Don't Stop Spinnin'!

Will Sex/Ejaculation Before A Race affect performance?

I know many might think this is a retarded question but I have always wondered if having sex before a race; will affect a males performance due to a lack of testosterone level.

How this came to mind: My girl was walking around in some sexy undies and I got the idea that my Tanker needed an oil change... then tomorrows race came to mind... and then quickly vanished as the oil change continued. After the tanker was put away... I gave my previous question some thaught.

Where better to as this question. Guys here have been racing before I even knew mtb'ing existed... Or maybe someone in the medical field might have a scientific answer.

am I the only one that has wondered this?

Note: I used the "search" tool looking for a similar thread, and didnt find anything. (I apologize if this topic has been covered before.)

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    lower testosterone=less strength=less power. I notice a little bit more power from 2-3 weeks of abstaining. But hey, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah, i've been wondering this as well

mtbr member
    Okay, but how cute are those undies on her? It can be awfully hard to resist. If it does turn out to affect performance, my girl will be donning baggy sweatpants the week before race day. I hope this is a sticky thread.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by kranest
    Okay, but how cute are those undies on her? It can be awfully hard to resist. If it does turn out to affect performance, my girl will be donning baggy sweatpants the week before race day. I hope this is a sticky thread.

lmao... while looking at her in those undies... coming in last place really doesnt sound that bad...

HOO KOO KRAZY

define - "before a race"

Are we talking, night before?
    5 hours before...
    or (maybe) 5 minute before?

I'd abstain from the 5 minute thing for sure!
    get busy LIVIN or get busy DYIN!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    We need pictures of the girl in her sexy undies to make a proper evaluation.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i got it the night before in the series here and i discovered this. the first race i only got second. last night i got it lots and today i got first....by four minutes! i found my new favorite pre race tradition.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I tend to get a little stressed out before a race, so anything to help me relax. I've had sex a few hours before and done well for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I remember hearing that some coaches of olympic athletes say no sex within a couple of days of competition. Who knows why. With two little kids at home I'll take any sex I can get!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dude
    If you're passing up sex for the sake of race performance, then you have some soul-searching to do. It's all in your head so to speak. Get la*d and kick ass on the race course!!! It's a simple formula.

mtbr member
    "I notice a little bit more power from 2-3 weeks of abstaining"
    I'm a 53 year old who has been married to the same women for 31 years and I have got to say I have never ever gone that long. That's just crazy man, my wife would toss me and my bike if I even suggested it. Unless you getting big sponsorship checks you need to find yourself a girl with some sexy undies. If you are getting big sponsorship checks they should have found you by now. Cash the checks and get some. In your parked car just before the race might not be the best time but think of it this way. You abstain for three weeks, your break your neck in the race, you get to the pearly gates and everybodys laughing at you. I say go for it. Either that or take up racing when your 80.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I read that the pros don't have sex for weeks before the "Big Race" in France. My plan is to abstain on the night before a race and the one time I broke that rule I was whimpering, suffering puppy that came in 5th. So now I conserve that little bit of energy. As an aside, I was reading, in a bike mag, that regular coitus was best for performance because it relaxes you the most. Better than self or oral stimulation. Go figure!
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've read some more current training lit. that said sex can give you a boost in testosterone levels that would make the UCI blush. I think the "Dames make knees weak" school of thought is mythology.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I remember watching a interview with Roy Jones Jr. lightheavyweight champ, he said he would stop having sex for 7 days before his fights. I remember him saying it was a pretty big diffrence for him if he did have sex within those 7 days coming up to the fight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What makes you think abstaining boosts testosterone? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i used to kickbox one fight i had abstained for a month the next time i got some the morning of the fight didnt make a whole lot of difference for me. if your concerned try doing a very challenging ride after a week w/out sex then do it again without abstaining and then get all heavy into it with your lady and stop just before you get off. take careful note of your performance. i know the third one sounds weird but try it out you'll find yourself more aggressive in this state. the first two dont really make a difference for me but the third one does. I hope this is not too much info just tryin to help.

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Wow....... some very strange concerns here.

...... laying pipe in the morning b4 a ride never slowed this steed down. Then again, I'm NOT a racer, just a pacer........!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DSB not condusive to race focus.

