Thread: winning money $

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

winning money $

I race for a team who sponsors a few races I do. This sponsor pays for my entry fee into their own races. We have a cat1/pro class and then cat1 age groups. It costs ten bucks more to race the cat1/pro class because they payout 40% of the entry fees to this class...so they say! I got third in this cash class and they said I do not get any money because they hosted the event. I disagree. I could care less, really, about the money other than the act of paying out in front of the crowd, and to the youth. I think cash can be a motivator for some and it certainly gets a kids attention. I do not need the sponsorship, but did like what the team represented in the sense of giving back to the community in the form of bike racing events. This is required by all members as well as trail maintenance and construction tasks.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Do you have some type of written agreement that addresses this? If not I can kinda see that they since they paid your entry fee that they want to keep the winnings. I agree that it's crappy though.

FasCat Coaching
    If the team sponsored the race and comped your entry fee and you accepted, it's fairly traditional to not accept any cash winnings in exchange. If you want the cash, then pay your entry fee and your entry fee for all races the team sponsors. You can't in all fairness tell them you'll pay for the races where you win money and they'll pay for the ones you don't. Think of any money won as donation to the team to continue their growth and giving back, rather than as you losing money.
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I didn't argue with them at all and I do not have a problem with paying for my races. I joined due to what they say they promote as a team. I guess that I am struggling with the lack of theatrics of a pro class pay out. I didn't loose any money from my point of view, nor was I counting on it, but I do see it as an incentive for fast juniors to use as motivation. Thanks for the input.
    Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Interesting topic. Does the team have the same policy for racers in non money classes? No swag.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No. All others got swag and podium trinkets. They let me keep my trinket.
    Huge raffle too, and I believe team members were able to keep their raffle prizes.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Makes no sense to me.

I don't see why you having your entry fee comp'd means you are disqualified from winnings. Its a great benefit that your team pays any entry fees I have payed the fee for every race I have ever done except when I was a teen and mom and dad picked it up. If I had won $20 dollars in one of those races and Mom and dad said they should be able to keep my 20 dollars I would have thrown a fit. I don't think I would make an issue out of it, but in my opinion you won the money regardless of where the entry fee come from. The entry fee is only a small portion of the cost to participate in the event. Equipment, Travel, Training time, Bike racks for vehicles, days off work, etc. You have made a major investment in racing to be able to podium in cat 1 races. The reason these races payout is to allow the people who have made such a major investment in racing be able to offset some of the cost. You paid to race entry fee or not.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking. I drove 4 hours to race the race and probably spent at least 120 bucks between gas, food, and beer. It would have likely been about 30 bucks, nothing to squabble over other than beer money. Anyway, lesson learned.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure what the lesson is. Make sure you do everything 100% by yourself all the time because if anyone offers you help they get to keep anything you earn if you are lucky/dedicated enough to become successful.

PM me

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

winning money $

Yea, I can see an issue here. Lets say they comped you a 50.00 race entry fee, Abd you win 100.00. I can see them withholding 50.00 and giving you the rest.

Many years ago I raced on a team and the rule was if they paid for the race, anything won went into a team kitty for additional race fees. Prizes went into the same kitty and there were drawings at the end of the year. You got a ticket for each race, so if you did 5 races and I did 20, you had five chances to win and I had 20.

It worked well to keep all of us working together to win as much as possible. Some of the best road racing I ever did, cause when every one actually acted like a team, winning was almost too easy.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like your team had an agreement. In this case it does not appear that there was a meeting of the mind about prize money. The team cannot decide to keep money that you won. I don't think its worth *****ing about but if decided to sue them you could force them to perform on the agreement (ie 3rd place get X% of total entry fees). They are in violation of the rules they put in place.

PM me

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wish I was fast enough to have your problem. How about not complaining when you end up on the podium?

Bro Mountainbiker
    HA! No matter where you are in life, you will always find something to complain about.

True Story Bra.

Not saying he doesnt have grounds to complain. I personally like keeping money I win....
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well sbs, I didn't think I was complaining. I thought that maybe I was being short sighted and missing something, so I asked for opinions. I got yours and I cannot tell you how much insight you have given me .... Thank you. You are not only ridiculously intelligent but intuitive too. Damn, I wish you would have answered first. Now I just wish I could figure out how to race against you. You know, to get some of those brains to rub off on me. Thanks again for taking the time. Now we are both dumber!
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What was the agreement you entered into when you accepted the sponsorship?, does it spell out that they don't pay back sponsored riders at races they sponsor? That would make sense to me( I sponsored a team for 6 years and this year I have a small team running)What other perks does this sponsorship offer? Bike, gear, team kits, lodging, mechanical assistance? If you get any or all of it, consider yourself lucky and don't worry/ argue the point, just make money or prizes at the races your team doesn't sponsor and get on with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by butryon View Post
    Well sbs, I didn't think I was complaining. I thought that maybe I was being short sighted and missing something, so I asked for opinions. I got yours and I cannot tell you how much insight you have given me .... Thank you. You are not only ridiculously intelligent but intuitive too. Damn, I wish you would have answered first. Now I just wish I could figure out how to race against you. You know, to get some of those brains to rub off on me. Thanks again for taking the time. Now we are both dumber!
    Growler64. Open class. Come on down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    "If I had won $20 dollars in one of those races and Mom and dad said they should be able to keep my 20 dollars I would have thrown a fit."
    My dad would have said; "great, now you can pay for your next race yourself!"

Last time I won money, it was $20 and I used it for gas to get back home (I could have borrowed some $$, I wouldn't have been stranded, I just planned poorly for the travel expenses on that one), -that was for a 2nd in expert/pro, cheap payout at that event, I got a cool handmade trophy coffee mug too, I still have that.

I'd be surprised if they don't have this in writing, surely you can't be the first one of their racers to get into the money at one of their events? Since it costs extra to get into pro, and they paid the extra $10 for you... did they really want you in that class?, it's kind of like having a winner on their team so they don't have to pay out as much pro cash. If all the cash spots were taken by your and your teammates, they wouldn't have had to payout any cash. Ask if you can keep the cash winnings if you pay your own entry for the next one, just to be clear on the rules.

mtbr member
    If you don't get to keep your prize money then you should....Stop 5 feet short of the finishline and let enough people pass you to put you out of the money. That way you know where would have finished, that would avoid awkward prize money situation and I bet your team would be so happy! Kidding...
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Oh, I wish I could. The race is full, both half and full versions. Be tough to get a top 15 there. Breck Epic maybe!
    ATV = fat A$$