Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Will you be racing on different wheel size next season?

Reading a few posts down below about some Cat 1 and Elite/Pro racers having success with their 650b/27.5 when most in the area presumably on 29er FS or 29er HT. Not wanting to start a wheel-size debate. Merely curious if you're going to make a change in wheel size next season.

Maybe you moved and the region has courses which suit a smaller or larger wheel size better. Maybe you're mixing things up and want a challenge or variety. Sponsor demands you try out a new bike (Enduro or DH) with a different wheel size....

I'd rather be riding
    Slow Cat 1 in the mid atlantic. I'm on a 29 ht and will continue to stay on one. However in a perfect world I'd try out and possibility consider the addition of a 650b/29 fully as a second bike. I am 6' 2" 175lbs so I don't really have any issues getting 29ers around (and they fit me well) but I would like to try 650b just to see what it's about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    5'9" at most here. Next year I'll be racing a specialized epic, a bike that will have quite a different feel than my 26"-wheeled specialized enduro. I'm pretty excited for the move to a dedicated race bike. 29" wheels don't bother me from what I've experienced. I just feel more "in" the bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The blog in your signature doesn't work. It moved evidently.

mtbr member
    No changes, 27.5 hasn't impressed me yet. Sticking with my SS and f/s 29ers for AZ, NM, SoCal,and the odd work trip back to Ohio.

mtbr member
    Thinking about switching. I actually am finishing the season on my 26er anthem x, and thought about putting my 29er up for sale. Either that, or just selling the 29er frame, and trying a hard tail next year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am an admitted 'late adopter', - I went 29er last winter. I'm still very happy with it, I haven't ridden it in a couple of months (hammering the old training bike, and getting ready for cx). I rode it yesterday and it was very comfy and easy to get used to again (a few year old Kona Kula Deluxe 2-9).
    It would be fun to try 27.5, but I'd be more interested in carbon 29 wheels, Stans ztr355s for now which are fine. I also have an ancient Litespeed 26er, I really like that bike too, and it makes my '08 Kona feel really modern.

I intend to offset having an older bike with training steadily all through the cold damp winter, - lots of upper 30s/lower 40s and drizzle in the winter here, great riding weather. I think I will do fine in the old guys Cat1 group.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    No changes, 27.5 hasn't impressed me yet. Sticking with my SS and f/s 29ers for AZ, NM, SoCal,and the odd work trip back to Ohio.
    As in...you have tried a few 27.5 bikes are you felt there was no noticeable advantage?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not directed specifically at anyone in this thread, but it reminds me of my chat with a local pro who finishes top 20 in national events. He rides for a certain bike sponsor, and I mentioned I would not buy that bike because of this and that. He laughed and said "have you actually rode or raced the bike, or are you one of those guys who reads it on the Internet from someone you don't know in regard to their ability, body type, racing history, how they set a ride up....I did okay on this bike all year."

His "okay" was winning or making podium at many races.

mtbr member
    I ride a 26" HT and because I race only a few race a year for fun mostly I don't care to change bikes with fads or trends. My 26" HT is an older bike, but is light enough to race reasonably well and is also a fun normal trail riding bike. If I wanted a dedicated race bike then my plan would be look at any and all options. FS / HT and 26/27.5/29. The best plan would be demo all candiates on the same trail and simply time myself. Fastest bike wins. For a fun trail bike and all around bike things are more complex because it is not all about speed and the trails will be more varied.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    As in...you have tried a few 27.5 bikes are you felt there was no noticeable advantage?
    I've test ridden a Giant and an Intense on singletrack I ride at least once a week. I'd like to get the Giant into some techier stuff and see how it compares there to my Anthem 29er. So far though, it's not for me.
    I'm not saying it wouldn't be the right change for others, and I'll continue to demo stuff as the manufacturers roll through. But yeah, like I said, based on my experience so far, no changes.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    I've test ridden a Giant and an Intense on singletrack I ride at least once a week. I'd like to get the Giant into some techier stuff and see how it compares there to my Anthem 29er. So far though, it's not for me.
    I'm not saying it wouldn't be the right change for others, and I'll continue to demo stuff as the manufacturers roll through. But yeah, like I said, based on my experience so far, no changes.
    Did you test the Anthem 27.5? That is the frame I am looking to purchase and build up to my liking. If yes, then what did you think compared to your Anthem 29er in comparison?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Rode a 26" Yeti FS lastyear, 29" HT this year and think I'll get a 27.5" Anthem for next year. I'm faster on the FS, but the 29er FS bikes are too long for me at 5'6"

mtbr member
    If I sell my current bike, then I'll consider 27.5 for the next bike. Being just under 5'10" i seem perfect for one.

Seems that Giant has some good rationale behind it:
    27.5 Technology | Technology - Giant Bicycles | United States

They put all the variables in an equation, took the 1st derivative, set it equal to zero, and solved for x.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 09-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

FasCat Coaching
    Planning on building up my cracked frame flash for 29" hardtail, now that its been fixed. Working on getting a Anthem-1 27.5 for most races/technical courses to have a duallie and gonna roll my 26" Rallon for the enduro & fun stuff. Hoping that'll keep me covered for a bit. but damn if making sure i have the right spare tube in my pack wont be a pain in the ass...
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm moving to 20" wheels next year, I've heard that there's going to be an unofficial mini series of kiddie bike races in my area.