Abstaining for 3 weeks before a race would have me adjusting my seat a bit lower due to a DSB. Bump, tap, ouch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i don't think it's the act itself that makes weak legs so much as the act of chasing it around.
    If you're out on the town til 2 am wookin por nub, you're gonna suffer. If you're chilling at home, that's another story.
    Wearing your heart rate monitor in the sack is not cool. Don't forget to stay properly hydrated and to have a recovery drink afterward.

mtbr member
    I could probably answer the question better witha visual aide of the girlfiend in quetion wearing her underwear... ........... Just kidding

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Get married and have a few kids, you won't have to worry about it.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I've often wondered this as well. A friend of mine told me the night before was fine, two nights before wasn't. Based on my personal observations i'd second this. I think it also depends on how hard you work in the sack, if you are a top, bottom, etc. I know if I go for more than three days i'm ready to kill the competition, not because i'm feeling strong necessarily, but 'cause the radiator is getting to the boiling point...

what was that tanker analogy, i've never heard that one.....
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    We had a huge debate about this in cross country...we came up with anything before 8 hours prior to the race and you will be ok. We never tried to get any really soon before the race (with everyone on the bus...it would be awkward), but I did run my best with a (slight) hangover. So anything's possible.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I thought I heard in the process of one my endocrinology courses that ejaculation will cause a rebound boost in testosterone levels - or maybe I'm just thinking of excuses that allow for the most sex with girls as possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    maybe if your girl paraded around her undies and said you won't get any unless you podium you'd do better...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great sex before a race helps me to focus on racing. If I see a hot babe while riding, I'll screw up, hit a tree, or chow down on some dirt.

Trying a little
    answer to original question: only if you ejaculate on your disc brake rotors

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

ride hard or die
    Mar 2004
    I have sex with two women at the same time, about 3 hours before a race. I find that if I do this, that I have at least something to brag about to my buddies if I do not come in 1st.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by traylseeker
    Great sex before a race helps me to focus on racing. If I see a hot babe while riding, I'll screw up, hit a tree, or chow down on some dirt.
    That reminds me of a race last year, it was hot and sunny and there was a young guy taking pictures of the race and with him was his scantily clad girlfriend. After I almost crashed looking at her t@ts I figured that was his plan. He was trying to distract the riders so he could get cool crash pictures. Good plan dude!

INVERSO2000
    Nov 2006
    Nothing personal, but what if someone where to abstaine for 3 weeks. I would ride my ass off just to finish the race and hit the heyeyeyeyeyey. You know what I mean...
    INVERSO2000

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Damn, if your gal is hot like you say maybe you should have her stand at one of the check points in them undies to distract the other racers!

Just hit it with speed
    Granted I don't race seriously or train that seriously I'd never let racing or any activity get in the way of getting some thats just crazy talk.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

My dogs are killin me
    Not to be too graphic here, but I play soccer biweekly and over the span of about a year with my wife and some...ahem...research on this topic.

I find that it all depends on who is doing the "work". If i'm the more active person during the act I have absolutely no legs for my game if it is the next day.

If i'm pretty passive, I find it doesn't effect me at all. I guess it's all in how much physical energy you expend. That's my $0.02.

Bite Me.
    I cannot believe that you haven't posted this inquiry in the Tooltime forum.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    you know, it might not have ANYTHING to do with Testosterone...When you skeet, other chemicals are released that make you relaxed and tired. This is why we want to nap after sex sometimes. These chemicals may make you less "awake" for your ride if they are present in your system when you ride. The thing is, the feeling generally subsides in 30min-an hour and after a few hours in a well hydrated person, i doubt the effect is still there.

on the other hand, if you are abstaining from sex with your partner to place better, you should do one or more of these things:

check your life priorities
    become a better rider
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Personality Matters

If you compete in events that require you to be a miserable creature even your momma wouldn't recognize... then abstain.

Some folks don't work well like though, so have at it.

I found for powerlifting meets that abstaining made you really edgy and focused. You'd look at the bar and think "I gonna make you move you no good, dirty,...". A roll in the hay makes you feel good from all the endorphins. That's not how you want to go into a war.

The effect is more psychological than anything so if it worries you, skip the night before session.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    My girl was walking around in some sexy undies
    This thread is useless without pictures.

--> Edit / addition

There is absolutely, positively nothing in the world worse than doing a 2 hr race with a case o' the blue balls.

Nothing. Nothing at all.
    Last edited by forkboy; 03-09-2007 at 03:04 PM.

dh1
    mtbr member
    Ever see the Seinfeld episode where George abstains from sex and becomes a genius because he can focus his energy somwhere else than trying to get laid??? One of my favorite episodes. He literally becomes an idiot after finally caving in to his urges. But for the single guy, getting laid is an achievement. It takes work to find a willing partner and finish the job. For a guy in a relationship there is a lot less forethought going into how you will get laid next. A lot more convenient and rewarding.

