Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I wreck alot

Why are the races so long?

I'm in the Southeast. Every MTB 'race' I can find down here is 12 hours/ 8 hrs of something or another. I've only seen one or two races that were actual set mileage on a course. Is this the norm? Riding for 8 to 12 hours sounds terrible to me.

XC racing really isn't my style, but Id like to try a few for fun. Are these half day races really what the XC scene is like?

Formerly of Kent
    No. Most "XC" races are in the 1.5-2hr range.

Endurance races are for old people that can't hang with the fast kids.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

i used to think this untill i did my first endurance race and got lapped by tinker .
    and to the op , xc races are from 1 to 2 hours depending on your ability

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Because only pussies race for 1.5-2 hours. Real men race for 6-12

mtbr member

yeah?... I beg to differ.

mtbr member
    Endurance races are for people who want to accomplish something big. Placing most times doesn't matter. They can say that "I finished the __________ race", then people can say "wow, that's incredible you did all that distance!".

BTW, our state's best endurance racer is 31. He's been bettering Tinker last few years.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Endurance races are for people who want to accomplish something big. Placing most times doesn't matter. They can say that "I finished the __________ race", then people can say "wow, that's incredible you did all that distance!".

BTW, our state's best endurance racer is 31. He's been bettering Tinker last few years.
    You hit it on the head. There is a place for the "just happy to finish" crowd in endurance racing. Not that the front of the race isn't fast and competitive.

Usually the guys who are tearing up 2 hour races are doing enough volume in training to successfully race endurance races on occasion too. They usually finish up near the front there, too.

I will say that in most endurance sports it's easier to race up (compared to your usual distance) and do well vs. race down.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

Big Boy
    I haven't done my first endurance race yet, but doing a 24 hour with a four man team sounds like an absolute blast to me. Not only the riding, but the hang out time with your buds.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    You're in florida? We have a whole XC racing series here in the state. Check out goneriding.com and the FSC series of races. We're in Gainesville in two weeks then the following week we're in Sunrise.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Formerly of Kent
    An error in judgement in my part.

No need to insult people on an internet forum; I apologize to one and all.

RLTW.
    Last edited by Le Duke; 10-09-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: I got all antsy in my pantsy.

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    You're in florida? We have a whole XC racing series here in the state. Check out goneriding.com and the FSC series of races. We're in Gainesville in two weeks then the following week we're in Sunrise.
    Thanks Possum Jones!

I'll check these out. I actually know someone who just went down to ride in the Alafia race. It's what sparked me looking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You've gotta be overlooking the shorter races in your area. You need to hook up with a local training group.

To me, these 8 hour/24 hour races are more for bragging rights to most of the riders. Of course, there are always a handful of guys who train hard to win these events. Similar to long distance runners. My dad has been religiously doing marathons for over 10 years now. He trains for a "personal record" not an overall podium finish. When he first started, it was only to prove to himself it can be done. Now it's turned into an addiction! He started doing halfs, then full marathons...then got into mini triathlons. His latest acheivment was his first ultra marathon. I have a lot of respect for what he does. It makes him happy if he does good or bad...it's all for the bragging rights within his group of friends. He told me the other day that "anyone can say they did a marathon, but to say you completed an ultra marathon is a real accomplishment." haha I got a kick out of this. What next? Iron man? .

Its pretty much the cycle of life. You start small...then slowly work your way up. If your not progressing, you end up at a stand still and may lose the passion for it. If you keep moving forward you'll always have a new goal to achieve. When someone says an 8/24 hour is for the old timers....you may be somewhat right...but only because they've done the 1.5/2 hour races and kept moving forward.

I don't think age has anything to do with it. It's the competitiveness inside you. I'm 28 and my pops is pushing 60....he will still give me a run for my money on a bike, swim, or run.

I wreck alot
    This forum is out of control.

I just got negative rep by someone with this:

"because youre looking in the wrong spot. Next time post such a negative topic without actually asking whats going on around you"

Why? Because I asked a question? Sheesh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Goneriding puts on some good events. I do Some of the GA Races they put on.

