mtbr member
    May 2013

why no (proportionally lighter) 40 or 60mm travel forks?

It seems like there would be a market for something between a rigid carbon fork and a typical XC sus fork... Is there something out there I don't know about? Maybe a light, minimal travel fork?

I'm building an Adventure racing bike for long distances on double track and dirt roads (some pavement). If it was just the riding, I'd choose a carbon fork and use it and tubeless tires as my 'suspension', but there's also 45 or so miles of running and paddling in the mix and I'd like the confort of a little softer ride, but don't want the 2.5 lb increase of a my sus fork (or the $700 increase of a really light 80-100 XC fork).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    if you're riding 26" wheels, you can get an old Sid or really just about any old fork and be happy with 63mm of travel. They're somewhat noodly but there are plenty out there.

ups and downs
    The problem would be that all the extra weight in a suspension fork comes from the structure to make the suspension fork stiff, so the weight of a 40-60mm fork will be virtually the same as a 80-100mm fork.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

why no (proportionally lighter) 40 or 60mm travel forks?

A fork that fits what you're after would be the Lauf Trail Racer fork. It's a carbon fork which uses a leaf spring giving 60mm of suspension travel. It has a claimed weight of 980g:

http://www.laufforks.com/TheLaufTrailRacer.aspx

For comparison a Rock Shox Sid XX World Cup 29 fork has a claimed weight of around 1572g (including 15mm Maxle Lite thru axle which is roughly 80g).

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/sid-xx-world-cup

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Lauf is (will be???) a neat offering that fills the gap I mentioned for 29ers (my bike in question is a 650b front/26" Rear). Any Idea on price? Very cool concept, hope it happens!

Think I'll just go w my carbon fork and low tire preasure.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I added a spacer to my RS Reba and reduced travel to 60mm. Its been working great so far. I have a 26er with a 100mm fork and never felt comfortable with the geometry change on a hardtail with that much travel. My 29er with 60mm of travel rolls through the same stuff as the 100mm and the dampening effect is similar with less geometry change from less travel.

Although, it doesn't reduce the weight at all. I also have a '98 Sid and is the definition of noodly. It also has no rebound adjustment. I keep it on my "trip to the in-laws" bike.