label if stuff doesn't fit.

Members who have read this thread: 0