mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Why is the XC racing season so early in the year?

Maybe this makes more sense in other climates but up here in Canadia, this simply seems ridiculous. There is still feet of snow at higher elevations, we're in the middle of our seasonal deluge of rain, the MTB season has barely begun and the race season is nearly over! The 4th Alberta cup race is coming up this weekend. Here's a photo from last year:
    Why is the XC racing season so early in the year?-im1.jpg

Sure, you can luck out and have good riding weather in March but the prime riding is July-Sept, so why does this not align with the race season? I was planning to race yesterday, but I decided an 8-hour slog through rain, mud and 10 degrees temps was not my idea of a good time. There has to be more fair-weather bikers that would improve turnouts if they held these events at a more appropriate date. Not to mention the abuse that the trails take in these conditions.

Wrench
    If you lived in Texas, you'd understand! That's odd though. Hard to ride in snow without the proper bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like you need to start a race series with the first race in June. Where I live (Utah) the races seem to work around school schedules. The local series starts in March Peaks in the summer and is wrapped up by august. In Utah you could do a mtb event of some sort 3 out of 4 weekends from march to nov if you wanted to.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    NYS race series starts this weekend (june 9th). 6 races through the summer ending around the 2nd weekend in Sept. If you can't devote every weekend to racing in a series I think this is a the perfect set-up. One every 3 weekends or so, gives me enough time to train and recover from race to race.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    You could move to FL where the state series starts at the end of summer and its still wicked hot and humid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Maybe this makes more sense in other climates but up here in Canadia, this simply seems ridiculous. There is still feet of snow at higher elevations, we're in the middle of our seasonal deluge of rain, the MTB season has barely begun and the race season is nearly over! The 4th Alberta cup race is coming up this weekend. Here's a photo from last year:

Sure, you can luck out and have good riding weather in March but the prime riding is July-Sept, so why does this not align with the race season? I was planning to race yesterday, but I decided an 8-hour slog through rain, mud and 10 degrees temps was not my idea of a good time. There has to be more fair-weather bikers that would improve turnouts if they held these events at a more appropriate date. Not to mention the abuse that the trails take in these conditions.
    I agree. I'm up in Edmonton and our race season is ridiculous. Part of it is because cross season starts in August/September, which is also crazy. I think a big part is becuase the summers are so short here, baseball, road/MTB/cross, camping, holidays are all jammed packed into a very small window.

Given that MTB is more flexible (we are after all riding a MTB), we get the shaft on the timeline (although I have seen beer league baseball in May in the snow which is really lame).

I too think it sucks as I reach my peak in July/August. There's lots of riding to be had in September/October/November, hell even December a few years back.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Two reasons:
    -Event conflicts.
    -Vacation

If you look at the summer calendar in Western Canada you see a couple of week long stage races (BCBR, Transrockies), through in a Canada Cup, and Nationals and there are not a lot of weekends.

The other side is most people don't race when they are on vacation. I know from years of racing that July and August races struggle. People tend to be doing other things.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I thought biking was the entire reason for vacation! A lot of people might not race on vacation, but I bet even more don't race when conditions are horrible. Especially if you're going to travel and have to commit weeks in advance; you don't know what you're getting into until a couple days before the event. The 8-hour enduro I skipped last weekend due to rain ended up getting cut short at 5 hours due to conditions.

There are plenty of road/track/BMX/DH events in the drier months, so I guess XC'ers just get the shaft Oh well, I had wondered if there was some regulation that all the regional organizations were supposed to have the same season or something, but I guess it's just a local thing.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I mean honestly is no one here familiar with the concept of different seasons for different regions LOL. I mean racing in the SNOW in Alberta sounds like fun or doing a 25 mile moto in 115 degree heat in Phoenix I am sure has its benefits for ALL the local hospitals but lets just keep it real next time you witness such an act of hatred for ones own person go up and offer them a good book to take back inside and read.
    In Yeshuah Messiah
    Bryan