Anyway, I haven't really gagued it's effect on my biking or running. I can tell you it has absolutely no net effect on my weight lifting. Wieghts don't change from day to day, nor are they dependant on weather conditions. My max on the bench or squat rack doesn't flinch by as much as a pound the day after sex.

For me sex is a relaxer. When I am not getting any, I am easily agitated, when I am getting some...I am focused and relaxed. Provided it doesn't cut into your training or rest time, I can't see it making any significant impact. If it keeps you up for an extra 90 minutes, I could see you dragging the next day.

That being said, if you are a world class athlete in world class competition....anything other than focus on training could be a distraction. I doubt it has anything to do with testosterone level.

Medically speaking, your body dumps semen/testosterone on a daily basis wether you use it or not. I prefer to give it to my wife and let her decide how to use it.

Mexicali Biker
    Jul 2006
    Dude, you must try all possible combinations: having sex the night before, 1, 2 and 3 days before
    Having sex 1, 2, 3 ,4,... times during the week before the race
    You may also try having sex with different women, each of them may have a different impact in your performance
    Keep record of your performance and report it back here at the forum
    The good thing is that your girlfriend will feel she is highly involved in your training research
    good luck in both arenas!!!

I love mountain bike, it just educates

Team Bionic Pickle

Sex to help pre-race jitters?

Most people would agree that right after you have sex you're pretty relaxed right? Well, that might be a good head space to be in right before a race. If you can arrange to have some sex just before the race, I would imagine that the pre-race jitters and the associated higher heart rate that a lot of racers normally experience would be seriously diminished. Then the only thing raising your heart rate is the physical act of racing itself, and little else. And that might make you more competitive.

Anybody buying this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My heart rate has been up to 150 on the starting line and I just think of it as revving the engine, dump the clutch and peel out of there.

Photog Cyclist.
    I like to ejaculate before a ride because it is less weight to carry around!!!!!!!!

If people will ride with their headset cap off to save weight might as well go that extra enjoyable mile to drop some weight.

Just a thought
    We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    (Tim Mcgraw)

mtbr member
    I've heard of NO SEX TILL AFTER COMPETITION in various sports that I have practiced before (karate and mtbiking in competitive level) but I think that what coaches really want is FOCUS (specially in horny teenagers and us extra horny men)...

I've actually spent various minutes thinking of sex during a mtbike ride and it got me slow and looooose... jummm, try it yourself and let us know... jijijiji

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sex/ejaculation Should not make you slower, what will really hurtyour performance is going to be tha lack of sleep from the long night.

mtbr member

Great Q&A this week from Cyclingnews

For an unscientific answer I quote well known (to Australians) Rugby League coaching legend Jack Gibson. In reply to a similar query to yours he answered "It's not sex before a game that is detrimental to performance, but rather staying out all night looking for it."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...7/letters03-20

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ^^ exactly my thoughts...depends on if you're active or passive during it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well i wrestle as well as MTB and sometimes you have to just to make weight and i don't think it ever effects your performance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    my thoughts:

i've been a distance swimmer for the last 10 years and I also had had the good fortune of having sex quite a bit in that time (ok, mostly towards the end of those 12 years...come one i'm 24 now)

here's what i've found:
    sex the night before, the morning of, or even, on one special occasion, 30 minutes prior had little effect on my performance. (and the one 30 minutes prior was done standing up)

What has effected my performance:
    -when gf disses me the night before and can't sleep well
    -when I do not finish a few hrs before the race (you try swimming for 15 mins with a dull pain in your balls)
    -when I had a lot of sex the night before, day prior (like 4+ hrs)

here are a list of things that effected my performance more than sex:
    different pair of goggles
    had eggs for breakfast
    cute girl smile at me before the race
    drank several beers the night before
    could not find my towel before the race (i know, sounds stupid, but it stuck in my mind)
    water in one goggle piece
    suit slipped down in back
    it was raining
    it was sunny
    the clouds were moving (backstroke primarily)

however i think sex is like a lot of other things, if you think it will affect you, it will. So if you think you'll do better with no sex, go for it, send cute panty girl my way (discreetly, so my gf doesnt find out)

Hugged a Yeti Today?

Actually have seen some research...

Cant remember where exactly it was, but I have read some research on this very subject. Being in med school, I get to see some weird stuff in journals. What it boiled down to was that for guys sex the night before was actually beneficial to athletic performance. However, sex within 6 hours of the race was shown to decrease performance. On the flip side, for the ladies, sex was shown to be beneficial at anytime within 24 hours prior to competition.

So, get yours the night before. But if your woman is having a race coming up, heres a new reason to get her to have sex..... she'll perform better.