As far as Endurance for old people, Most XC races I have done are seperated by Class then Age. Funny thing, it seems the over 30 classes are often faster then the younger guys.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I do both sprints and 100 milers. 100milers are a bit more difficult.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    I think what Le Duke was trying to say (in a less than diplomatic fashion) is that it's harder to be highly competitive in XC events than finish midpack in an endurance race.

Just finishing an XC distance race is certainly easier than just finishing an endurance race... but not a lot of racers are there to "just finish" an XC race (with the exception of first-timers and true beginners).

Then again, "just finishing" a very long race is an accomplishment in and of itself.

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sounds like the tri scene, with lots of people doing Ironman to achieve 'something' vs doing the shorter distance events where there can be monstrous competition.

I for one would love to see 30-60 minute mountain bike races locally on a shorter, highly technical track.

mtbr member
    I think endurance racing is a nice reward for many years of hammering it out in shorter races. The pace being slower, it's a little safer for the older guys. Like Christoph Sauser or Tinker Juarez, the snap in the legs and aggressiveness may not be there, but they've still got plenty of endurance and skill.

I for one am looking forward to my 40s! With all those years of base in my legs, I'll set out across the country to do the NUE series. I'll have more money and time to travel.

But for now, I've got small kids and the state championship XC and road races are nearby and give me plenty to do within drives of less than 4 hours.

mtbr member
    As stated by many here most long races are for bragging rights and personal satisfaction. True XC races are 1 to 2 hours long. You may find longer XC races is parts of the country due to flat or technically easy terrain, but most are in the 10 - 27 mile range.

My last race in CAT 2 was 17 miles. My next race is 21. I did do a 12 hour race in the middle of summer that I was able to do 6 10 mile laps in. Some of the guys and gals did the 24 hour race and had over 200 miles!! I think they are crazy..... LOL!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    I just got negative rep too, "Don't Like You" LOL.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    I think endurance racing is a nice reward for many years of hammering it out in shorter races. The pace being slower, it's a little safer for the older guys. Like Christoph Sauser or Tinker Juarez, the snap in the legs and aggressiveness may not be there, but they've still got plenty of endurance and skill.

I for one am looking forward to my 40s! With all those years of base in my legs, I'll set out across the country to do the NUE series. I'll have more money and time to travel.

But for now, I've got small kids and the state championship XC and road races are nearby and give me plenty to do within drives of less than 4 hours.
    I'm going to agree with this viewpoint, because it makes me feel better about my coming decades

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post

Maybe you should do a NUE race before you talk down about them.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Maybe you should do a NUE race before you talk down about them.
    I don't think I was talking down about NUE races. I suppose I was implying that endurance mountain bike racing worked better for older racers. I've never done a 100-miler but I've raced an 85-miler and 50 milers before; I'm in my 30s now. I personally would prefer to do the longer races, but I think I'll perform better with more years of experience in my legs.

If someone is being a jerk about stuff and harassing people, then I suppose the tone of the conversation should be reported to the moderators and the rep system is something that may be worth looking into. Which one of us do you think is doing that?

Latest negative rep:

"U mad?"
    (N)"Either do I"
    "don't discuss rep"
    "NO ONE CARES about your neg rep."
    Last edited by chomxxo; 10-10-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    I think what Le Duke was trying to say (in a less than diplomatic fashion) is that it's harder to be highly competitive in XC events than finish midpack in an endurance race.

Just finishing an XC distance race is certainly easier than just finishing an endurance race... but not a lot of racers are there to "just finish" an XC race (with the exception of first-timers and true beginners).

Then again, "just finishing" a very long race is an accomplishment in and of itself.
    I'm quoting myself just to emphasize how reasonable my post was earlier. I received negative feedback for this, too.

If you have a different viewpoint, please defend it. If you leave negative feedback, please sign it. I'm pretty sure that nothing I typed should have been taken as offensive.

www.e3ehp.com

Registered Dietitian
    What category do you race in for "sprint" races? Just curious, as this might affect your impression of which is more difficult.

I hope this is taken in the spirit of furthering the discussion, as it is intended, and not as worthy of negative rep.

www.e3ehp.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast