That's right....

Why dont the Pros use Camelbaks?

Using a waterbottle where i typically ride is completely out of the question. Its just too rocky and you never have ample time on any smooth flat to pull out a bottle, drink and put it back in. Using a camelbak has just always appealed to me. I have the original Rocket which carries about 70oz, is light, compact and fits everything i need. ive never raced without it and cant imagine riding without it. That being said, why does every pro on the circuit use waterbottles exclusively?
    The camelbak just seems soooo much more convenient and safe.
    can someone explain please?

thanks guys!

[paste title here]
    Most racers are usually carrying two bottles and have plenty of points on the course to get a new bottle. Just having a pack on your back is too much in a race. If their doing 40 min laps (9 mile each) and usually you should drink one bottle an hour then each lap, then they can just get another bottle. Of course Im using a pack similar to the rocket and I dont really have issues with it. I would like to ride without a pack someday, keeps me cooler.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Offtopic:

I use 1 l bottle in the bike and two 0,5 bottles in the jersey pockets(left,right), third pocket is for energy gel and mobilephone. Then i got 1 l bottle in the beginning of a lap.

I've tried to use a camelbak but then i realised that i drink way to little.

On Topic:

mtbr member
    A camelback would cover up the sponser's name and logo...

mtbr member
    I use bottles on most local courses and a camelback on a few depending on the type of terrain. Most of the local races are not technical so bottles are really no big deal here. I also like bottles because I can chug them down rather than sip out of the pack, and the pack is extra weight and gets hot. I think the use of camelbacks is viewed as provincial to the more seemingly "sophisticated" roadie cross overs. Afterall when racing it's all about how you look rather than how fast you are right?
    You can't test courage cautiously.

-Annie Dillard

MTB B'dos
    Although some may laugh at SC's statement and think it's a joke, it really isn't and I think is a very legitimate reason they don't use Hydration packs along with the fact that one bottle weighs a lot less than a 70oz Hydration pack and doesn't add to the heat on your body. They have people to hand them bottles throughout the race.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer
    A camelback would cover up the sponser's name and logo...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

vegan cyclocross disco
    I think it really comes down to need. they just don't need water like an average person does. Elite road, A cross, Expert/Pro mt. biker racers are just more tuned and go longer with less water. They have mastered fueling up before the race and only need a little for a 1-2 hour race. That's my belief, based on riding with and watching semi-pro's, cat 1's and the like...

Members who have read this thread: 0