But in all seriousness, I'm staying with 26" wheels. It's what I'm used to and what I have the most fun riding, barring a miracle I'm going to be finishing near the back no matter what I ride so I might as well have as much fun as I can while doing it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Did you test the Anthem 27.5? That is the frame I am looking to purchase and build up to my liking. If yes, then what did you think compared to your Anthem 29er in comparison?
    Been racing Anthem Adv 29er this year and recently got the chance to demo a Anthem 27.5" for a weekend (two training and one race) and after that weekend I'm going to order a new Anthem for next year, and its going to be a new 29er.

I'm short, between 5.7-5.8 and the fitting on the 27.5" is better, it feels quicker the first few pedal strokes and in tight corners. But, on every test track the result speaks for the 29ers. And the fact that I hit the pedals in a lot of things when standing up and hammering. The BB is to low for riding in our terrain.

I guess the 27.5" could be a fast bike if you have relative fine trails, but with a lot of rocks and rots it was not nearly as good as the 29er. IMO.

mtbr member
    "Thinking about switching. I actually am finishing the season on my 26er anthem x, and thought about putting my 29er up for sale. Either that, or just selling the 29er frame, and trying a hard tail next year. "

Hi Andy

What do you 'not like' about about the FS 29er? I was thinking about trying that for next year, so would like to hear your thoughts since we ride similar tracks.

I have been going back and forth between the 26er anthem x and chinese carbon 29er hardtail for the last month. Track times are pretty similar, but on long rides what I notice is that the legs are more fatigued on the hardtail 29er while the arms are more fatigued on the FS 26er.
    Last edited by stevemtu; 09-20-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added quote

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 5'6" and sticking with 29er. I raced SS last year, but I'll likely go with gears next year for a change of pace. I just picked up a Pivot 429C - upgraded an Anthem X 29er alu.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Been racing Anthem Adv 29er this year and recently got the chance to demo a Anthem 27.5" for a weekend (two training and one race) and after that weekend I'm going to order a new Anthem for next year, and its going to be a new 29er.

I'm short, between 5.7-5.8 and the fitting on the 27.5" is better, it feels quicker the first few pedal strokes and in tight corners. But, on every test track the result speaks for the 29ers. And the fact that I hit the pedals in a lot of things when standing up and hammering. The BB is to low for riding in our terrain.

I guess the 27.5" could be a fast bike if you have relative fine trails, but with a lot of rocks and rots it was not nearly as good as the 29er. IMO.
    pretty similar to my experience. acceleration was better, worse at rolling through the rocky stuff. felt about the same when I picked my way through. bars felt narrower than I would want, but that's just a preference thing and solved with a quick swap. I can't recall any real issues with pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu View Post
    Hi Andy

What do you 'not like' about about the FS 29er? I was thinking about trying that for next year, so would like to hear your thoughts since we ride similar tracks.

I have been going back and forth between the 26er anthem x and chinese carbon 29er hardtail for the last month. Track times are pretty similar, but on long rides what I notice is that the legs are more fatigued on the hardtail 29er while the arms are more fatigued on the FS 26er.
    The 29er has always felt big to me, even though I fit fine on the bike. I even had a retul bike fit. But getting a hard tail frame, and swapping my parts over has been on my mind quite a bit this season. Of course, I have not rode a 27.5 bike yet, so, I could end up staying with the 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's what I did. Timed myself on the identically set up bikes in my quiver (was looking to lessen the herd and stick with a dedicated race bike). Took the average of several runs with situations as close as possible in terms of traction, temps, leg freshness.

One bike came out ahead no matter the duration or condition. The stopwatch don't lie but my seat of pants felt like I was working harder and going faster on the other bikes. Not even close.

They are for sale as we type.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    That's what I did. Timed myself on the identically set up bikes in my quiver (was looking to lessen the herd and stick with a dedicated race bike). Took the average of several runs with situations as close as possible in terms of traction, temps, leg freshness.

One bike came out ahead no matter the duration or condition. The stopwatch don't lie but my seat of pants felt like I was working harder and going faster on the other bikes. Not even close.

They are for sale as we type.
    which bike won out? always interested in other peoples experiments

Bro Mountainbiker

Will you be racing on different wheel size next season?

Nope, may go to a suspension fork over a rigid fork on my 29er though if I rave geared again.

I would kind of like a 27.5 enduro bike though... Maybe 140-150mms worth.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Built up a SC Blur XCc with 27.5 wheels late in 2011, raced it 2012 and this year. I'm not planning on switching wheel sizes, believe that the 27.5 bikes are the way to go in my region, So Cal, steep climbs, tight single track, rocky, loose dirt, etc.
    I've owned and ridden/ raced the 3 sizes, I'm 6', 165lbs, I race 50+ cat1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast