Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Don't Stop Spinnin'!

Will Sex/Ejaculation Before A Race affect performance?

I know many might think this is a retarded question but I have always wondered if having sex before a race; will affect a males performance due to a lack of testosterone level.

How this came to mind: My girl was walking around in some sexy undies and I got the idea that my Tanker needed an oil change... then tomorrows race came to mind... and then quickly vanished as the oil change continued. After the tanker was put away... I gave my previous question some thaught.

Where better to as this question. Guys here have been racing before I even knew mtb'ing existed... Or maybe someone in the medical field might have a scientific answer.

am I the only one that has wondered this?

Note: I used the "search" tool looking for a similar thread, and didnt find anything. (I apologize if this topic has been covered before.)

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    lower testosterone=less strength=less power. I notice a little bit more power from 2-3 weeks of abstaining. But hey, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah, i've been wondering this as well

mtbr member
    Okay, but how cute are those undies on her? It can be awfully hard to resist. If it does turn out to affect performance, my girl will be donning baggy sweatpants the week before race day. I hope this is a sticky thread.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by kranest
    Okay, but how cute are those undies on her? It can be awfully hard to resist. If it does turn out to affect performance, my girl will be donning baggy sweatpants the week before race day. I hope this is a sticky thread.

lmao... while looking at her in those undies... coming in last place really doesnt sound that bad...

HOO KOO KRAZY

define - "before a race"

Are we talking, night before?
    5 hours before...
    or (maybe) 5 minute before?

I'd abstain from the 5 minute thing for sure!
    get busy LIVIN or get busy DYIN!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    We need pictures of the girl in her sexy undies to make a proper evaluation.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i got it the night before in the series here and i discovered this. the first race i only got second. last night i got it lots and today i got first....by four minutes! i found my new favorite pre race tradition.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I tend to get a little stressed out before a race, so anything to help me relax. I've had sex a few hours before and done well for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I remember hearing that some coaches of olympic athletes say no sex within a couple of days of competition. Who knows why. With two little kids at home I'll take any sex I can get!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dude
    If you're passing up sex for the sake of race performance, then you have some soul-searching to do. It's all in your head so to speak. Get la*d and kick ass on the race course!!! It's a simple formula.

mtbr member
    "I notice a little bit more power from 2-3 weeks of abstaining"
    I'm a 53 year old who has been married to the same women for 31 years and I have got to say I have never ever gone that long. That's just crazy man, my wife would toss me and my bike if I even suggested it. Unless you getting big sponsorship checks you need to find yourself a girl with some sexy undies. If you are getting big sponsorship checks they should have found you by now. Cash the checks and get some. In your parked car just before the race might not be the best time but think of it this way. You abstain for three weeks, your break your neck in the race, you get to the pearly gates and everybodys laughing at you. I say go for it. Either that or take up racing when your 80.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I read that the pros don't have sex for weeks before the "Big Race" in France. My plan is to abstain on the night before a race and the one time I broke that rule I was whimpering, suffering puppy that came in 5th. So now I conserve that little bit of energy. As an aside, I was reading, in a bike mag, that regular coitus was best for performance because it relaxes you the most. Better than self or oral stimulation. Go figure!
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've read some more current training lit. that said sex can give you a boost in testosterone levels that would make the UCI blush. I think the "Dames make knees weak" school of thought is mythology.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I remember watching a interview with Roy Jones Jr. lightheavyweight champ, he said he would stop having sex for 7 days before his fights. I remember him saying it was a pretty big diffrence for him if he did have sex within those 7 days coming up to the fight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What makes you think abstaining boosts testosterone? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i used to kickbox one fight i had abstained for a month the next time i got some the morning of the fight didnt make a whole lot of difference for me. if your concerned try doing a very challenging ride after a week w/out sex then do it again without abstaining and then get all heavy into it with your lady and stop just before you get off. take careful note of your performance. i know the third one sounds weird but try it out you'll find yourself more aggressive in this state. the first two dont really make a difference for me but the third one does. I hope this is not too much info just tryin to help.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Wow....... some very strange concerns here.

...... laying pipe in the morning b4 a ride never slowed this steed down. Then again, I'm NOT a racer, just a pacer........!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DSB not condusive to race focus.

Abstaining for 3 weeks before a race would have me adjusting my seat a bit lower due to a DSB. Bump, tap, ouch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i don't think it's the act itself that makes weak legs so much as the act of chasing it around.
    If you're out on the town til 2 am wookin por nub, you're gonna suffer. If you're chilling at home, that's another story.
    Wearing your heart rate monitor in the sack is not cool. Don't forget to stay properly hydrated and to have a recovery drink afterward.

mtbr member
    I could probably answer the question better witha visual aide of the girlfiend in quetion wearing her underwear... ........... Just kidding

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Get married and have a few kids, you won't have to worry about it.

Vegan Athlete
    I've often wondered this as well. A friend of mine told me the night before was fine, two nights before wasn't. Based on my personal observations i'd second this. I think it also depends on how hard you work in the sack, if you are a top, bottom, etc. I know if I go for more than three days i'm ready to kill the competition, not because i'm feeling strong necessarily, but 'cause the radiator is getting to the boiling point...

what was that tanker analogy, i've never heard that one.....
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    We had a huge debate about this in cross country...we came up with anything before 8 hours prior to the race and you will be ok. We never tried to get any really soon before the race (with everyone on the bus...it would be awkward), but I did run my best with a (slight) hangover. So anything's possible.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I thought I heard in the process of one my endocrinology courses that ejaculation will cause a rebound boost in testosterone levels - or maybe I'm just thinking of excuses that allow for the most sex with girls as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast