ups and downs

Windham World Cup in Trouble?

US World Cup MTB races just seem to be cursed...

November 19/09 15:33 pm - Windham World Cup in Trouble?

It is beginning to look like the 2010 World Cup Final, that is scheduled for Windham, New York may be in difficulty. The event - a triple for cross-country, downhill, and 4-Cross - is scheduled to take place a week before the world championships in Mont Ste anne, Quebec. Rumours have been circulating that the organizers have been having difficulty raising the necessary sponsorship in the current economic climate. The UCI will only say that they are discussing the possibility of the World Cup in Windham and will announce a final decision December 1st.

If Windham does not go, it could mean a reduction of series to five events in each discipline, and that all events would take place in Europe. Another possible option would be a return to Bromont, Quebec.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

LA CHÈVRE
    Bromont Bromont Bromont!

Sorry, it's my neck of the woods! And it would be nice to see a race there without the deluge and constant raining it had all summer long this year... if that can happen.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

AZ
    banned
    I say move it to Canadia , The economic conditions are not going to improve here for quite some time it appears .

I like to ride my bike.
    Windham is only three hours from my house...No!!! I also heard a rumor about this.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    this is horrible news. a terrible blow to the racers here in the US that hoped to get a race on home soil.

wonder if this is related to why USAC hasn't released a calendar yet (almost a month later than last year). they can't complain, they had record participation this last year...

ups and downs
    I think a big part of it must be the lack of available event sponsorship money in the US. Or the lack of domestic visibility of MTB racing in the US media to entice domestic sponsors.

We've had really decent World Cup coverage on TV in Canada the last half of the year, and Quebec has a big enough bike enthusiast population that the sponsors do well in Quebec with or without the rest of Canada playing along.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Quebec has a big enough bike enthusiast population that the sponsors do well in Quebec with or without the rest of Canada playing along.
    Sadly, that will be true as long as Marie-Hélène Prémont will race, people in Quebec tend to be very supportive of their athletes when they do well but quickly forget or diss them once they struggle or leave. The population that rides bike will still support the sport and it's big events but there is a huge support from people who dont ride bikes that go watch the Mont Sainte-Anne races only for Marie-Hélène and I suspect a huge chunk of those will not be there once she retires. The Sainte-Anne races have always been succesful as far as mountain bike races go though but not as much as since Marie-Hélène became one of the best in the world. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

I like to ride my bike.
    I sincerely hope USAC and the UCI can do everything they can to keep the race. I'm surprised that sponsorship is the reason. I've personally noticed that the coming year seems to have a lot more enthusiasm about sponsorship than this past season. It was downright depressing to see the lack of sponsorship last year, but the economy is showing signs of improvement and bike companies have expressed more willingness to sponsor people or events.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

ups and downs
    I'd guess that maybe 25% of the MSA crowd is just there to support Marie, as most of the crowd stays around for the men's World Cup race, unlike 2008 when the Nationals were at MSA and the crowd seemed to drop by 2/3 after the women's race was done. There were about 20 people around the podium for the men's race medals.

Bromont had a good turnout this year, and people stayed around in the rain to watch Kabush win. I expect the buzz will be pretty big for the MSA World Championships and that would carry over to Bromont if it ends up there.

Considering how well Willow Koerber did in 2009, there's some potential podium action for American gals in the World Cup, and with Katie Compton, so you'd hope there'd be more enthusiasm.

They still have a few months to sort out some sponsorship..

LA CHÈVRE
    Not much details but it looks like the Windham World Cup is a go:
    http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=17932